Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Mickjorr
AF Newbie

Ford Taurus 2002 Airbag light

I have a Ford Taurus 2002 with an airbag light problem. When I start the car the airbag lights but won't turn off. Any Idea what the problem may be? Thanks, Mick
Mickjorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Ford Taurus 2002 Airbag light

Welcome to the forum!

Next time you start the car, pay close attention to the light for the first minute or so. It should flash out a pattern. For example, flash, flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, long pause, etc. would indicate a code 32. After some amount of time (30 seconds, 1 minute, I don't remember) the lamp will stop flashing and just remain on.

If you can post back with any Lamp Fault Codes, we can try to help you narrow down the issue.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Mickjorr
AF Newbie

Thanks, I'll check it this evening and get back to you. Mick
Old 01-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Mickjorr
AF Newbie

Rod, The light flashes three times then pauses and then flashes 4 times. It is then repeated several times then stays on constantly. Mick
Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

That would indicate a code 34. Per the factory service manual, Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Lamp Fault Code (LFC) indicates Safety Belt Pretensioner Status (Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Failure).

Have you had this car since new, or has this code been there awhile? There are seat belt pre-tensioners that, when activated by a crash, tighten, or pre-tension, the seat belts. Many times these are explosive charges and are therefore a one-time use device. A good pre-tensioner should fall within a specific resistance range. If the circuit is out of this range, the code 34 is activated.

A high-end scan tool capable of monitoring the airbag system could help you determine if this is likely a wiring fault, or a pre-tensioner fault by displaying the resistance reading that the computer is receiving. To really determine if this is likely a wiring issue or an actual faulty part, you will need to get the resolution provided by the proper scan tool.

-Rod
Old 01-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Mickjorr
AF Newbie

Thanks Rod, The car was purchased used with the problem. Everything about the car is fine it's just the air bag problem. You mentioned that it could possibly be the seat belt tensioner. Is this an expensive repair? I am fighting with the dealer to get it fixed (at their cost). I will keep you posted with the results. Again, thank you for your input. Mick
Old 01-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

I honestly don't know how expensive of a repair the pre-tensioner would be. If the part failed on its own, not due to an accident, it might fall under a different, longer manufacturer warranty. If it was due to an accident and you bought the car as-is, then it will probably be up to you to fix, unless it was negotiated (in writing) in the purchase agreement.

-Rod
Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Air bag and seatbelts are minimum coverage of 50,000 miles or 5 years (whichever occurs first). If the light was on when purchased, the dealer should be responsible for the repair.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Mickjorr
AF Newbie

Thanks to all for helping me out. The problem was infact a defective module and a seatbelt pretensioner. The dealer didn't want to fix it, but finally agreed to at their cost. If I didn't have knowledge of the problem (from you) I would have been at the mercy of the dealer. Just a note; when a dealer says they can't help solve the problem ask to speak to their manager and keep going up until you get satisfaction. Mick
Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
keroo_c
AF Newbie

I've been having this same error for a long time. I spoke to a mechanic at a dealership who didn't seem 100% trustworthy, and he told me that if there is ANYthing causing the airbag light to blink, then the airbags won't deploy. Does this sound right?

On the one hand, I can't afford the repair cost he quoted me, on the other hand, I can't afford to be driving around without airbags.
keroo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
shorod
SHO No Mo

There is a high liklihood that if the light is flashing, the airbags won't deploy. If the SRS computer determines that the Supplemental Restraint System is not reliable, it may deactivate it to prevent accidental discharge. I'm not sure that in all cases, an SRS error will cause the SRS computer to deactivate the airbags though. I'd have to refer to the owner's or service manual.

-Rod
Old 01-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
keroo_c
AF Newbie

Thank you. I'm actually about to go start talking financing on a new car. I think my Taurus and I have had just about enough of each other.
keroo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
mwt878991
AF Regular

A little off topic but if your ABS light is on your ABS won't engage either

Mike
mwt878991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #14
sphardrocker
AF Newbie

I also have a 2002 Ford Taurus with the airbag light on. The light also flashes 3 times, pauses, flashes 4 times, and repeats. Also the car has a salvage title so yes it has been in a wreck, but that was over 30,000 miles ago. So is this light caused by the crash or faulty equipment? Is there a way I can fix this myself? or should I take it to the dealership? Sorry to bombard ya with several ???'s but I jus wanna save as much money as possible.
sphardrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #15
shorod
SHO No Mo

Welcome to the forum!

The pretensioner was likely activiated by the prior accident, but not know the history of the wreck or when the light came on, that's a guess.

As for addressing if you can fix this yourself, you're the only one that can judge that. How much experience do you have working on the interiors of cars? Do you have access to a service manual that give the cautions of working on this system? Do you have the appropriate tools?

Your safest bet would be to take the car to the dealership or a body shop (I'm not sure which would be cheaper) to have the repair done, but depending on your skills and tools, you may be able to do it yourself. I haven't tackled one of these so I can't speak to what's involved or any "gotchas."

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon