Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Gudog
AF Newbie

Smile 2000 Sable DPFE Sensor

I just bought a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium with a 6 cyl 3.0 Dohc for my sons first vehicle.

Check engine light was on and Autozone showed a 1401 Code. I looked on this website and youtube for solutions. The car idled fine but the gas was very touchy (jumping acceleration) and gas mileage was very very bad. Based on the internet search, it sounded like I had a bad DPFE sensor. I purchased a Motorcraft/Ford DPFE Sensor online (original packaging). I pulled the old sensor and two supply tubes off. The supply tiues appear to be rubber inside and appeared to be worn inside. I used a pipe cleaner to clear the loose orange dust/debris from the tubes and re-installed. I then installed the new DPFE sensor. I had taken the negative cable off for 15 minutes to clear the check engine light and re-connected. I started the car and it reved to 1300 RPM, after 15 seconds or so the idle dropped as normal but then the car began to sputter. It had difficulty idling (like it was choking) and then it stalled. I started it again and tried giving it some gas but when returning to idel on its own it kept bouncing around below 1,000 RPM and stalled. The third time I started it I left it sputter for a few seconds and all of a sudden there was a small noise that sounded like something kicked in or cleared out. The car immediately began to idle great on its own and everything in the world was right. My son drove his car for the first time and loved it. We went about 15 miles and it ran great. The next day (today), I went out to start the car just to test it again before he takes it to school tommorrow.....and guess what...sputter again. Started it 3 or 4 times and nothing changed. I drove it down the road hoping something would clear out again. It seemed to to run fine at speed but when I came to the stop sign it wanted to die again. I brought it home and still sputtering in the driveway. I shut it off and headed for the pc. Right now, I am thinking I should put the old DPFE back on and see if that does anything.....I doubt that it will...but that is all that I changed and it idled fine prior to that swithc. Can anyone out there help? It will be greatly appreciated my both my son and myself!

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Last edited by Gudog; 11-06-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Gudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Gudog
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Sable DPFE Sensor

Anybody?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Gudog
AF Newbie

The Reply's keep flooding in!

(2 Replies and both are me!)

In case someone does not think I am worth the time.....please see that i am trying hard and need some help!

Because this sputtering started with the DPFE sensor replacement, I went ahead and put the old one back in. Still sputters. This whole sputtering started with the DPFE sensor replacement.

I went out on youtube and found instructions on how to find and clean the AMF. It was easy to unhook and looked clean. I cleaned it with CNC MAF cleaner and let it dry. The video I watched also suggested cleaning the Throttle Body and Idle Air Control. The Throttle body has some black buildup on the lip just inside the circular plate so I cleaned that out with a toothbrush and the CNC. I then looked at the Idle Air Control and it also had a black buildup in the hole where the spring is. I cleaned it with CNC and swabs.

I put everything back together and re-attached the battery. Started the car...and sputter again. Idle goes down and bounces between 350 and 600 RPM and from outside you can see the vibration of the motor and hear the puffs coming out of the exhaust. It actuall stall sometimes with the brake on. I tried driving the car as someone said that the computer may have to re-adjust. Drive 100 yards, stop, turn the car off...restart. This did very little if anything. Then I tried going in reverse for a distance. Odd enough...this seemed to bounce the idle up to 1,100 Rpms and when I stopped it held there. I then drove the car some more and immediately noticed that we had some high revs. The car shifted fine, but it was reving so high that it would almost go by itself. The RPM's would bounce up to 1500 and then work down to 1,000. It would do this every 15 seconds or so. When I stopped, the car idled sometimes (at 1,100) and then eventually would suffer a harsh drop down to the 350 - 500 sputter again. So what we now have is a sputter idle on the low end with an occasional high idle that lets you accelerate with hitting the gas and while driving lets you get up to 40, take your foot off the gas...and continue above 35 MPH almost like its on cruise control!

When I got home I opened the hood and while I might be wrong, I thought I heard a strong hissing sound coming from the area near or below the Idle Air Control.

I really thought this might be a computer problem due to the battery detachment (as that was the only other thing that i did when I replaced the DPFE sensor). Might the hissing be a clue? I have a mechanic that treats me well (not cheap but is honest). My experiment with the car might be over unless someone has an idea out there. Any thoughts are apprecaited no matter what as they can only help brainstorm the problem for both me and my mechanic.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
65comet
AF Enthusiast

The hissing most likely is a vacuum leak. I usually post most problems with my sable in the taurus area, since mechanically they are the same, and SHO Rod is in there all the time. He has a lot of experience with these cars.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote