Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
bobrome1
AF Newbie

Check eng lite + code P0761

1998 Sable, have check eng lite on somtimes! Get "p0761" code. I read on this site that there is a problem "RETAINING CLIP FOR FORWARD CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE" could this set the CHECK ENG LITE and p0761 code? In the post it states that it sets the Overdrive lite on and off, not the check eng lite.
bobrome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
mtnlovrs
AF Newbie

Re: Check eng lite + code P0761

P0761 - Shift Solenoid "C" stuck off.
It's possible the Shift Solenoid is bad or damaged, or the wiring for it is damaged. This solenoid is located in the valve body of the transmission so I would recommend that a qualified mechanic look at it. With the problem being intermittent, I think it could be a damaged or dirty transmission connector or wiring. I did not read the other post you're referring to, so I don't know about the "clip". Good luck.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
mtnlovrs
AF Newbie

Okay, I found and read the other thread refuring to the retaining clip. I suppose it's possible but from your post it sounds like you're OD light is not flashing and you're only getting P0761, not the other codes. I would still go with my previous post and say it's wiring, the connector or the shift solenoid.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
jamgirl90
AF Newbie

Ok so I have a 1998 Mercury Sable. I recently had to put in a transmission because the oil pump what shattered and the torque converter was stripped our. A put a 1998 Ax4n column shift in it and had to change only one piece on the neutral safty switch. Now when I drive 65 and up the service engine soon light comes on and gives me the code P0761. I did change the 3rd Solenoid and the wiring harnes in the transmission and it is still giving the same code. Any ideas?!?!
jamgirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
mtnlovrs
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamgirl90 View Post
Ok so I have a 1998 Mercury Sable. I recently had to put in a transmission because the oil pump what shattered and the torque converter was stripped our. A put a 1998 Ax4n column shift in it and had to change only one piece on the neutral safty switch. Now when I drive 65 and up the service engine soon light comes on and gives me the code P0761. I did change the 3rd Solenoid and the wiring harnes in the transmission and it is still giving the same code. Any ideas?!?!
I'm only guessing here, but it could be a loose or poor connection in the harness plug or you got a bad solenoid. I know, but sometimes they do that. Good luck.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable