Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 06:17 PM   #16
bridget36907
AF Regular

autozone can't test my bonnie because of the year (94) and the last time I took it to pontiac they said no codes were stored?

but I do get the check engine light!

1995 Chevy Caprice
LT1 5.7

1986 Dodge Ram
bridget36907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 08:11 AM   #17
fritcr
AF Regular

94 Bonnie

I know this will sound crazy but I just sold my 94 and we went through this dying stuff and all for almost a year. No one could figure out what was wrong. I spend close to $1,000 on it and finally fixed it myself. It was the Fuel Pump Relay under the dash on the passenger side. I did ECM's...coil paks, plug wires and plugs. Mass air flow, TPS, EGR, Fuel pump...fuel TANK, Fuel filter...on and on....this was the dealer doing all of this. Then I fixed it with a $3 relay from Autozone. It never did it again. We just sold it and bought a 97 SE a few weeks ago.
Rob
fritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 08:38 AM   #18
bridget36907
AF Regular

Re: 94 Bonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritcr
I know this will sound crazy but I just sold my 94 and we went through this dying stuff and all for almost a year. No one could figure out what was wrong. I spend close to $1,000 on it and finally fixed it myself. It was the Fuel Pump Relay under the dash on the passenger side. I did ECM's...coil paks, plug wires and plugs. Mass air flow, TPS, EGR, Fuel pump...fuel TANK, Fuel filter...on and on....this was the dealer doing all of this. Then I fixed it with a $3 relay from Autozone. It never did it again. We just sold it and bought a 97 SE a few weeks ago.
Rob
Wow How hard was this to get to? I will try it thanks

1995 Chevy Caprice
LT1 5.7

1986 Dodge Ram
Old 10-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #19
fritcr
AF Regular

94 Bonnie

It was really easy to get to. It is on a sort of panel under the dash (glove box) right up against the fender on the passenger side. It is a little metal relay that pushes in on that panel.
Rob
fritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:50 AM   #20
bridget36907
AF Regular

ok these are teh codes i got when i got it scanned....anyone canh tell me what they mena if possible!

740 torque Converter (traction control?)
361 EST line not toggling
321 no 18X ignition pulse (crank Sensor)
101 Mass Air Flow Failure (maf) which i took off while celaning the throttle body...that's how this code could have been set!

thanks

1995 Chevy Caprice
LT1 5.7

1986 Dodge Ram
Old 11-10-2003, 04:01 PM   #21
dradz
AF Newbie

Dealership fixed my problem!

The dealership took the car in again (they had replaced the EGR valve when the original code was set), this time they promised they would fix the hesitation AND THEY DID! They traced it to the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). The car runs like new! EVen with 90K+ miles on it, it GOES now when you put the pedal down -- no hesitation, it's GREAT.

Good luck to all and thanks for all the advice!
dradz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:07 AM   #22
RABarrett
AF Enthusiast

Something to consider here. The computer sets codes for several reasons, but the bottom line is simple. The ECM compares sensor readings to what is programmed into it, comparing sensor readings, and comparing them to established parameters in the software. If the EGR valve code is set, it is because the EGR sensor "readings" "appear" to be off. The software could have been corrupted, the sensor itself could be intermittent, other comparative sensors, such as the TPS, airflow meter, or any other engine sensor used to calculate load could be the culprit. Simply "knee-jerking" to what the computer says is indicative of a thorough misunderstanding of how the system operates. My dog could fix cars if it was that simple. It is also possible for plug wires to cause an EGR code if the engine's surging is caused by this. Think about it; the engine surges due to the plug wire condition, the computer thinks the EGR valve is not open wide enough to cause that, it therefore "thinks" the EGR valve is then the cause. The computer cannot test plug wires, it can only guess at what is causing the miss; if it sees surge, it compares this condition to the EGR valve position, assumes the EGR is at fault due to "multiple" misfires, and reacts. The tech also reacts since he is as uninformed or as stupid as the computer is and replaces the indicated part at your expense. Voila, a misdiagnosis, an unhappy customer. The vehicle's systems are not the problem, techs are. My advise: the next time your vehicle is in the shop for something like this, insist that the tech prove to you that he has correctly diagnosed the problem and is replacing the correct part. Any time I dealt with customers, I explained to them the problem, how it affected the vehicle's performance, and showed them the defect. It is ok to play stupid here. If you do not understand what is happening, insist that the tech show you. It is his responsibility, nee his obligation, to explain, to your satisfaction, what has happened. Informed customers were my best customers. The more questions they asked, the better I could explain the problem, making the "sale" easier. Tell the tech that you want to see what the computer is telling him. The computer will display a freeze frame display of the events surrounding the event that set the code. If he thoroughly understands the event, he can explain it to you. If he cannot explain it to you, he cannot properly fix the problem. I will assist in any way I can. My apologies for climbing on my soap box. Ray
RABarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:59 AM   #23
bridget36907
AF Regular

Re: check engine light on 95 bonneville

740 torque Converter (traction control?)
361 EST line not toggling
321 no 18X ignition pulse
101 Mass Air Flow Failure

1995 Chevy Caprice
LT1 5.7

1986 Dodge Ram
Old 02-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #24
Diseman
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Diseman Send a message via AIM to Diseman Send a message via MSN to Diseman Send a message via Yahoo to Diseman

I also have a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville with a check engine light on.....none of the local parts stores has a scanner that can get the codes (supposedly)...Is there a way I can get the codes myself at home? That is....maybe turning the key on and off three time such as some other car makes?
Diseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #25
bsansa
AF Newbie

95 was the year they crossed between a OBD 1 and OBD 2. Although the connector is a OBD 2 it's actually a OBD 1.5. You will need a scanner that is capable of scanning a 95 and Autozone will not have that. You'll have to either take it to a mechanic or the dealership.
bsansa is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville