Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Formula-One
View Poll Results: Which series has the most skilled drivers?
Formula One drivers are the most skilled 1 16.67%
World Rally Drivers are the most skilled 2 33.33%
It is a tie, both series demand equal amounts of skill 1 16.67%
Drivers dealing with my daily commute are the most skilled!!! 1 16.67%
None of the above 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 04:54 PM   #1
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

How is better, WRC drivers or F1 drivers?

F1 drivers are driving the fastest cars on the planet, but they do not deal with the chaos that World Rally Championship drivers deal with.

Which series do you think has the most skilled drivers?
Old 06-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Were you so bored over in the Nascar forum you had to come to the F1 forum and start useless polls?

The comparison criteria between F1 and Rally are so vastly different it is easier to compare F1 to Nascar than to the WRC.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by freakray
Were you so bored over in the Nascar forum you had to come to the F1 forum and start useless polls?

The comparison criteria between F1 and Rally are so vastly different it is easier to compare F1 to Nascar than to the WRC.
Seriously. No offense, but try to come up with a more realistic poll.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Welcome to Snobs'r'us.

Just when I hoping that there would be some down to earth F1 fans. I guess I was wrong.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:05 PM   #5
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally posted by vectorclub
Welcome to Snobs'r'us.

Just when I hoping that there would be some down to earth F1 fans. I guess I was wrong.
What? We're snobs because we think your poll is unrealistic in what you're asking us to compare?
You're welcome to leave already, I am sure you won't be missed.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:29 AM   #6
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
unrealistic in what you're asking us to compare?
Let me do what you cannot seem to do.

If you look at the basics of racing, it is a drivers ability to control a machine on a set course under a set of circumstances.

In F1, the driver is trying to control machine loaded with more technology then any other race series. The conditions a F1 driver faces is very controlled when compared to WRC. In WRC, the driver controls a machine with less technology and more variables.

At the heart of both series is the drivers ability to over come the variables to win the race. In my opinion, drivers in WRC face a larger number of variables.

The physical demands of WRC appear higher. F1 drivers do feel high G forces, but the pounding taken by WRC drivers seems tougher. In the physical demand category, WRC drivers are better.

The margin for error seems smaller in F1. WRC cars can take more abuse then an F1 car. F1 engines appear to be more sensitive then WRC cars. This means an F1 driver would have to be extra aware of his vehicle then a WRC driver. In this area F1 drivers have a slight edge.

Both series require drivers that can understand the limits of the their vehicles and how to find the fastest line through the turns. F1 drivers have a basic track that they do hundreds of laps on. WRC drivers face tracks that change every year and that they may run a couple of times. The length of the WRC course makes it hard to memorize the turns. WRC navigators helps a ton, but it is not like being able to drive a course hundreds of times like F1 drivers get to do. This means WRC drivers have to be better at quickly assessing the best line through a turn. In this area WRC, drivers have the edge.

Both series are tough to get into. Drivers who at the top of each series should be respected as among the best drivers in the world.

After comparing these two series, it is my opinion, that the top drivers in WRC are more skilled then F1 drivers.

It is a free country and you can say what you want. I just showed you one way to compare the two series drivers.

Quote:
The comment above is what inspired the snobs'r'us comment.

People may not always be interested in what I have to say, just as some people may not be interested in what someone else has say. To say my polls are useless is your right, but comes across as being a jerk.

All I was doing was getting people to think about a variety of things. Something different then did you see the last race or who will win this week. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is nice to have variety.

I was disappointed that to see people would not even try to compare the two series. After reading my post you may still feel there is no way to compare the two, but in my view you can compare them.

If I have offended any AF F1 posters with the snobs thing, I apologize, but there are times when people come across at stuck up.

Last edited by vectorclub; 06-07-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:52 AM   #7
z33guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to z33guy
when irvine rode with mcrae in the focus, he said it was better than sex or something like that.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:36 AM   #8
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
In F1, the driver is trying to control machine loaded with more technology then any other race series. The conditions a F1 driver faces is very controlled when compared to WRC. In WRC, the driver controls a machine with less technology and more variables.
There is just as much technology in WRC cars as in F1 cars, it is utilised in different ways though.

Quote:

The margin for error seems smaller in F1. WRC cars can take more abuse then an F1 car. F1 engines appear to be more sensitive then WRC cars. This means an F1 driver would have to be extra aware of his vehicle then a WRC driver. In this area F1 drivers have a slight edge.
The margin for error is minimal in both series, in my opinion the WRC drivers are more aware of the vehicle than F1 guys, since they are controlling the car over continuously changing surfaces. If you watch any WRC event on a gravel surface, the driver is continuously correcting the line of the vehicle, this would mean he/she has to be accutely aware of the vehicles position and velocity. Just watch any WRC driver slide a corner and see how many times they turn the wheel alone - acute awareness of the car's action.
WRC engines are sensitive, if they weren't you wouldn't see drivers pull out of rallies because of engine or hydraulic failure, the difference is the WRC engine is designed to take the highly variable torque loads and blows that come with the WRC.

Quote:

Both series are tough to get into. Drivers who at the top of each series should be respected as among the best drivers in the world.

After comparing these two series, it is my opinion, that the top drivers in WRC are more skilled then F1 drivers.
Not any more, with the new FIA rules in the WRC it is a lot easier to get to the top level, the trick is staying there.
I think for both series, the drivers are equally skilled, comparing them subjectively won't tell you much since the physical and mental demands on the drivers in both series are completely different.

Quote:

I was disappointed that to see people would not even try to compare the two series. After reading my post you may still feel there is no way to compare the two, but in my view you can compare them.

If I have offended any AF F1 posters with the snobs thing, I apologize, but there are times when people come across at stuck up.
Funny enough, the only person coming across as stuck up to me, is you, since you obviously can't take the criticism.
A good 90% of the posters in the F1 forum are also active in the Rally forum, so we are VERY aware of the differences between the 2 disciplines.

I am sorry if you think I am stuck up jerk, but I really don't care if you do, I am a full-time fan of F1 and WRC, have been all my life and I still don't think there is any comparing the 2.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:53 PM   #9
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by z33guy
when irvine rode with mcrae in the focus, he said it was better than sex or something like that.
He also said there is no way he could drive like Mcrae, and didn't even want to try.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:15 PM   #10
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally posted by Veyron

He also said there is no way he could drive like Mcrae, and didn't even want to try.
Wonder if he meant all the crashes :hehe:
Old 06-07-2003, 04:25 PM   #11
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey Freakray,

the qoute above is a jerk comment in my view. You may not care that I think you are acting like a jerk and that is fine. If you are not a jerk, you might have left that comment off your posting and just said, I do not think the two series can be compared. I would have been fine with just, I find these polls pointless.

I can take the comments. I work in the media and deal with critics on a daily basis. There is no way to make everyone happy. Thankfully, we all do not think the same way. I respect other peoples points of view. I think some people could tone down the attitude and just make a point.

Odds are you are not reallya jerk. From where you stand, your comment was fine. From where I stand, your comment was worded in such a way as to insult or to bash me. If that is what you like to do, then you are a snobish jerk.

Just remember, what goes around comes around.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #12
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:

Hey Freakray,

the qoute above is a jerk comment in my view. You may not care that I think you are acting like a jerk and that is fine. If you are not a jerk, you might have left that comment off your posting and just said, I do not think the two series can be compared. I would have been fine with just, I find these polls pointless.

I can take the comments. I work in the media and deal with critics on a daily basis. There is no way to make everyone happy. Thankfully, we all do not think the same way. I respect other peoples points of view. I think some people could tone down the attitude and just make a point.

Odds are you are not reallya jerk. From where you stand, your comment was fine. From where I stand, your comment was worded in such a way as to insult or to bash me. If that is what you like to do, then you are a snobish jerk.

Just remember, what goes around comes around.
You're entitled to your opinion too, but because Mr Media doesn't like my opinion I am now a snob?
I guess you're a hypocrite too?

I responded to your previous post on why you think the WRC drivers are better, I note you don't have a response to that, your only response is to bash me for my first post.
Do you honestly think that makes you a better person than me now?

Working in the media doesn't make you anything special, but it should at least equip you with better grammer. spelling and typing skills.
How do you explain that?

I am sorry you think I am jerk, perhaps I should not have made the comment, but surely if you were the better person, then you would have let it slide instead of gnawing on it like a dog with a bone?
For somebody who claims than can deal with comments and criticism, you certainly took it personally.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:39 PM   #13
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Working in the media does not make you anything special, but it should at least equip you with better grammar. spelling and typing skills.
Did I say working in the media makes more special, NO! The reason I said that, was that people working in the media deal with more critics then most people have to deal with.

As far as grammar issues, since this is just a message board, I do not always take the time to check grammar. I think of this as more like a bar where people are talking then a formal article for a magazine or television show. That is why I never make a fuss when other goof in their postings.

Many people in media make mistakes typing.

Quote:
I am sorry you think I am jerk, perhaps I should not have made the comment, but surely if you were the better person, then you would have let it slide instead of gnawing on it like a dog with a bone?
The only reason I brought up the comment was that people sometimes do not realize what they are saying sometimes. Ten years ago, I use to write some harsh comments while making a point. I just thought I was making a point. My hope was to just remind people that certain approaches could be better then others.

Just looking over this board, I should have started by getting to the point. Instead, I played the attitude game by calling you a snob.

I am more convinced you are not a jerk now. If you were a true jerk, you may have gone back into name-calling or stupid comments.

For anyone reading my postings, just know I never think of myself better then anyone. My posting will and do have grammar issues and typing errros. Just the title of this thread was goofed. I had started to type, "How would you compare WRC drivers and F1 drivers." Then I changed my mind, but did not back space enough to erase the old title and then I got into a rush. Before I realized it, the title of thread is screwed. Thankfully most people got the idea.

I am also a product of that fine American public school system. I am doing better then many of my fellow victim, but I have a long ways to go before I would ever claim to be an expert writer.

I hope people remember that the words posted on messages boards and in e-mails can be misunderstood. You do not hear the tone or way a person is saying something. Body language also adds changed the meaning of some statements. Now I am getting way off topic, so I will stop here.

On my end it is all cool Freakray.

Last edited by vectorclub; 06-08-2003 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:06 AM   #14
Michael Schumacher
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Michael Schumacher
Quote:
I am more convinced you are not a jerk now. If you were a true jerk, you may have gone back into name-calling or stupid comments.
Dont let him fool you he's the biggest jerk on the forums .
J/K
Old 06-08-2003, 04:53 AM   #15
Guido
AF Enthusiast

arguing about a poll like this?

--------------------------------------------------------

There has been a lot of "one-off crossovers" where F1 drivers drove WRC kit and WRC drivers driving F1 gear. All showed that in the other series, the drivers didn't do so well. Mainly because it is a different discipline. Both being high-tec, F1 is driving against your oponent, whereas WRC is driving against mother nature (which includes time). Because of that, WRC drivers needs to be assisted - cause otherwise impossible - and therefor are entitled to use the co-driver. Without the help of his co any WRC driver would be no good.

So although it is nice to see those kind off crossovers, it's pretty useless to compare or to wonder who's the best skilled. There is no comparison. This is like comparing football (soccer for US guys) players with rugby players or baseball with cricket.

And as far as the snobs are going? why you say that Mr. Vectorclub? Just realise that most of the F1 fans overhere are keen WRC followers as well. And since I'm with Freakray on this, does that make me a snob? Hardly, since I'm one of the most down-to-earth, hard-to-impress chaps on this planet. You can ask the others