Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:41 PM   #16
jdmcivic04
AF Regular

Re: prelude or si?

thats true, if they ran more cylinders but same displacement per each cylinder it might work however then you would have a heavy v8 sitting in a very lightweight chassis and therefore it would throw the cars balance and handling right off.
jdmcivic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 PM   #17
AcesHigh
Prelude Guy

Send a message via AIM to AcesHigh

No one would buy it. The price would be through the roof. The Acura NSX is incredibly expensive as it is, and you can buy a car for half its price that's just as fast. A used Mitsu 3000gt VR4 can be bought for around 10k and more or less performs the same.

The mid engine layout is AWESOME, but sadly for the NSX it's way too large. A small mid engine car is a superb performer. The Nissan MID4 and Toyota MR2 (some of my favorite cars of all time) come to mind.

Screw drifting. It's overrated.

1993 Mazda Rx-7 Touring
Ricer Extraordinaire
AcesHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:13 PM   #18
Digital Overdrive
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Digital Overdrive Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Overdrive

LOL, I do agree on drifting, absolutely pointless. Then again I do live in the mountains, so I see it alot. How can you say the NSX is WAY too large dude. The Type-R (MY fave car of all time) only weighs in at 2700 lbs. The 3000GT weighs around 3500 lbs in the performance models. You can't really compare the NSX to a MR2, you have to compare it to a mid-engine Ferrari. I agree about it being pricey, but it is dubbed "The reliable exotic". And when people say that it doesn't perform like a Ferrari, then drive one, much like their little brothers (let's say a prelude and a mustang) the honda will corner like a dream compared to the mustang, but it will lack the straigh-line performance. I do have to say that Honda is very modest with their power and displacement, and that will NEVER change. If I was going to put any weight onto the chassis of an NSX to compensate the bigger, badded lamborghini's and ferrari's, then I would drop the Formula-1 V10 in the little baddie, and it WILL bolt up to the NSX tranny, thanks to the NSX's close relation to the V6 used in Formula-1 in 89. The thing is it wouldn't be centered into the vehicle properly. Damn I'm gonna do that someday, where is the local Honda museum???

JDMCivi - It would increase the weight of the vehcile a bit (try around 500 lbs), but that weight won't be all over the front wheels. The motor would be mounted vertically toward the back wheels (aka RWD). You would be surprised at how much the rear differential will weigh. The car would actually be much closer to 50/50 weight distribution than a FWD RSX. Here, lemme just end this big fantasy. Put the motor in the MR NSX, there, now work with that. To be honest, Honda has considered a V8 prototype (Formula-1 again) the recent V8 used in F1. Also a front electric engine, with the same V6 in middle (Ace - here's you revered AWD ;-) And last but definately the least surprising from Honda, the same motor turbo-charged. These are all steps Honda could possibly take in a direction their company has never ventured before. Me, theperformance geek that doesn' mind a little gas and was raised on chevy's, I prefer all of the above. :-)
Digital Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:02 PM   #19
AcesHigh
Prelude Guy

I realize we're straying way off topic (and I apologize...) but:

The NSX is way too large to be a good Autocrosser. 'Large', not heavy. It does lose alot of weight from using lightweight parts, but its dimensions don't make it good for a course. Most supercars are no good.

The MR2 was used as an example of a small mid engined car; it is by no means the equal of an NSX, stock.

Personally I think Honda is outshined in all categories; but wins as an overall car. Handling is not as great as an Rx-7. Power is nowhere near its competitors. Hell, it can be taken out by a Subaru Impreza STi, a car a third its price.

The Ferarri Testarossa or Lotus Espirit are the close competitors to the NSX, but there's no reason it shouldn't be compared to front engined cars. A supercar should not be losing.

Bottom line is it fails on the dragstrip and on a course; being a mediocre performer in both categories.

Rant done. That being said, I have always wondered why the Civic and Integra have been so popular with tuners.

1993 Mazda Rx-7 Touring
Ricer Extraordinaire
Old 03-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #20
Digital Overdrive
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Digital Overdrive Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Overdrive

Once again you are correct. I see your views on comparisons, and I think your'e right about us being too ar off topic, so let's just retire this off topic.
Digital Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:01 PM   #21
jdmcivic04
AF Regular

civics and integras are so popular because they are inexpensive and have a very large aftermarket industry. getting parts is easy and cheap.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:50 PM   #22
510prelude
AF Enthusiast

well anyways have you decided on which car your getting? or did you already get it?
510prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:57 PM   #23
jdmcivic04
AF Regular

depending on how hard it will be to find a nice prelude for a decent price i might have to go with the civic. but no complaints because it is still a very nice car.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:25 AM   #24
Prelewd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Prelewd
Re: Re: prelude or si?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
Bottom line is it fails on the dragstrip and on a course; being a mediocre performer in both categories.

Rant done. That being said, I have always wondered why the Civic and Integra have been so popular with tuners.
I wouldn't say it fails.. it just wasn't made to be a race car. Economic doesn't just mean gas mileage in the case of the civic and integra. Give it a couple thousand dollars in aftermarket parts and you have yourself a contender.

The prelude, integra, and civic all had a very good suspension and chassis design. From the old double wishbone in the civics to the ATTS making the prelude one of the best handling FWD cars on earth. I'd say it held its own.

The only thing I can see that limits honda is the FWD factor. Look at the S2k. With street tires, it owns most other cars equipped with race tires on the autox course.

Soon..

Cars:
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo
1992 Honda Prelude Si 4WS H22a Swap - For Sale
1965 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton - 500ci Cadillac Cometh
1970 Datsun 240z - For Sale
1972 Datsun 240z - For Sale
1977 Datsun 280z - For Sale
1991 Infiniti Q45 - Engine Donor to 240z - Parting out the Rest
Sold Cars:
1976 Jaguar XJ-S - Rear end Donor to Chev Pickup
1992 Honda Prelude Si
1971 Datsun 240z
1984 Civic 1500 Hatch
Prelewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #25
AcesHigh
Prelude Guy

You're right. But speaking from a competitive side, the competitors against the NSX are simply more desirable; that's why it's sales haven't been the best.

And S2000 is the only one that I really think is above average compared to the other Hondas. But while you can dump aftermarket parts onto a Civic or Intregra and hope it runs faster, this is true of any car. The only plus is that parts are numerous and cheap.

There are just easier cars to work with. But I guess it's simply a preference thing in this hobby.

1993 Mazda Rx-7 Touring
Ricer Extraordinaire
Old 11-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #26
ONEdog1331
AF Newbie

Prelude for sure!!! Civics are cool but preludes are way better looking and faster. Fuck honda haters!
ONEdog1331 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude