Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
Serendipity04
AF Newbie

Chevy Colorado Vibration

I purchased a Chevy Colorado Truck, 5 Cylinder engine. It has about 250 miles. At around 50 mph, I notice a vibration. It feels like the wheels are not balanced. I'm getting the wheels checked out tomorrow at the Chevy garage. If it's not the wheels being out of balance, does anyone have any ideas what else this could be? Thanks.
Serendipity04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
dgibb
AF Newbie

Re: Chevy Colorado Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity04
I purchased a Chevy Colorado Truck, 5 Cylinder engine. It has about 250 miles. At around 50 mph, I notice a vibration. It feels like the wheels are not balanced. I'm getting the wheels checked out tomorrow at the Chevy garage. If it's not the wheels being out of balance, does anyone have any ideas what else this could be? Thanks.
I had the same problem with my Colorado. After 3 trips to the dealer, they finally replaced the drive shaft and all vibaration is gone. The original drive shaft was out of round.
dgibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
malligood
AF Newbie

That's a great tip I have exactly the same problem.
malligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #4
indysmith
AF Newbie

I also have vibration at around 50 mph in my 04 Colorado. How hard was it for you to get them to check the drive shaft?
indysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #5
John Kanaly
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to John Kanaly
Exclamation chevy colorado

I just got mine back from the dealer it had a vibration at about 50MPH and the xmission was loosing fluid from the rear seal. this is what they said "4689 wrong driveshaft to short not riding in bushing st 1.1 replace extension housing & driveshaft & speed sensor" my vibration is gone
Old 07-20-2004, 05:49 AM   #6
indysmith
AF Newbie

Unhappy

I took mine to the dealer and they said that the rear tires were mounted on the rim backwards and they flipped them. I still have a vibration and will be taking it back again.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
Totmacher
AF Newbie

Question

What suspension packages are giving problems to all of you?

I have the Colorado Sport (ZQ8) extended cab. I haven't noticed any vibration but just wondering if I should check more closely for drips from the rear end maybe.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:50 AM   #8
Wolf
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Wolf

I smell a recall.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #9
indysmith
AF Newbie

Mine is the Z85 LS Reg. Cab. I really don't like complaining about this vibration, but you spend that kind of money on a vehicle and you shouldn't notice the passenger seat jiggling all over the place. I've heard its the tires or the driveshaft but it doesn't vibrate badly all of the time.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #10
augdog
AF Newbie

I also have a z85 2wd reg cab 5cyl with the save vibration problems, its really noticeable on rough interstate and city roads, no matter what the speed. Dealer balanced tires, swapped with different tires but it still rides rough. I took another colorado for a test ride and I noticed the same vibration problem. The Dealer has been delaying me and told me GM does'nt have a service bulletin fix out on the problem yet. Great gas milage and power if you can stand riding ontop of a bronco. I always wondered where they got the term horsepower.
augdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #11
John Kanaly
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to John Kanaly

I have the 2wd long bed with the sport package it does not seem to have harsh a ride to me. Now that they fixed the cat and xmission :-)
Old 08-18-2004, 09:32 AM   #12
mhinkley
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Chevy Colorado Vibration

I also have a Z85 regular cab with the same vibration problem everyone else is talking about, I have had it to the dealer twice and yesterday filed a complaint with Chevrolet (GM) and they asked me if I wanted another dealer to look at it. I said yes. My dealer is telling me some vibration is a characteristic of the vehicle. I could handle a slight vibration but this is extreme, I also didn't purchase a brand new vehicle to feel it shimmy as I drive it down the road. The service manager at my dealership said he thinks the problem is deep within the suspension, he had me drive another one and it had a similar vibration but not as bad as my truck. Supposedly this is not an issue with the extended or crew cab models.

So far they claim to have done the following with mine:

Balanced the tires

Rotated the prop shaft (drive shaft) 180 degrees (I guess that means they swapped it from the trans to the rear).

Swapped drive shafts with another vehicle from their inventory.

Tried lowering the air pressure in the tires.

Contacted GM for engineering support

I really like the truck but needless to say I'm very disappointed with the shimmy, I urge the rest of you who are having a problem to contact the Chevrolet customer care center, you will spend some time on hold but unless we bombard them with complaints they aren't going to put any engineers on it to see what's going on. The other side to it is the dealer doesn't want to invest any real effort into the problem because GM doesn't pay them much, a mechanic told me they get under an hours labor for a vibration type problem.

Sorry for the lenghty post I'll post again when I get it back from the other dealer. Maybe they will have some insight on the problem.

Please contact GM remember their is strength in numbers and the squeeky wheel gets the oil.

Last edited by mhinkley; 08-28-2004 at 11:59 AM.
mhinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:22 PM   #13
augdog
AF Newbie

Made my complaint known to chevy monday after two months of getting the run around from my dealer, the number is 800-222-1020. But I still haven't gotten any real answers yet as of thursday.
Most states have lemon laws on the books if the seller or manufacturer can't fix the problem. That's the next thing I am looking into.
augdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #14
Nave
AF Newbie

Sounds like CHEVY is droping the ball again.
1st the piston slap/Then 03 drive train..

Hey >? how far did you guys drive one of these Pickups before you bought>??Diff sounds like a driveshat problem..The TIRE stroy flop the the tires..
I just can't buy that one..

Just wondering at about what Millage it started..
My Bud bought one .He has had it for about 3 weeks..
Nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:19 AM   #15
indysmith
AF Newbie

I took mine to the dealer the second time for vibration, along with a printout of this thread. They decided to take a look at the driveshaft and called me to say "It really is the driveshaft!". They ordered a new driveshaft but said it is on a national backorder. I suggest anyone with a regular cab Colorado to print out this thread and give it to the service manager and get your truck fixed. If they still don't want to check out the driveshaft, there is always the customer satisfaction survey they send you that gets their attention.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical