Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Andrew7dg
AF Newbie

Evo I, II, III Vs DSM

I haven't found out a lot of info and I tried to search for this topic but didn't come up with anything. I own a 90 DSM Eclipse AWD Turbo. I love the evos but can't afford one or the newer ones anyway. However there was a couple of evos that never saw american pavement. I am just going over the first couple of cars because they have a similar 4g63 engine layout meaning that the timing belt is to the right of the engine if you were looking at it vs the Left side on the latest evos.

What were the differences between the engines of these cars and the ones that we got? I know there is a turbo difference with the evo 3 16G being a favorite with the DSM people. I would like to know what else was in these japanese power plants that we didn't see in our DSM or was there not anything?

What besides the turbo can I add to my eclipse that would make it powerful like one of the evos?

Which one has the better suspension set up? The Evo or the DSM? or is this preference? I know the japanese VR-4 Galants are really close to the DSMs with parts being really easy to interchange.

So anyway just trying to start a discussion.

Thanks and post any links that might be helpful with this discussion
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: Evo I, II, III Vs DSM

You're better off posting this in the DSM forum. Also, the Evo's suspension is far more sophisticated than the DSM's.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Rand Race
AF Newbie

Evos had to meet WRC homologation requirements which meant, generally, much heavier duty components than the DSMs got. Better brakes, stiffer suspension components, stronger half-shafts, etc. The ECUs were tuned more agressively, intercoolers were front mounted and the engines had higher compression (8.8:1 for the Evos, 8.5:1 for the 2G DSMs and 7.8:1 for the 1Gs) and more efficient heads. All Evos before 1998 also had the anti-lag misfire system plumbing (but not the computer to run it) installed from the factory.

You can make your DSM's engine identical to the Evos', but it'll never stop or turn like one.
Rand Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

ive driven an evo 2, and a tsi awd... and they are 2 very different cars... if it were for the durability, and "beating on" ability i think the evo takes it... but personally i like the dsm better, its lower, its a coupe, and i like coupes. and to me it has better street manners. personnally i want to buy a 90 tsi awd. im not sure you would want to take this arguement to the dsmers though, they know thier cars really well.... and you know your car. but on evo's im not sure they know part for part whaich is better.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
9ball
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Race
Evos had to meet WRC homologation requirements which meant, generally, much heavier duty components than the DSMs got. Better brakes, stiffer suspension components, stronger half-shafts, etc. The ECUs were tuned more agressively, intercoolers were front mounted and the engines had higher compression (8.8:1 for the Evos, 8.5:1 for the 2G DSMs and 7.8:1 for the 1Gs) and more efficient heads. All Evos before 1998 also had the anti-lag misfire system plumbing (but not the computer to run it) installed from the factory.

You can make your DSM's engine identical to the Evos', but it'll never stop or turn like one.
Bravo. Good post, except I disagree that you can NEVER make a DSM turn or stop like an Evo. Never say never; the aftermarket for DSM's is pretty big and it's certainly possible to make a DSM handle and stop like an Evo. That said, if you want to upgrade your DSM simply go to dsmtuners.com and buscherracing.com. Also, importtuner did up a DSM and got the best bang-for-the-buck of any car they ever modified. I think it was just a boost controller, fuel cut suppressor and a downpipe that got them more than 80 extra hp on the dyno.
9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

dont forget too though alot of dsmers swap from the stock turbo to an evo. ( just something i remember)
Old 06-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #7
2ltGTT
AF Regular

i dont know why but we're not allowed to import eclipse's into NZ??? so i wouldnt have a clue on how they perform.... as for the Evo *Drools*
this is one of Chosen Few's Evo's....

2ltGTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR

Dude that Evo's nasty...ugly wheels, a HOLE in the hood (functional but ugly still)

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
2ltGTT
AF Regular

im guessing you dont really know your evos
Old 06-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #10
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

...it's not a matter of "knowing your Evos". How a car looks is a matter of opinion, and he thinks the car looks nasty...and so do I.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:09 AM   #11
2ltGTT
AF Regular

i think its quite tough looking.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:37 AM   #12
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Massively oversized and overweight chrome rims don't represent toughness, they represent slowness. He could probably take two seconds off of his quarter mile time, and improve his handling to boot, just by putting a set of good, lightweight 17-inch rims on there. Other than that, it doesn't look too bad...

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #13
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

i agree with the rims... shiny ones were ment for show not go, and im all about the go. but they way i figure it if everything there is either functional, or add a nice show off touch it would look pretty bad ass at the stop light.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #14
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ball
Bravo. Good post, except I disagree that you can NEVER make a DSM turn or stop like an Evo. Never say never; the aftermarket for DSM's is pretty big and it's certainly possible to make a DSM handle and stop like an Evo.

But you can do exactly the same thing to an EVO, only the aftermarket is even bigger, and includes the suport required to build a WRC rally car. You can't realisticly build a DSM to that level.

I would be very interested in know how similar the cars are though.
They share a similar platform, altough I believe the DSM is derieved more from the FTO, which is itself derived from the Lance/Cedia.

As for the EVO posted, its all show. The Choosen Few are a small "club" here who think big wheels and no suspension equals performance.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #15
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

AUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU CHUR BO DAT SHIT IZ PHAT AU. OTARA REPREZENT.

God dammit I do NOT miss seeing shit like that at all. I don't think "Chosen few" were around when I left, all I remembered was the BBK and thier Ev-boes and the unbelievable retardedness of it all. I'm guessing the Chosen few are the sort of idiors think it's all sweet to drive around in 318i's and 190E 1.8's (Or have they moved onto C180's and C220's now?) on 18 inch Chrome wheels rubbing against thier bump stops, because fiddy cent would be down fo that. Dawg....

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans

Last edited by Jimster; 06-09-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons