Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Solara
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
2003chevcav
AF Regular

Supra engine in Solara?

I know a guy who claims to have a Supra engine in his 2000 Solara. He also says he has a TRD supercharger. He popped his hood once and I wanted to take a look but he closed it before I could get a good look. I think he is full of it, but before I call him out on it, I wanna make sure. So here are my questions-

-What would a TRD supercharger look like? Would it be a roots style, or centrifugal?

-I assume it's possible to drop a Supra engine in a Solara. Does the 3.0-liter Solara engine and Supra engine look anything alike?

Let me know what to look for next time he opens his hood so i can get a good look and determine if he is full of $hit or not.
2003chevcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Ultimate X
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ultimate X Send a message via MSN to Ultimate X
Re: Supra engine in Solara?

well how much diffrence do you get between a 3.0 supra engine and a 3.3 solara engine
225 hp @ 5,600 rpm
240 lb.-ft. @ 3,600 rpm
Ultimate X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
2002Drew
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2002Drew
supra engine is an inline 6, the solara engine is a v6. Second, only a short yellow bus-riding headcase would supercharge a supra engine and not turbo it. Third, TRD doesn't make a supercharger for supra engines. Fourth, a north-south mounted inline six probably wouldn't fit under the hood of the solara. 5th, the north-south mounted engine would be next to impossible to convert to front wheel drive, which the solara is.

At this point, i hope you're seeing a pattern....
A TRD supercharged Solara is a cool car, but a supra-engined supercharged Solara doesn't exist.

To answer your question, no, they don't.

dance...the night away
2002Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
2003chevcav
AF Regular

Re: Supra engine in Solara?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Drew
supra engine is an inline 6, the solara engine is a v6. Second, only a short yellow bus-riding headcase would supercharge a supra engine and not turbo it. Third, TRD doesn't make a supercharger for supra engines. Fourth, a north-south mounted inline six probably wouldn't fit under the hood of the solara. 5th, the north-south mounted engine would be next to impossible to convert to front wheel drive, which the solara is.

At this point, i hope you're seeing a pattern....
A TRD supercharged Solara is a cool car, but a supra-engined supercharged Solara doesn't exist.

To answer your question, no, they don't.
Definetly. I am pretty sure that this guys is full of $hit. Oh and may I add, he also said that he runs high 11's/low 12's. LMAO
2003chevcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
2002Drew
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2002Drew
there ARE a few drag cars that use the supra engine in the solara body, but i can count them on one hand. Those cars merely look like solaras, with handmade frames/chassis, etc. Chances are, you don't know a guy that spend 100K building a solara.

dance...the night away
2002Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Solara