Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Black_Blade
AF Regular

2002 ABS and Brake lights coming on?

I just recently put all new brakes on my van, thinking this would take care of these warning lights that keep popping on every now and then. It had been a while so I figured it was time for brakes...

The brakes really weren't in all that bad of shape, but I put all new stuff on anyways, seeing as I had the stuff etc. The lights still both come on, which according to owner manual indicates serious brake problems/failure.

I read in older posts for older models about going around to each of the sensors and unplugging them and checking them for continuity. I guess this should be my next course of action? I hope it is not something wrong with the master cylinder or something. The brakes seem to be working fine.
Black_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
Re: 2002 ABS and Brake lights coming on?

Which light is on the ABS light, the e-brake light or both?

Check the Brake Pressure Switch under the brake fluid reservoir, there is a recall on it. The switch leaks brake fluid and causes the system to short when fluid goes into the electrical contacts.

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Sorry you did mention both lights come on, if the problem was any of the sensors only the ABS light would be on, so I'm leaning towards a bad BPS.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by olopezm View Post
Sorry you did mention both lights come on, if the problem was any of the sensors only the ABS light would be on, so I'm leaning towards a bad BPS.
olopezm, not sure what BPS means?
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Brake Pressure Switch, that's why I wrote the first letters as uppercase in my last post, sorry for the inconvenience I won't be using any more acronyms in the future

Best regards,

Oscar.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
kevink1955
AF Regular

Do they come on only when you do a quick stop then accelerate quickly, like a stop and roll at a stop sign when you are in a hurry. If so check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. If my 96 is not almost at the top the sloshing of the fluid trips the float switch and sets the lights till next time you cycle the ignition.

I do not think the brake pressure switch has anything to do with the lights, it's part of the cruse control circuit. You can unplug it (and should if it has not been replaced) and it will have no efect on the vehicle except the cruse control will not work.
kevink1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by olopezm View Post
Brake Pressure Switch, that's why I wrote the first letters as uppercase in my last post, sorry for the inconvenience I won't be using any more acronyms in the future

Best regards,

Oscar.
thanks Oscar I had a brain freeze and the acronym just did't register, for some reason I thought of brake pedal switch and that didn't make any sense to me. My mistake.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Black_Blade
AF Regular

I have had the van in for the recall notice about the brake pressure switch leaking fluid. The master cylinder is topped right up too.

Both ABS and the e-brake lights pop on every once in a while, most times for no reason...driving along the highway. Yes, there have been times when braking quickly has set them off as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
CnlK
AF Regular

I would get an infrequent ABS light, would typically reset after a restart. Eventually the speedometer started acting erratic. Ended up replacing the vehicle speed sensor and have been good since. The standard code readers will not pull ABS codes, see if you can access a brake code reader.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
thanks Oscar I had a brain freeze and the acronym just did't register, for some reason I thought of brake pedal switch and that didn't make any sense to me. My mistake.
You're welcome, we all have had a brain freeze from time to time LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Blade View Post
I have had the van in for the recall notice about the brake pressure switch leaking fluid. The master cylinder is topped right up too.

Both ABS and the e-brake lights pop on every once in a while, most times for no reason...driving along the highway. Yes, there have been times when braking quickly has set them off as well.
I've read about some users who took their vans in for the recall and problems persisted, the dealer did not install it properly or they just didn't replace it because it wasn't leaking YET... In case you haven't take a look at it just to be sure . If only the ABS light would pop on that could be something related to the wheel sensors but since it's not the case I will take a look at my manual and post back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnlK View Post
I would get an infrequent ABS light, would typically reset after a restart. Eventually the speedometer started acting erratic. Ended up replacing the vehicle speed sensor and have been good since. The standard code readers will not pull ABS codes, see if you can access a brake code reader.
Seems a bit weird, but it's a Windstar, I guess everything can happen LOL, I'm familiar with the speedometer acting erratic because the same happened to mine, but never saw any brake lights on...

Best regards,

Oscar.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnlK View Post
I have the code reader for CEL functions, but what kind of reader do you need for ABS codes? Didn't see any of those my local store...and its prolly another $300 drop of cash or more
Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
CnlK
AF Regular

My generic code reader won't pull the brake codes either. I did see one advertised in a sears/craftsman catalog for over $300. It claimed to read the engine and brake codes. When my speedo started acting erratic it would immediately trip the ABS light. My understanding is that the ABS system would need both the vehicle speed sensor, and wheel sensor inputs to operate correctly. The code reader that autozone uses for customers will not read the brake codes either, I asked. I recollect reading a post from someone who had some success cleaning the connectors on an ABS component that is located underneath the vehicle at the driver's side seat area.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Go to Actron website: they have a scanner for about $100 that will read abs code but make sure it will read them for your vehicle as it does not work on all vehicles.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
eroosa
AF Newbie

My van had same problem and had to have it diagnosed at the local Ford Dealership.
It was the
ABS ecm.
The estimate was very expensive and since it only comes on once in a while I have decided to wait on it. Note that when the light is on your brakes still work as NON ABS brakes. It may also make sense to wait and see if your van passes the rear axle and sub frame inspections before you put any money into your van. Some people are getting buy out offers from Ford.
If you are not aware of these recalls there are several posts on this site.

eroosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

I hope I am not intruding but I just wanted to tell you that I ordered an ABS Scan tool that will be here tomorrow. (79.99*) Total with tax was 86.00 + Free Shipping.

Here is the link:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_ABS-Brakescan-Actron_16980008-P_N3389_T|GRP2018____

If you enter code P20 when/if you order that is what saves you *20% off the 99.99 price.

I hope it helps.
WindstarMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WindstarMommy For This Useful Post:
olopezm (03-07-2011)