Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
SlimJimRD
AF Regular

99 T&C (Another) cooling fan question

I have searched the forum and have not found my answer although it may end up being a fan relay.
It is 3.8L with 169,000 miles. My wife drove it with A/C on and the gauge climbed up to hot, of course she tells me this when she get the car to my daughter's who we are visiting a couple hours from home. I did add a little coolant and I figure I will look at it in the morning. I get a call from my daughter in the morning and she said my other van 99 Windstar died on the highway a couple miles away. I was going to replace her heater fan so had traded vehicles.
I forgot about the overheating issue and went to get her, while driving the van started overheating. Had the A/C on max so turn off and put heat on high. I did not think to check fans or water pump when I first stopped as I was worried about the other van which I could not get to turn over. Had it towed to a shop and the engine is seized, looking at $2,500+. Sorry had to get that out of my system, hope you did not mind all the misc. verbage.
So get back in the T&C and drive watching the gauges and everything normal. Turn A/C to max and drive down the highway with no over heating. Get into driveway and leave van running A/C on high and still no overheating. The radiator fans are running now. Turn off the van and the fan turns off, I thought they stayed on even with the key is out? Then turn on key enought to check the gauges and temp shows above normal. Restart with A/C and the fan comes on.
So is it the fan relay? Is there a test for the relay? Any other ideas of what may have happened. Should the fan run if the vehicle is still hot and no key?
Thanks
Steve
SlimJimRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 99 T&C (Another) cooling fan question

Wow, when it rains it pours eh!

How long was your wife on the road before it overheated? If within 10-15 minutes I would suspect a stuck thermostat. Could be even if beyond that. Sounds like your fans are working as normal though you could have an intermittent fan problem. No, your fans should turn off when you turn the van off. Consider a new thermostat and check fan and fan relay connections for corrosion or damage.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
SlimJimRD
AF Regular

She said it was within 10 minutes. Should I change just change the thermostat to be safe, is that what you meant?
I will check the connections as well.
Steve
Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Might not hurt to blow the outside of the radiator out with some compressed air. Over time debris will build up in the cooling fins limiting the airflow through the fan. The condenser puts out a lot of heat when the A/c is running.

How much did the ambient temp outside change from when you noticed it overheating to after the other situation was taken care of?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
SlimJimRD
AF Regular

I don't think much temp change as it has been in the 90's all the time we have been driving the van with or without the problem.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJimRD View Post
She said it was within 10 minutes. Should I change just change the thermostat to be safe, is that what you meant?
I will check the connections as well.
Steve
Reading your post again you said you added coolant after your wife's overheat, drove it home later and all was well. Sure this wasn't all stemming from an undetected leak and low coolant? How much did you add?

From the way you describe the problem a stuck thermostat is high on my list of likely culprits (unless you have a leak). Here's my logic. Based on the fact the system overheated for your wife but was good for you, you have an intermittent problem. What in the system can cause an intermittent problem? A clogged radiator or failed pump are out. What's left? The thermostat or fans (or a leak). The fact thermostats are cheap and easy to replace is an added plus. After the thermostat things get more and more expensive. If you are going to work this it's the logical place to start considering your symptoms and your wallet. Checking the fan connections is added insurance.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
SlimJimRD
AF Regular

I had not added that much coolant and the problem occurred both before and after the addition of coolant.
Been okay so far so I am (fingers crossed) going to drive it home and then replace the thermostat and check the connections. I also hope to get a thermostat to take with me on the road just in case.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
SlimJimRD
AF Regular

So I replaced the thermostat and found the bottom hose was not quite tight. Fixed the hose. Then saw fluid was down again today. Got the radiator pressure tester from AZ and pumped it up and fluid is comming out of the plastic right under the top radiator hose.
Does anyone know if the plastic can be repaired or do I need to get another?
If another one should I go junk yard or aftermarket?
Thanks
Steve

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
fan , overheating , radiatior , relay
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager