Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
ptjeepmech
AF Newbie

Steering wheel removal issue

So on to my next project, replacing the clock spring due to the air bag light constantly turning on and off at random times mostly during hard left turns. Knowing I needed a steering wheel puller I loaned one from autozone. It was a 2/3 jaw 5 ton gear puller and seemed to be just what I needed. Removed the air bag, setup the puller (2 jaw setup) and started turning the bolt SNAP goes the right side slot for the pullers arm in the steeeing wheel! Not sure if it was the wrong puller for the job as it did not grip the wheel as one would hope, or it's just me or both. Wondering if now I need to get a different puller with the two bolts, tap and drill threaded holes for it or does anyone have suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0045.jpg (301.6 KB, 13 views)
ptjeepmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
xj31
AF Enthusiast

Re: Steering wheel removal issue

xj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Godzilla.vs.Jeep
AF Newbie

I've tried drilling holes in the steering wheel to insert puller arms, which held well enough, only to find that the puller assembly starts to deform and no movement at all on actually taking the wheel off.

Why the steering wheel was designed this way I have no clue. From what I hear they have a special tool to do this at dealerships (no help to the home mechanic trying to save $$ on what should be a cake process)

Other than that the only other successful solution I've seen is to drill out the existing wheel and replace it with a new one.

Great stuff.
Godzilla.vs.Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Godzilla.vs.Jeep
AF Newbie

I took another stab at this one today after my horn stopped working.

I tried the threaded tap and die, but those just pulled loose.

Fortunately, last time I tired this I drilled two holes thru the steering wheel to either side of the column just large enough to be able to insert the hook type retaining rods thru.

It also helped it appears to have a puller shaft that wasn't damaged, I suspect the last one I tried was since it wouldn't stay straight as I cranked on it.

Once I had the puller set cinched down I just worked on the wheel by pulling on it (make sure to leave the retaining nut on so when it breaks free you don't hit yourself in the face with this method).

Then just crank down on the puller rod 1/4 turn or so while working the wheel and mine finally popped loose.

Viola, horn cruise and no airbag light (and the annoying chime).

Good Luck.
Godzilla.vs.Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
Thomas Sams
Banned

Put the small screwdriver in the hole on the back of the steering wheel and on the right side or left side but sometimes they are very hard to take off..You must change the rod of the steering may be problem is solved...
Thomas Sams is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
clock , puller , spring , steering , wheel
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8