Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
my02liberty
AF Newbie

Cannot drain coolant in my 02 Liberty

I recently purchased a used 2002 Jeep Liberty that had basically been neglected when it came to regularly scheduled maintenance. I have had the radiator flushed since I bought it, but am experiencing heat problems with just luke warm heat. Using the suggestions I've read on this forum and on youtube I've flushed out the heater core with a hose, but it didn't seem to work, so now I'm about to change the thermostat out.

Here's my question: I CANNOT SEEM TO DRAIN THE RADIATOR! I know I can just undo the lower hose, but still, I would just like to know WHY I can't drain it the normal way. I have opened the coolant bleed on the top with an allen wrench and then taken out the plug at the bottom of the radiator, but it's only a few drips. I even tried to open the reservoir cap when the other two were open, resulting in it overflowing from the coolant bleed hole. What am I doing wrong here????
my02liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Cannot drain coolant in my 02 Liberty

Probably nothing. Lower drain opening is probably plugged with gunk.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Cannot drain coolant in my 02 Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by my02liberty View Post
I recently purchased a used 2002 Jeep Liberty that had basically been neglected when it came to regularly scheduled maintenance. I have had the radiator flushed since I bought it, but am experiencing heat problems with just luke warm heat. Using the suggestions I've read on this forum and on youtube I've flushed out the heater core with a hose, but it didn't seem to work, so now I'm about to change the thermostat out.

Here's my question: I CANNOT SEEM TO DRAIN THE RADIATOR! I know I can just undo the lower hose, but still, I would just like to know WHY I can't drain it the normal way. I have opened the coolant bleed on the top with an allen wrench and then taken out the plug at the bottom of the radiator, but it's only a few drips. I even tried to open the reservoir cap when the other two were open, resulting in it overflowing from the coolant bleed hole. What am I doing wrong here????
Try running a piece of coat hanger through the bleed hole. Just be careful and don't puncture the radiator.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
antifreeze , bleed , coolant , drain , flush
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty