Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
kafkacell
Fooling around

Unhappy IAC Valve makes Windstar die.

OK, I decided to start a new thread since the other one is fixed (rear view mirror is fixed).

Windstar 1996, 3.8l, 144.000 Km.

Yesterday it was really awfull, since I was running on highway and before a stop and like 8 times it died. Just starting making the van to die. RPM went from 1200 to 200 and then died. It took at least 3 times to start it.

I checked electricity at connector and it's ok. Afer disconnecting IAC RPM just stay where they are (one week ago it stalled after doing this).

So, today I went to napa to get a new IACV, but they don't have it here at Curacao. They will bring it from Miami and it will take one week.

I bought new spark plugs and spark plug wires (don't know when the old owner changed them).

Spark plugs Double Platinum Autolite (Napa doesn't sell Motorcraft, at least not here).

Spent the whole moring removing the cowel, recplacing spark plugs and putting new cables. Also I cleaned again IACV with WD-40.

At noon I went to pick up my daugther at school, and engine didn't die, nor at stops or starting. On hills it feels better I thing spark plug did the job.

So, for now only have to wait one week to get the part from napa. And yes, CEL is on. Haven't checked since on shop was asking me 60 bucks for getting the codes read (lol). As soon as I can I will get the van scanned.

One thing I've noticed were three smalls valves without conector just in the back of the engine. Yours have these thing without hoses? I'll try to post pictures of them.

Please let me know what else can I do, or check, Im really novice at this.

regards.
kafkacell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
kafkacell
Fooling around

Re: IAC Valve makes Windstar die.

Here is a picture which is making me doubt if they must have a hose or something, or the 3 of them should be like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hose.jpg (80.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar 3.8L SEL. Every Spring or Fall when the weather changes it is like clock work, and the engine starts to stall out. I've found that simply changing the IAC corrects the problem.

Turns out that my 1999 Ford Taurus had the same IAC, and guess what? Same issue. Anyway, I did clean the IAC's but they never worked. A new one is what it took. One year though, I switched the IACs between my Taurus and my Windstar when I started having trouble. My Windstar stopped stalling. However, I still had to get a new one for my Taurus.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
kafkacell
Fooling around

Thanks for the input, next time I will start looking for 96-99 Taurus IACV at junkyards.

Now Im wating fo the part to arrive here.

regards.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
kafkacell
Fooling around

Thumbs up Fixed

Ok, today I got a call from napa telling me that IACV had arrived to the island from Miami. Went there and picked up the part. Put it in my 'star (I removed battery cables before entering the store to make sure CEL is erased), started the car and came back to the house. It didn't die at stops or putting in reverse, I see the issue is finally solved.

Also noticed transmission is smoother (maybe it's just me), but changes are better now.

Now to fix other issues (no Speedometer, no A/C, and no caliper on LH front tire).

regards.
SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1996 , 3.8l , iacv , windstar
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar