Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
Towboss1971
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1998 CVPI serious issue right now, need real help b4 i get raked for more $$$

Does a p71 require the police lvl alternator to function correctly or make the car function correctly?
spent 415 bucks at Sears, they put the LX version Alt in the car.....

just bought 98, been sitting appr yr according to seller, owners kid went to jail for playing police officer.
took car to Sears for new battery, it wouldnt hold a charge, battery light on dash stayed "on"
got battery $115 diehard gold, while installing they called me and sed alternator overcharging, needs replace, told me the low lvl alternator will be fine for this car despite being a police unit (real p71 not dress pkg) i say ok replace $350, then 10 mins later i get the "needs new belt" too, another $50. They install the low level alternator for an "LX" model, battery light doesnt turn off but they say its charging fine.

went to wash car, washed engine compartment same day, after pulling out carwash, radiator fan quits, dont turn at all when a/c on, and dont kick in when car begins to over heat. side road mechanic trouble shoots, cant find problem with the fuses or the relays, no time to fix.

Guy in $125 wrecker tells me the "police car" requires the HD police alternator or its killing engine components and electronics, i take back to sears, they say bullcaca dont need HD version alternator, but they replace with a hd police size alternator, the battery light turns off the second they crank with the new however hd alternator not charging correctly, Sears instantly plays "police car, wiring nightmare" card... only thing they can do for me is consult Ford dealer on monday, not thier fault.
I mention these forums and bring up saw post about faulty connection, they elimate that thought, i mention maybe the alternator they got, the HD was just defective, (saturday couldnt call for another), now im at....
They calling local Ford to see if its true they need to install the police lvl alternator on this car and if not then its my problem "police wiring" is making the btty light not turn off for the low level alternator....
(i need the car to be operating without warning lights as i planned to use this car as a taxicab, a warning light on (btty) is a no go saftey issue for police licensing of a taxi) any ideas on this issue????

the engine cooling fan shutoff was troubleshooted by a mech shop for a few mins, appears that the relays are "ok" as them moving them around didnt stop any other functions from not working...
Sears wants me to pay them $85 not applied to repair to figure out whats wrong with the fan, i was thinking if i connected a hot wire from the pos battery side and found a way to get it connected to the red side of the fan wires, and the fan dont start spinning, then it needs replacing or am i getting in too deep not being a mechanic and should pay sears to do the same thing????

lastly Sears threw the low lvl alternator back in my car so i keep it on my property secured rather than at the mall for 2 nights alone in the dark. I went to work, and at 3am i walked out to drive home, and now, no headlights, no parking lights, no turn signals, but hazards work, radio works, dash warnign lights work... WTF is sears doing to my car???

anyhelp please
towboss71@aol.com
Towboss1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion
Re: 1998 CVPI serious issue right now, need real help b4 i get raked for more $$$

First off, the civilian alternator will work okay in CVPIs. But some modifications are required, and would not be able to be installed/work if Sears didn't do this. The 6G alternator which is installed on the police units has a different voltage regulator connector than the 4G units (civilian). This is corrected by cutting the old wire harness and soldering in the new one.

The battery light should not be on. This is likely because they did not change the wiring harness. The wiring is different between the 4G and 6G alternators.

The other electrical issues such as the fan may be attributed to cleaning the engine bay. Did you spray water in the engine bay? If the wires are corroding or exposed anywhere, issues like these can pop up. There's also been cases of the electrical connector on the fan shorting out and/or melting. Check that for problems.

Here's some information on the 4G and 6G alternator swaps, including how the wiring harness has to be changed. Mostly geared for sticking the higher output in civilian models for those with large stereo systems, but the reverse can be true.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/alternator/convert4g6g/

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
98p71 , alternator , electrical , fan , problem
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria