Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Corolla/Matrix/Voltz
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
corollastudent
AF Newbie

Brake lights problem

When I push my brakes, only the third light illuminates, but when I'm driving at night with the lights on, my brake lights are illuminated. But again, nothing happens when the brake pedal is pushed. So I know the lights themselves work, there is just some disconnect between them and the pedal.
corollastudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: Brake lights problem

There are actually two different circuits for the tail lights. One is for the actual stop/brake lights and the other is for the car's nighttime marker lights which are dimmer than the stop lamps.

From your description, it sounds like the marker lights work okay when you turn on the headlights, but they do not get brighter (or secondary lights don't come on) when you press the brake pedal.

Have someone check the brake lamp warning relay box for failure. This little yellow box, usually located on the driver's side near the rear wheel well, is what is used to illuminate the "brake lamp failure" warning on your car's instrument panel. Another indication of this is fast-cycling of the car's turn signals, though this may not be true of your car. This box is used by Toyota on many of their models and has a history of failing in this and other forums. Easily fixed but can stump many about why their warning lamps are on or they have no brake lights.

A final thought is the wiring harness going to your brake lights may be fatigued and have breaks in the wires leading to your brake lights, especially if they are mounted to the car's trunk lid. Good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
brake , lights , night , pedal
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Corolla/Matrix/Voltz