Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: 2005 Grand hard start and random shut off while driving

It sounds like a dirty or flaky ignition switch. you might try some canned air(duster) and blow the switch out.

Another thing, if you have a bunch of junk hanging from your keychain, this will cause very similar problems.

But I wouldnt rule out one of the two crank sensors, and these can be tested.
Tips and Maintenance

And as far as the SES or SVS lights being on or off during the problem, I think it is probably coincidental!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #32
Lor411
AF Newbie

Update: Hi guys, I heard back from my mechanic. He got the switch in and the car started several times with no problem (but that doesnt confirm the problem is solved until I get the car home and drive it)..But of course another problem..Key won't release from the lock cylinder... they can start and shut the car off I believe..but cant take the key out..I assume that is the case since he said he will park it until I get the part. He told me about the GM price of the part..(over 240 bucks) He said the cylinder was damaged and the key could also be causing the problem. While I was on the phone with him I told him I would look at Rock Auto..they have the cylinder for 100.00 but the one they have with the keys was only for the column mount.

Before I go and purchase a lock cylinder...does anyone know if there are other issues as to why the key is jammed or if it has to do with the switch installation? i was afraid of that exact thing happening if I did it myself...Seems on some forums a few people had the same problem after installing a new ignition switch.

Any thought before I buy this part? Thank you!!
Lor411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
thephantom1492
AF Regular

Possibly they didn't install the shifter cable correctly, you know, the cable that make it so if you ain't in park you can't take off the key
thephantom1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thephantom1492 For This Useful Post:
Lor411 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #34
Lor411
AF Newbie

Could be, though I know that the beginnings of my problems started with the key getting stuck and even had problems shifting out of park. but that never happened again. Would that affect getting the shift or just the key getting stuck. I will call them tomorrow to see if they were able to move the car out..Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #35
thephantom1492
AF Regular

it's the same cable to prevent the key from getting out, and preventing to shift without key. But it could be well broken if you had issue before
Lor411 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Here is the procedure to remove the lock cylinder. IF the interlock cable is not inserted or damaged it wont shift properly or allow the key to turn off and removed.

Ignition switch Removal
Lor411 (10-04-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #37
Lor411
AF Newbie

Hi, Im back...car was in the shop for a month..mechanic was on vacation, then hurricane and all that but I picked it up today...so it's too early to tell whether or not the problem was fixed..though he seemed to think it was. I can tell you, though it might be my imagination, but somehow the car had so much more power. And the start up was much cleaner, turned right on..tried it several times and it was quite different..

So he replaced the ignition switch and the lock cylinder..did the reset for the new keys..When it started it seemed to be flawless. Took off in an instant...and going up hill it was pretty powerful...something I felt was lagging before..I definitely felt a big difference...Could that be because of the reset..or all of the above??

I can only hope the "shutting off" thing has been fixed, but I won't know until I drive it more..

I will get back to you to let you know!! Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
thephantom1492
AF Regular

When I cleaned the contact of the ignition switch, I did got the feeling that I got more power and less rought idle. Which is technically possible: since it have bad contact, it do not provide the full voltage, causing part of the engine to lack power: ex: fuel injectors and spark coils. Also the transmission solenoid...
Lor411 (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #39
Lor411
AF Newbie

Thank you..it does make sense then. This morning it started right up, I turned the heat on and let it warm up for about 10 min and took my daughter to the bus stop. The car was definitely idling very smooth and it never stalled while it was warming up as it sometimes did. After sitting there with the car running for about 20 minutes it didn't stall when I put it into gear and left..and it drove like a gem!

I can't thank you enough for all your help..!!! If you don't hear from me again...you can safely assume the problem was solved. I truly appreciate all of your help.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #40
miss789
AF Newbie

did this happen to work for your car? my 02 grand am is doing the same exact thing and I've replaces so many thing and can't figure out the problem! 0please help!
miss789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #41
Lor411
AF Newbie

Hi I've been meaning to log on and post my results but haven't had a moment to do so. For almost 2 months my car ran perfectly since the lock cylinder and ignition switch were replaced, though I don't drive it every day as I work from home. Suddenly it started all over again..just like I've read in so many posts over the years. I cant tell you how frustrated and disappointed I am. I got stuck pulling out onto a busy and congested road..some woman got out of her car and pushed me back into the parking lot. I have not driven my car since. Now it won't start at all and the battery sounds like it is dying. Slow sounding crank.

So I suppose at this point I will have to bring it to a GM service center to do diagnostics based on all the info I give them.. I also hear a popping noise which seems like it is coming from the drivers side fuse panel.. I hear this when I turn the car to the on position. It happens when the service engine light goes on, then I hear that pop, the light goes off and the fuel pump won't prime, car won't start..so..it it's very possible I have a short in the wires somewhere. There is evidence of rodents also. I'm tired of trying to figure it out.. Got 2 more car payments on this piece of crap..so I suppose I have no choice but to put the next few months of my money into fixing it..problem is I'm starting to believe it is not fixable and it is a lemon. Fo almost 6 years I have not read one forum post where anyone had had any success that the problem did not recur..but my situation may be different from yours..so don't despair!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #42
miss789
AF Newbie

ugh that really sucks to hear, I'm replacing mine today in hopes that was your problem. this really is a never ending thing. and it just gets worse and worse!!!!
miss789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #43
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor411 View Post
Hi I've been meaning to log on and post my results but haven't had a moment to do so. For almost 2 months my car ran perfectly since the lock cylinder and ignition switch were replaced, though I don't drive it every day as I work from home. Suddenly it started all over again..just like I've read in so many posts over the years. I cant tell you how frustrated and disappointed I am. I got stuck pulling out onto a busy and congested road..some woman got out of her car and pushed me back into the parking lot. I have not driven my car since. Now it won't start at all and the battery sounds like it is dying. Slow sounding crank.

So I suppose at this point I will have to bring it to a GM service center to do diagnostics based on all the info I give them.. I also hear a popping noise which seems like it is coming from the drivers side fuse panel.. I hear this when I turn the car to the on position. It happens when the service engine light goes on, then I hear that pop, the light goes off and the fuel pump won't prime, car won't start..so..it it's very possible I have a short in the wires somewhere. There is evidence of rodents also. I'm tired of trying to figure it out.. Got 2 more car payments on this piece of crap..so I suppose I have no choice but to put the next few months of my money into fixing it..problem is I'm starting to believe it is not fixable and it is a lemon. Fo almost 6 years I have not read one forum post where anyone had had any success that the problem did not recur..but my situation may be different from yours..so don't despair!
i have a small question, how much stuff do you have on your keychain ?

Reason i ask is because if their is a lot of weight it can cause the contacts inside to fail and it might not start. Also forcing the key "on" if it sticks can break the switch, they are just cheap plastic inside.
Lor411 (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #44
Lor411
AF Newbie

Hi, and thank you for your reply. Since I've changed the Lock cylinder and igntion switch, I have only 2 keys on the chain.

Another thought I have..at one time when I had the problem with the key getting stuck and trouble getting my car out of park, (this was before my shutting off and starting problem) I was told by the mechanic where I bought the car that my entire console had to be replaced.
He said their was a problem with the cable. He quoted me almost 800.00. So I just assumed
he was ripping me off..(they did sell me this car!)

Do you think this can have anything to do with my issues?

Thanks once again.
Laura
Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #45
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

i would say cost was possible right on replacing the parts keeping it from shifting out of park. thats the brake park interupt switch and or cable. another pain in the but to replace.

but if it was not working it prob wouldnt shift out of park
Lor411 (04-01-2013)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM