Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #16
Taylor44
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Dodge Ram--P1491 fault code

I had this same problem with my '02 Ram .. Dealer wanted around $300 for a new fan/shroud/labor ... I declined, bout the fan myself, decided to try the fan prior to installing it, the fan didn't work .... Oh also bought a relay as the dealer said I would need as well...replaced the relay and plugged in new fan .. nothing worked .... sure enough, I checked the fuse and bingo.. so it ended up being a .17 fix and a lot of trouble by listening to the stealer ... anyway, I also learned later that in the winter, water can get in the shroud and freeze the fan, locking it up and popping the fuse .... to fix that problem, drill a few hole in the bottom the shroud allowing water to drain and not freeze.. Or carry more fuse's :-)
Taylor44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #17
1fgmtnbyker
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor44
I had this same problem with my '02 Ram .. Dealer wanted around $300 for a new fan/shroud/labor ... I declined, bout the fan myself, decided to try the fan prior to installing it, the fan didn't work .... Oh also bought a relay as the dealer said I would need as well...replaced the relay and plugged in new fan .. nothing worked .... sure enough, I checked the fuse and bingo.. so it ended up being a .17 fix and a lot of trouble by listening to the stealer ... anyway, I also learned later that in the winter, water can get in the shroud and freeze the fan, locking it up and popping the fuse .... to fix that problem, drill a few hole in the bottom the shroud allowing water to drain and not freeze.. Or carry more fuse's :-)
Did the problem ever come back? What other issues may cause the fuse to blow? I live in Southern Cal so any water freezing in the shroud is unlikely. Since you have a new fan do you think your old fan motor may have caused the blown fuse? I'm having the same problem and my fuse was blown also. I replaced it and now it works but I'm not sure if I trust it. Shouldn't there some reason why a 25amp fuse will blow? Can a fuse blow without a problem? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this corrected before the hot summer months.
1fgmtnbyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #18
Taylor44
AF Newbie

I took the fan back... I simply replaced the fuse and the problem has not come back.. that has been a couple years now.
Taylor44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
RenneSuprise
AF Newbie

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I just changed my fuse and cleared the code yesterday. The fan seems to be working just fine. Hope it keeps chugging along. So, does anyone else think this smells like a freebie to the dealerships' service departments? "Oops, how did we ever manage to misdesign this circuit so that it pops a fuse randomly and then throws a cryptic, proprietary code?" Gotta love the Internet as a way to level the playing field, if only a little!
RenneSuprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
cnegley3rd
AF Newbie

Got the same code P1491, found this forum online and checked the fuse. Was blown. Put in a new fuse, cleared the code, fan works, and check engine light is off. Thanks for all the help.
cnegley3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #21
StephenD
AF Newbie

I have the same problem, fault code P1491. I found the AC Condenser fan fuse blown. Replaced the fuse. Not blown. Reset the computer. But, the fault keeps coming back. Does anyone have a final resolution for this???
StephenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #22
stocksen9
AF Newbie

WOW!!!!! Indeed in my case it was the 25A. fuse for the a/c fan circuit. Sure enough was the first cold day of the year- 25 degrees here in Michigan. I changed the fuse and reset the code with the handheld analyzer and poof problem fixed. No expenive trip for me to the dealer or parts!!! Hope this helps- just look under the fuse cover for the fuse location which is located under the hood next to the battery.
stocksen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #23
brian424
AF Newbie

Just wanted to let everyone know that this error must be very common because I’ve seen it twice now. Once at 75k miles and recently again at 96k. Both times I forgot to remove the battery cable after replacing the fuse and both times the check engine light failed to extinguish. Once I removed the battery cable and reconnected, the check engine light went out. Hope I can remember to do that next year, because I’m sure the fuse will blow again.
brian424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
sburnside2
AF Newbie

Same issue and same solution, thanks all.
sburnside2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #25
sUSIE018
AF Newbie

Burned fuse number 39 in the Power Distribution Center due to condenser fan drawing high current. Also can be caused by water leaking into shroud and freezing.
The TSB involves replacing the condenser motor and reprogramming the PCM to alleviate repeat blowings of the fuse. That's why the "stealers" recommended replacement of the motor, shroud and PCM. Either fix it (if fuse continues to blow), or stop whining about how dealers are ripping you off.
A TSB is not paid for by the dealer. The TSBs are there to help techs find common problems faster, thus saving you money. Recalls are done when they decide the losses from lawsuits will outnumber the cost of performing a recall, or when they have severe safety concerns as a result of the problem.
sUSIE018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #26
00husaberg
AF Newbie

I found that P1491 related to a blown fuse (25A) for the A/C condenser fan. A/C fan would not engage when engine was warm and A/C on. My mechanic also noticed that my fan clutch was going out as it was turning really slow, it really should be roaring. It could be that the A/C condenser fan was having to work overtime to compensate for the engine fan, hence blowing the fuse. Both fans work great now, all in all, $160 for parts and labor.
00husaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #27
Robbob6
AF Newbie

Very helpful stuff. With a check engine light on, I couldn't get the 2002 Ram 1500 smogged. I got the same code fault from a local mechanic who scanned it and said the computer needed replacing. I found this thread, checked that fuse and sure enough, that fuse was blown. The check engine light stayed on until I disconnected the battery, I drove the truck until the sensors all reset and no check engine light. Then it passed smog with no problems.
Robbob6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #28
bfuri
AF Newbie

This thread saved me a lot of time and money. My A/C was only working when I pressed on the gas and then my engine light came on. I went to autozone and had my code read. Telling me that my relay, wiring, fan or my computer was bad. After reading this thread, I checked my fuse box, and my 25amp fuse was blown (located in the middle of the fuse box under the hood, closest fuse to the engine.) I went back to autozone, picked up a fuse and now everything is great. A/C works, engine light is off and I have not had any problems since. Thank you to everyone who posted. Been a great help!
bfuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfuri For This Useful Post:
Chris Stewart (07-22-2013), ssloan47 (10-07-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #29
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

So the '02 has an extra fan in front of the AC condenser?
I'll check to see if any other years had them.
I see they're on up to 2006, maybe even later.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #30
ssloan47
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 2002 Dodge Ram--P1491 fault code

I had the same problem. I used an inexpensive code reader called CODEKEY. After reading all your comments, I found the fuse you mentioned had blown. I replaced the fuse then using my CODEKEY reader, I erased the code. Thanks for all your comments.
ssloan47 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10