Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr awd Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepr awd
Engine Swap

So you want an engine swap.
There are a few things to consider before even sourcing parts for this project.

First off, what is your technical experience. If you've never changed your brake pads, changed your oil, or opened your hood, this may not be the right path for you.

Secondly, if you are at all restrained financially, this is also not a good option. Swaps take time, more often than not (99% of the time). If you can't get to work without your car, there would be a small problem. It is recommended you get a daily driven car to substitute the project car because asking friends for rides can put strain on relationships. Swaps are also heartbreaking, technically intensive, financially stressful, and extremely rewarding. Always remember CUTTING CORNERS OR CHEAPING OUT WILL CAUSE YOU TO PERFORM THE TASK AGAIN.

Thirdly, if you really think you are ready: what is the new engine going to do that the other one couldn't. On your 4cylinder models, there is a great deal of things you can do with your Original equipment longblock than most people will ever see the end of. Make for certain you NEED a new motor to accomplish your goals before tearing the old one out.

On to the swapping:
4cyl models (GS-RS 00-05)
For reference the 8th Generation of Galant are mechanically the same as the 3rd generation of eclipse

4G63:

For you die hards that really want to swap in a 4G63 motor out of the Evoltuion 8, This is a direct drop. There is absolutely no difference beyond the tuning aspects and a couple small turbo routing options that prevent you from doing this swap. 2.0 Liters of raw fury on a proven platform. The only thing to worry about is your tuning options. You *could* swap in the EVO ECU. Or you could read through the "Comprehensive Guide to Modifying your 3g" at the top of this forum (which should be your FIRST read). Tuning options are included in there. In case you were wondering as well the Evolution transmission can be bolted up as well, although this will require you eliminate the transfer case, or give it somewhere to go to. The AWD swap has been performed and is more costly and time consuming than just bothering to buy an EVO, but to each his own. The engine swap was performed by one of the major car magazines, I believe SportCompactCar, but they only did this because they were bored on a Saturday and did not do the swap for ultimate streetability. http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/62...stock-ecu.html
For the AWD please refer to: http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...n-eclipse.html

4G64 DOHC: I know right? you already have a 4G64 engine! what in the world is DOHC doing with it and where did it come from!!! This is going to be similar to the Evo swap. For the most part this is a direct drop, some small things to worry about like gaskets and building parts, I mean, You have the whole thing apart, why don't you build EVERYTHING. This swap is more designed for people going the BOOST route, the turbo head off of the EVO is not designed for Natural aspiration, and should not be used for so, but it COULD be, you would just have to swap out your camshafts for something more naturally aspirated friendly. please refer to here for information and a parts list regarding the swap: http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclip...n-finally.html

Now beyond significant fabrication THESE ARE YOUR ONLY OPTIONS. Unless you do the legwork on if another engine option will fit, assume it will not and assume it will not cost effectively.
pros/cons.

4G63 It is an awesome platform, it only has 2.0 liters of displacement and less torque than the 4G64. Therefore making it less streetable. The 4G63 is better for straight drag applications where 10k RPM can regularly be seen. If you want to know about why this is the case you need to read up on the subject and how rod and stroke relate to reliability, balance, and how torque relates to better street driving.

6 cylinder models 00-05 Eclipse GT/GTS
for reference the Galant V6 99-04 are mechanically the same.

Swapping a different engine into the 3rd gen v6 eclipses is a limited affair. You don't have many options on what will fit and fit easily, though you may think an engine is the same, it isn't recommended to try anything not mentioned in the following.

Before you start. It is highly recommended to use tuning software to accomodate any and all changes to your engine.

the 6G74 out of the 97-02 Diamante is a viable engine swap. making significant more torque through the power band and as well having the ability to use 87 octane is an advantage over paying premium prices for premium fuel. Measuring at a rated 3.5liter engine, it also gives you more of that displacement import lovers so fondly forget to use. The VRX model of diamante, out of the box makes even more power, so finding an engine out of one of those, can be more beneficial, but if your building the engine, it isn't anything you couldnt' compensate for with aftermarket internals.

In order to swap in this motor, there are very minor things to keep in mind.

First, your entire belt diagram is going to change, do not get this engine without all the accessories on it already. If you have to adapt the Eclipse accessories to this engine it will take much more time and be a much larger headache. The way the diamante accessories are setup, it will drop right in and work without modification.

Your axle hanger will need to be trimmed on the outside where the CV shaft connects. Not too much, but enough that the CV shaft will actually click in and seal.

Your starter locater plate will have to be modified slightly.

And if you are running a 5 speed transmission. You will need an aftermarket clutch since the OE clutch will not support the amount of torque you will be using.

Everything else is drag and drop, all connectors are the same, transmission bolts in the same place, and a small adjustment in the height of the engine that you'll need to use the diamante exhaust manifolds for.

You also have a choice on using the Diamante fuel system, which is larger, but will also require you to tune the eclipse's fuel map. Or, it can just as easily use the OE fuel system from the Eclipse without any additional tuning.

You have a choice on your manifold too, it is recommended you use an equal length manifold like the GTS or Diamante manifold. The diamante manifold (unless someone found out how to not lose it) will cause you to lose the use of your front strut tower bar. not a huge deal since an aftermarket one can be setup. The GTS one has a little better clearance, but slightly lower flow.

All information was sourced here:
http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthre...highlight=6g74
http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthre...74+engine+swap

There are variations on the swap that require breaking into the engine and replacing the crank out of a 3.8 montero, which has a similar engine setup, but not one that would fit. If you plan on going this deep, you can do your own searching and research.

Don't act like you don't love it.
503/2000

Last edited by Sleepr awd; 06-01-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Sleepr awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
808drifter
AF Enthusiast

Re: Engine Swap

The EVO Head Swap is the most cost efficient. The only real difference between the EVO motor and the 4G64 in the RS/GS is a slightly bigger bore and longer stroke. The only mods to the block needed to make the head work, other than timing belt and such, is to plug a couple drain holes.
and if you really need to rev to 10k+ you can always swap the crank out of the EVO witch will drop the displacement to 2.1L.

As for ECU tuning, If you have an 01+ ECU and stick shift, you can Flash the ECU to basically make the factory ECU a standalone. All you need is a Traktix Cable. the only thing you pay for is the cable, cost around $250. Much cheaper than a typical standalone.
808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

I'm liking how this looks so far... This should take care of any future "engine swap" threads... lol
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

FYI, this all is lightly covered in the thread to modifying your 3g, and this guide is a very basic outlay of what is available via some very light research that could have been done very very easily with the search feature

503/2000
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

Yeah, but we all know that newbs don't search let alone read stickies unless they are clearly labeled as "Engine Swap" lol...
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
cudude11
AF Newbie

250 bucks for a tratix cable?....how about no? try about 79 bucks plus shipping. http://www.limitless.co.nz/cables/ you also need to look into your data logging stuff such as evo scan and mitsulogger. Ecu Flash is a needed program to write to the ECU. Also with the thoughts of ecu swaps at mind for those unfortunate 00 eclipse GS,RSers (me) an evo ecu is a great way to go, you can flash the evo rom onto a flashable eclipse ecu but from all the people I know they would agree that if you can afford it go with the full evo ecu swap you can add sensors and such to get rid of the peasky CELs for the turbo guys. I'm currently running a 2003 Evo VIII ECU in my 00 Eclipse and its great and has higher load tables.Keep up the great work on the thread!
cudude11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

^^again excellent info from someone that actually knows. Thank you for piping in there.

503/2000
Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
cudude11
AF Newbie

no problem man, just giving my two cents, I'm currently turboing my eclipse now and the DOHC swap is most deffently a next one on the list. Also for those looking for good deals on swap parts check out evolutionm.net <- this is a great place for deals. but u can't post in the forums untill you do 50 posts but u can still PM the ppl and buy parts that way.
cudude11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
808drifter
AF Enthusiast

TY for correcting me. +1

Never got to finish my turbo project. (car was totaled.)

00RS FTW!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
jay510
AF Newbie

everyone talking about gs and rs, what about gt?

2003 eclipse GT spyder v6

MoDs:
evo catback exhaust
K&N Cold Air Intake
20'' crome & black rims
Tein lowering springs 3''
Alumn Radiator...in progress, to lazy to do it.....
projector headlight black
removed rear wing
window tint black
x2 12' audioban subs

more to come......
supercharger coming soon after my performance headers
jay510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

if you have 20" chrome and black rims, it's assumed you aren't interested in performance.

and the GT was covered in one of the other stickied posts.

503/2000
Old 05-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #12
jay510
AF Newbie

1st off, i only use my 20's for show since i havent modded my engine much. 2nd, i have other rims i can put on, and if you have the answer to my question why dont you drop a link and stop assuming!

2003 eclipse GT spyder v6

MoDs:
evo catback exhaust
K&N Cold Air Intake
20'' crome & black rims
Tein lowering springs 3''
Alumn Radiator...in progress, to lazy to do it.....
projector headlight black
removed rear wing
window tint black
x2 12' audioban subs

more to come......
supercharger coming soon after my performance headers
jay510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

i wouldn't have to link stuff if you learned to read. And i'm lazy, why should I do all of your work.

503/2000
Old 05-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #14
808drifter
AF Enthusiast

And why the hell are you even considering a swap if you have the V6 already.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
rodbls
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rodbls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808drifter
And why the hell are you even considering a swap if you have the V6 already.
Because he eats farts...eating farts makes his dick hard
Mods: SPEC 2+ Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, PowerStop Rotors, Red Stuff Pads, Stainless Brake Lines, B&M Short Shifter, Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings, Deyeme Firm Motor Mounts, KYB AGX shocks with Eibach Proline springs, Halo Projector Headlights with HID 12000K Conversion, TYC Carbon Tails, Kicker SS6.5 Component Front, SS MB8 Custom rear, Tsunami 2F Capacitor, ***New Stuff*** JVC KD-AV7010 In Dash DVD Player, Kicker L7 12" Woofer, Kenwood KAC-X10D Mono Amp
rodbls is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+