Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:35 AM   #91
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Re: Re: Re: Re: Corvette ZO6 vs Mustang Cobra SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
It's not really the fact of forged internals, it's the compression that stops it from running high boost on pump gas. But if you replace the internals with forged, you are adding atleast 5K to the already insane price over the cobra.
That might be somewhat true, but lowering the compression will only give you so much more leway for boost. You will have to replace some of the internals with forged units. I am not sure of the strength of the crank and the pistons but you will want to replace the rods for sure.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:19 AM   #92
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

Re: Corvette ZO6 vs Mustang Cobra SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74
... If you are driving a stock, new car that is in the Cobra's price range...unless you are driving an Evo or WRX STi And maybe a S2000 Honda on the right kind of road course.....(May I suggest all of them avoid picking anything with long straights or a lot of long sweeping curves.....and the Cobra brakes every bit as Hard as any of them) You have no chance whatsoever of ourunning a 03 Cobra anywhere except an autocross course in anything else for anywhere near the money.
The 03 Cobra can be put into a POWER ON controlled four wheel drift. For those of you who do not know what this is.....it is not what most people refer to as "drifting'. It is not for show as this is the real...most cars cannot do it...race car deal. For a car to to this requires big power and superb suspension tuning...
syr74, nice post, but to clarify a couple of things, the S2000 does well at tracks with a lot of high speed corners. It's advantage is handling, and franlky the only track I can see it being competitive with the other 3 cars mentioned (Z06 is 2+ sec/lap faster than the s2000) is at Lime Rock, and Sears Point (or whatever they change the name to, it'll always be Sears Point) which have no slow corners and no long straights.

I also think that in the dry, the power advantage of the 03 Cobra would make it a slight bit faster than either the Evo or STi at most tracks, but with these, the Evo/STi tracks would be more point-and-squirt type tracks with many slow corners and lots of braking, where the better gearing of the STi (not as familiar with the Evo) helps. NHIS and Laguna Seca come to mind here.

Driven properly, just about any car can be put into a power on 4-wheel drift on corner exit. It's more about the mid-corner transition from corner entry to power on, and in fact this is what is aimed for when driving at the limit of the car. It is easier to feel in a high powered RWD car, but can be done in just about anything, including all the cars I've ever driven on track (91 Ford Probe GT, 99 Miata, various Spec Miatas, 85 Porsche 944, 99 Impreza 2.5RS, 04 STi, 98 C5, 98 Mustang GT).
Old 11-19-2003, 02:47 PM   #93
2000LS1Z28
AF Enthusiast

To be honest I think an Evo would school an 03 Cobra on a road course. They had a vid somewhere of a guy w/ an AWD Evo powersliding around a track surface. He blew away everybody, but then flipped the car.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #94
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

first of all im not trying to put down the z06, i love that car. the z06s block is aluminum right? if so.. then in really high hp applications, the cobras iron block with forged internals should be able to take more boost/hp better than the vette.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #95
2000LS1Z28
AF Enthusiast

Yeah it's an aluminum block on the Z06. I could argue like the old aluminum blocked Cobra owners do, about how it doesn't matter if it is an iron block or aluminum, and it's all in the tune. In reality the 03 Cobra can handle more boost. Then again it's also alot smaller engine then the vettes
Old 11-19-2003, 05:40 PM   #96
Polygon
The Red Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoNismoO
first of all im not trying to put down the z06, i love that car. the z06s block is aluminum right? if so.. then in really high hp applications, the cobras iron block with forged internals should be able to take more boost/hp better than the vette.
Yes, but boost does not equate horsepower, airflow does, and larger displacement means more airflow. The Corvettes engine will produce more power at the same boost pressure than the Cobra.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:57 PM   #97
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Corvette ZO6 vs Mustang Cobra SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Yes, but boost does not equate horsepower, airflow does, and larger displacement means more airflow. The Corvettes engine will produce more power at the same boost pressure than the Cobra.
well im correct about it taking more boost, cause i never said its gonna produce more power with the same boost, but for the hp thing, im saying that the cobra should be able to take more horsepower safely if you keep both of their internals, and block stock.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:30 PM   #98
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Re: Corvette ZO6 vs Mustang Cobra SVT

Quote:
well im correct about it taking more boost, cause i never said its gonna produce more power with the same boost, but for the hp thing, im saying that the cobra should be able to take more horsepower safely if you keep both of their internals, and block stock.
As long as its forced induced hp on the stock setup, I agree with that.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:11 AM   #99
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Corvette ZO6 vs Mustang Cobra SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19
As long as its forced induced hp on the stock setup, I agree with that.
yes... forced induction
Old 11-20-2003, 09:24 AM   #100
Polygon
The Red Baron

Re: Re: Re: Corvette ZO6 vs Mustang Cobra SVT

Quote:
Yeah, I'll agree with you there.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #101
mxd6
AF Newbie

weight, gears ratio and aerodynamics

The Z06 is 15k more than a fully equiped SVT so the best bang for your buck is the Mustang. Both of these cars are not even in the same category. The vette is also lighter with fiberglass body which accounts for light weight and better times. The "case" 4.6 block is also heavier than the aluminum Z06. So if you add this all up.....the vette's times are slightly better due to weight and areodynamics of the car.
The 4.6 is more powerful but we also have to look at rear end gears also.
So kids, there are many factors to look at.

Hey, who wants to pay over 2 bucks for premium and get under 20 mpg in the city?

I think the MUSCLE CAR is coming to an end once again. GAS PRICES THIS TIME!
Old 07-01-2004, 02:00 PM   #102
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

hell no, muscle still has a few years to go at least
Old 07-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #103
Pick
AF Fanatic

Re: weight, gears ratio and aerodynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd6
The Z06 is 15k more than a fully equiped SVT so the best bang for your buck is the Mustang. Both of these cars are not even in the same category. The vette is also lighter with fiberglass body which accounts for light weight and better times. The "case" 4.6 block is also heavier than the aluminum Z06. So if you add this all up.....the vette's times are slightly better due to weight and areodynamics of the car.
The 4.6 is more powerful but we also have to look at rear end gears also.
So kids, there are many factors to look at.

Hey, who wants to pay over 2 bucks for premium and get under 20 mpg in the city?

I think the MUSCLE CAR is coming to an end once again. GAS PRICES THIS TIME!
Hey, I know you're a newb, but this thread is 7 months old. We try to keep dead threads that way here at AF. Please don't bring up old threads. Good day.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:30 PM   #104
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

I'm sorry, I know we are not supposed to post in old threads, but I just have to say... How can you say the muscle car is coming to end... do you even know what you are talking about... obviously not... because a I6 TT car will eat just as much gas as V8. In case you missed JH physics, power is derived from potential energy, that in a combustable fuel, i.e. Gas, so any car making 400HP is going to require a substantial amount of energy, aka A LOT of gas. And LS1/LS6's get pretty decent gas milage for a 350.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons