Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: What is Better
MUSTANG GT 20 29.41%
CAMARO Z28 48 70.59%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #76
Jay2002WS6
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jay2002WS6
Quote:
Originally posted by 1996Z28SS
The SS is just an upgraded Z28. The Z28 would have more options because the Z's sent to SLP were loaded to start with. I know the 1996 SS's were down this way, chevy sent the z28 off to SLP and they upgraded the exhaust, suspension, intake, slapped vette wheels on it and a couple of other options depending on the package and sent it out the door.
Z28 doesn't have more options...

Here's the skinny on 98+ f-bodies.

Chevrolet:
Camaro V6
Camaro RS (Same V6 engine. It was sent to SLP for a performance and appearance package, it has better exhaust and about 10 more HP than the basic V6)
Camaro Z28 (The cheapest of the LS1 f-bodies. It is a a little known fact that a basic Z28 was actually cheaper than a Mustang GT. The LS1 Z28 is rated at 310 HP.)
Camaro SS (The Z28's were sent to SLP for some modifications. These mods included hood, airbox lid, tires, rims, suspension, exhaust, and other appearance/luxury mods. A Camaro SS could be had anywhere from 325 to 345 HP from your dealer.)

Pontiac:
Firebird V6
Firebird GT (Is the same thing as the Camaro RS)
Firebird Formula (Is the cheapest of the LS1 Firebirds. It is basically a V6 body with the LS1 engine in it. It doesn't have all the frills of the Trans Am, and thus is the lightest of all the body styles.)
Firebird Trans Am (310 HP LS1, leather seats, trim, and high spoiler come standard.)
Firebird Trans Am WS6 (My car The Trans Am WS6 is similar to the basic Camaro SS. It has a new hood, better suspension, less restrictive exhaust, and ram air. Rated at 325 HP.)
Firebird Firehawk (The mother of all the SLP cars... The Firehawk is comparable to the fully loaded Camaro SS. The Firehawk is 345 HP standard, and has better suspension, exhaust and tires. Things that are options on the Camaro SS are standard on Firehawk.)

That's it for the f-bodies that you will see from day to day.

Every once in a while, you may be so fortunate as to catch a glimpse of the GMMG f-bodies. Like a Berger SS, or a Firebird BlackBird with 380 HP. Maybe if you are really lucky, you'll see a Camaro ZL1 supercar with the C5-R LS6 and 600 HP.... don't get your hopes up.... it costs over $100K

Another note... yes the SVT Cobra is simply bad-ass. Give credit where credit is due, and don't come up with a lame excuse like "all they did was slap a blower on it." Eat some humble pie, go to work, mod your car, and come back and spank it
Old 08-16-2003, 11:24 PM   #77
95camarom6
AF Newbie

mustangs are slower and shitty looking. my friend has a 95 gt while i have a 95 z28. i gave him about 4 car lengths of a head start and still smoked his ass in the qaurter, and his engine has some mods on it. mustangs just suck.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:01 AM   #78
spiznizel
AF Newbie

f.o.r.d
F*#ck on race day
Old 08-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #79
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Ford Mustang GT VS Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95camarom6
mustangs are slower and shitty looking. my friend has a 95 gt while i have a 95 z28. i gave him about 4 car lengths of a head start and still smoked his ass in the qaurter, and his engine has some mods on it. mustangs just suck.
The GT mustang cannot be compared with a Z28. Ford didn't make the GT to combat them, that's what the Cobra a Mach are for.
Why don't you try to race a Mach I? After it smokes your doors off, maybe you will think differently. A Mach cannot beat an LS1, but it will certainly smoke an LT1. And the same with the old Cobra's, which have the same engine as the new Mach I.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:02 PM   #80
Jay2002WS6
AF Regular

Re: Re: Ford Mustang GT VS Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
The GT mustang cannot be compared with a Z28. Ford didn't make the GT to combat them, that's what the Cobra a Mach are for.
Why don't you try to race a Mach I? After it smokes your doors off, maybe you will think differently. A Mach cannot beat an LS1, but it will certainly smoke an LT1. And the same with the old Cobra's, which have the same engine as the new Mach I.
Dude...

How can you say the GT and Z28 cannot be compared - and then say it is the Z28 and the Mach 1 that should be compared?

There is no 2003 Z28. There is no 2002 Mach 1.

These cars were never even produced at the same TIME! How the hell can you say they were supposed to compete with EACH OTHER?

I will give you that it is a more fair competition between the Z28 and Mach 1... but don't kid yourself by saying the GT wasn't supposed to compete with the Z28 while the Z28 was in production. Just because the Camaro whipped the shit out of its counterpart from Ford doesn't mean you should start comparing cars that weren't meant to compete with each other to make up for the GT's inadequacy.

While the f-bodies were in production, there was no Mustang that compared... i.e. the Z28 smoked the GT. The WS6 and SS smoked the Cobra. Saleens were garbage (that's right, I said it) and no Mustang will ever touch the Camaro ZL1.

Now the 2003 Cobra and the Mach 1 are serious cars, indeed. I like them quite a bit. But there is no 2003 f-body to compete with them... I wish there were. I wonder what would have become of the WS6 the second GM heard Ford was throwing a supercharger on the Cobra ... that's all speculation.

Just don't kid yourself by saying the Z28 wasn't Ford's main competitor with the GT.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:33 PM   #81
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Ford Mustang GT VS Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2002WS6
Dude...

How can you say the GT and Z28 cannot be compared - and then say it is the Z28 and the Mach 1 that should be compared?
The old Cobra (96-99) has the same engine as the new Mach I. I remember mentioning the cobra...
I still don't even understand how YOU can say that they should be compared, 260 HP VS 310 + more torque? Plus the obvious price differences, like 6 grand right?
Old 08-17-2003, 08:15 PM   #82
Jay2002WS6
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ford Mustang GT VS Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote:
The old Cobra (96-99) has the same engine as the new Mach I. I remember mentioning the cobra...
I still don't even understand how YOU can say that they should be compared, 260 HP VS 310 + more torque? Plus the obvious price differences, like 6 grand right?

You are horribly wrong on the price difference... a basic Z28 could be had for around $23K.

Don't blame me for comparing 260 HP to 310 HP... blame Ford. While the Z28 was in produciton, Ford competed with it using the Mustang GT. Since the Z28 is out of production, you can't say that any Mustang released in the future was meant to challenge the Camaro.

It is certainly a BETTER matchup between the Mach 1 and Z28... too bad Ford didn't produce the Mach1 while the Z28 was still around.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:02 PM   #83
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ford Mustang GT VS Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote:
Sorry buddy, but price rules all, the GT is the Z28's competitor and it fails miserably in every aspect, except sales being its such a wonderful secretaries car. Even the cobras and machI's are slower down the 1/4 comparing best times, they are however much closer then the GT, it only takes a 30K+ car from ford to compete with a 23K Z28...
Old 08-23-2003, 11:48 PM   #84
five-oh
AF Newbie

ok, we're looking at cars that have been constant rivals. They've always been competing with each other. Some generations stangs rock and sometimes chevy is on top. It all evens out when you look at it! It doesnt really matter at all ok? they're all sweet as hell and they're all American!

Honestly, I hate when i see these die-hard chevy or ford guys that are always going at each others throats. Its just a matter of which car looks better to YOU!

personally i prefer the stangs. I'm not saying i dont like the camaros or anything or think they're slow! Either way, they're both fast cars. But of course there will always be that competitive feeling between muscle car owners....
Old 08-24-2003, 08:56 PM   #85
stangvette1
Banned

Yes, the mustang gt will get beat by the camaro Z28, the camaro ss, and the transam. But the gt is NOT the best comparison for these gm muscle cars! The mach 1 is! The mach 1 can run low 13s, which is pretty good for a 29k car. Besides, the 2003 cobra would blow the frickin doors off of any camaro or transam ever made!
Old 08-25-2003, 07:09 AM   #86
All this Crap
AF Newbie

Who stopped Chevy from producing Camaros? answer that for me, it's not Fords fault that they did. Mustangs DO look better and PWN did mention the older Cobras...

"Kristin Kreuk is beautiful"-All this Crap
Old 08-25-2003, 04:57 PM   #87
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangvette1
Yes, the mustang gt will get beat by the camaro Z28, the camaro ss, and the transam. But the gt is NOT the best comparison for these gm muscle cars! The mach 1 is! The mach 1 can run low 13s, which is pretty good for a 29k car. Besides, the 2003 cobra would blow the frickin doors off of any camaro or transam ever made!
I've been saying that from the start.
Mach I with Drag radials is capable of high 12's, but completely stock low 13's like you said.
Yeah the new cobra will smack the crap out of it, but look at the price difference...
Old 08-26-2003, 09:41 AM   #88
intox
AF Regular

The Stang GT verse a z28, ||the Z28||

Transam WS6 verse Cobra R ||Cobra R||
Old 08-26-2003, 10:31 AM   #89
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by intox
The Stang GT verse a z28, ||the Z28||

Transam WS6 verse Cobra R ||Cobra R||

Out of curiosity, what are the specs on the Cobra R, Im not the most informed when it comes to mustangs.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #90
intox
AF Regular

Re: Re: Ford Mustang GT VS Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILike2DriveCars
Out of curiosity, what are the specs on the Cobra R, Im not the most informed when it comes to mustangs.
Cobra R ($55,000)
385bhp @ 6250rpm
385lb-fft @ 4250rpm
0-60 4.5sec
1/4mile 12.9 sec @ 113mph
skidpad 1.01g