Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 02:13 AM   #1
x1gary
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to x1gary Send a message via MSN to x1gary Send a message via Yahoo to x1gary
Coil Overs or Springs

Mmm... I was Just wondering if anyone could give me some advise on lowering my car, which would be the best way to go:
1. Coil Overs ($200) 0 -4 inch drop
2. Springs ($300) 2 inch drop
3. Air ride ($1,200) Installed 0 - 6 inch drop

I need more advise on option 1 and 2... I hear good and bad about both, i was just wondering if anyone had them installed already, and which rides better ( Coil over or Springs )?
Old 07-10-2004, 12:30 AM   #2
tyker99
Banned

Send a message via AIM to tyker99
Re: Coil Overs or Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1gary
Mmm... I was Just wondering if anyone could give me some advise on lowering my car, which would be the best way to go:
1. Coil Overs ($200) 0 -4 inch drop
2. Springs ($300) 2 inch drop
3. Air ride ($1,200) Installed 0 - 6 inch drop

I need more advise on option 1 and 2... I hear good and bad about both, i was just wondering if anyone had them installed already, and which rides better ( Coil over or Springs )?

my advice to you, is GET ON EBAY!
those prices your talking are ridiculous.

springs, coil-overs are your best bet, I recommend coil overs....that's what I have, 2 inch drop front and back....real easy to work with, comes with specific keys to upper and lower the springs.

ebay is THE best automotive/mod car marketplace.
great prices, amazing parts, everything you need.
tyker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 02:58 AM   #3
altimaracer
AF Newbie

Get springs they ride softer unlike coil overs where ur shit will be bouncin all over the road and or u could find somebody to cut some coils off ur stock springs which would also make it lower for next to nothin but if u do get those springs try to find a camber kit for it or lowering it will be a waist of time because ur tires will wear down faster and ull find ur car not handling as well as the stock springs but whatever works do it
altimaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
tyker99
Banned

Send a message via AIM to tyker99
Re: Re: Coil Overs or Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by altimaracer
Get springs they ride softer unlike coil overs where ur shit will be bouncin all over the road and or u could find somebody to cut some coils off ur stock springs which would also make it lower for next to nothin but if u do get those springs try to find a camber kit for it or lowering it will be a waist of time because ur tires will wear down faster and ull find ur car not handling as well as the stock springs but whatever works do it
your a fuckin idiot man...what are you, like 15 years old?

Coil overs are spring, dickweed...they just have better parts. Springs don't ride softer, springs "spring" more, which means you bounce more over little bumps and shit in the road, coil overs have the extra coil peices and they are generally smaller, which doesn't give you an extremely low stance for your car, but keeps your ride from "bouncin all over the road"

you have got to be the dumbest motherfucker I have ever talked to, next thing you'll tell me is a blow off valve is strictly Turbo or Supercharger and won't work without one of those. Or that you have to have a Turbo or Supercharger to effectively use a Front Mount Intercooler....or, better yet...tell me that using a FMI you can't mount a "spray" resevoir into the gas pedal to spray water on it to boost cold air horsepower, or that only NOS can do that.

Seriously...does your mom know your online? Shouldn't you be doing chores? Take out the garbage, make sure your included.

thank you, thank you...I'll be here all week.

to you, question dude...go with coil overs...do a body kit, and rims...preferably 17 or 18 and then once you see the body kit stance on the car and how it looks with rims...then decide how low you want to put the car. Best advice you can get.
tyker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:42 AM   #5
sfpearl300z
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sfpearl300z
dude you should bag it all the way it would look so hot theres nothin kewler than the chassis draggin ass on the ground

Just kidding there Gary. Do you really plan on adjusting the ride height all that often? Just remember, evertime you adjust them, you will throw off the camber adjustments and you run the risk of not adjusting them evenly. After a couple of times adjusting them, they could be way off when it comes to being equal on all four corners. I would say springs if you can get them low enough. At least 2 inches. You may need shocks in the long run as well so keep that in mind. ttyl.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:03 AM   #6
altimaracer
AF Newbie

I was talking about which one rides better from experience but this will explain it. Here this might help

* Always Align Car After Lowering *

1. Coilovers

These are a combination component. They contain springs, struts (integrated) and have the ability to adjust ride height and often times the rebound and dampening characteristics of the shocks. When you are looking for the ultimate in ride height adjustability and true all out performance for the street and the track, this is what you buy. When you buy coil overs, you do not need to buy springs or struts, you have it all!

2. Springs. Lowering Springs. Lowering Kit.

These terms are most often associated with the springs only and are used for lowering (to a fixed height as they are not adjustable). If all you want to do is lower your car and gain some basic cornering performance this is all you need.

3. Struts/Shocks

These two terms are basically interchangeable. The struts are the part of the suspension assembly that you see is fitted INSIDE the springs. You would typically purchase new struts when your are leaking oil or just worn out. You would also typically purchase new struts when you buy lowering springs (unless your car is quite new).

HOPE ALL THIS HELPS!!
altimaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:28 PM   #7
x1gary
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to x1gary Send a message via MSN to x1gary Send a message via Yahoo to x1gary
Thanx for all the help, I got springs w\ a 2 inch drop all around. I paid about $340 for springs and new struts. I will post pictures after i install them

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima