Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:16 PM   #121
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

I'm not doubting you, I just wanted to point that out.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #122
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

no where have i said that nothing can touch an evo..
but overrated?
it's not.

joseph, thanks for seeing what i'm sayin
Old 05-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #123
TatII
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Sanchez
I live in California, I guess that could effect things somehow. Hey kudos to your friend for beating a Porshe non turbo with his turbo EVO. Hot day, Cold day, new day, old day I said what I said I meant what I meant all EVO overrated 100% kidding a little Dr. Seuss for you there. Say what you want it just seems that you are telling me nothing can touch an EVO (with the exception of the Skyline of course) and I'm just saying the ones that I've seen are basically loosing in the streets. I'm not trying to upset you hell maybe where you live nothing can touch them (with the exception of the vaunted Skyline of course) I just haven't seen it yet.
trust me we are aware of the EVO being very beatable. my friends are definitly scared to race a LS1 powered V8 in anything other then a stop light drag. we don't think our cars are gods, in fact we got quit use to the evos speed and is dying to make it faster. my friend with the evo raced a supra tt on the highway for the hell of it knowing he would lose, and guess what? even though the evo out acelerated the surpa to 100mph ( the evo had a slight head start ) the supra caught up liek the evo was standing still. he has never seen anything caught up to anything that hard before. but he won becuase there was alot of sweeps on that highway and lost him in the corners. but in a straightline race the supra would've murdered him. and he knows it too. so how does that make us think the EVO is god? just becuase we are defending doens't mean we think its the ultimate street car.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 05-05-2004, 11:27 PM   #124
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

Question, can the Evo that ran 12.9 be a fluke? What was his 60'? Did he dump the clutch at near redline? I mean, it's not the norm for this car.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #125
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

since i don't know the guy...
grab that link from a couple pages back, and sign on to evom.net, and then PM the guy...

did he dump the clutch near redline?
maybe...
i wouldn't be surprised, it's the best way to launch awd...

norm?
what, honestly, is the norm?
what a magazine posted for it?
what a bunch of evo owners posted for it?
put it (a stock ANYTHING) in the hands of someone who drag races a modified version of the car, and you'll see some amazing times...
i'm sure if you put one of the awd dsm drivers (from idra, etc) into a stock evo, after a couple runs you'd be seeing times you didn't think possible...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:11 AM   #126
MACHTHIS
AF Newbie

I know for a fact a stock evo will not touch 12's.. I have seen many race at the track, and raced against one the first time I took the mach to the track.. They are baddass cars, but they aren't going to run 12's stock. A 13.2 is the lowest I have seen a near stock evo run, and thats almost tearing the clutch and tranny out of the damn car on launch. When I raced against the guy that made a 13.5 pass(to my 13.08), he got the jump on me from the start due to awd, but I was constantly reeling him in, and passed him as I hit the end of 2nd gear. I didn't stop pulling on him until I crossed the line, so its not like an evo pulls really hard after launch. Its the launch that gets that car to the low 13's. I was almost certain that it would be hard to reel in the turbo car before we raced, but after seeing that I can pull on him without sweating, hell I have a different outlook on them now. The guy was very good behind the wheel, I posted yesterday that he shares a 69 Mach with his brother that runs low 11's. Anyways, EVO 8= nice car, but not faster than a stock Mach 1, no matter how you launch it. Sorry for the jabbering.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #127
TatII
AF Fanatic

i would've sworn mach 1's only runs a high 13 and a mid 13 at best stock. i mean a stock cobra runs a mid to low 13 when the magazines test it and they run high 12's when regular people drive it. so how can a car that makes 70 less hp be only 2-3 tenths faster? if your mach1 really is that fast, then kudos to you, but i'm not sure if all mach 1's runs that time because a friend of my co worker owns a mach 1 and he run's high 13's at the track.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 05-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #128
MACHTHIS
AF Newbie

I honestly had a father and his son come out of the stands that day at the track and question me about my car running a flat 13.. They also said like yourself that they thought they ran high 13's.. I read somewere myself that they run high 13's, but I read a little farther, and thats the automatic Mach one. I forget which mag it is, but it stated that they ran a 13.09 @ 106.7. Thats almost the exact speed I ran, so my car is not a factory freak.. You are right, a stock mach vs a stock cobra, and the cobra takes the win by only 2-3, unless the cobra guy can't drive. The cobra guys at the track that day were running 12.6-12.9's, so a cobra is a mid 12 second car. Alot of people like to think they can barely run in the 12's which is untrue if you go to the track and watch a cobra owner that can drive. The biggest reason for the mach being able to keep up with the new cobra is the IRS(independant rear suspension). It kills the potential of the 390 ponies. The engine in the mach is amazingly strong, and also it has the ram air working for it too. I can drive the mach to a 1.9 60 foot time on stock tires, and those boys that day at the track with all those new cobras could only pull 2-2.1's. Just so you believe me, I am going to post a few timeslips if I can get my hands on a friends scanner. Since then, I put a full exhaust system and BBK x pipe on it, and underdrive pulleys, so I am certain I can break 12's, and quite possibly tie or beat some cobras.. Oh, and I love the bouncing girl with the big jugs!!! NICE!!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #129
TatII
AF Fanatic

hahah thanks for the compliment on my sig. anyways i guess its possible since you don't seem like the type that would bullshit and your not hte type that puts other cars down. however i would be more interested in a link of a place where you see a 5 speed version running low 13's, becuase i never even know mach1 came in a auto version.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 05-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #130
MACHTHIS
AF Newbie

Go on machoneregistries.com and look under the thread that talks about the production numbers of the mach one. There are more 5 speeds than auto's of course, but there are for sure autos. When I was going to purchase mine, they had two, one was an auto, the other was 5 speed.. The auto runs a 13.8. The article I read states that even though its an auto, it will break loose bad shifting to second bone stock.. That surprised the heck out of me. Sorry I don't have time to post the exact link, but I am sure you will see for yourself if you check out that site. It also tells you how many of each color there are. I got the zinc yellow due to there only being 869 in the world.. gotta get back to work.. Later for now...
Old 05-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #131
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

MACHTHIS i read early that u ran a 1.9 60' time. Did you have slicks on? because that is a really fast time for a RWD stock car. An LS1 cmaro or TA cant do that and i know for a fact that the LS1's camaro and TA's are faster
Old 05-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #132
MACHTHIS
AF Newbie

I am not sure were you are getting your facts, but yes I ran a 1.9 60 foot time on the goodyear eagles repeatedly. No slicks. And also, a LS1 or TA is not necessarily faster than a mach. I have seen LS1's not be able to break 13.5's. Now it can be a drivers race. And either one of those cars can hit the 60 foot mark at 1.9 on street tires with a driver that is capeable of launching a powerful car without f'ing it up.. I have no reason to lie.. The best race I have been in happened on the street between my friend Bill and I. he has a WS6, and we ran side by side all the way through about 110, then shut them down.. You are underrestimating Machs. Go drive one, they are more than the rumors you have heard obviously..I think my worst pass on the quarter track was 13.3??, and thats when I tried to launch from 1000 RPM instead of my normal 1500.. So of course, I bogged a little, and then got into the gas too hard and spun a little. I still passed the finish line at 106, but the 60 on that specific run sucked..Just go onto Mach1registries.com and take a look for yourself. They are a good group of guys, and they provide proof of flat 13's, and also some are showing 12.8-12.9ish passes.. Guess they are better drivers than me.... Thanks for reading..
Old 05-06-2004, 03:12 PM   #133
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

So your telling me you can keep up with me in the launch. Because i run 1.9 60' time. Best i got so far is a 1.86 60' time.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:26 PM   #134
MACHTHIS
AF Newbie

Well, since you can cut a 1.86 in the 60, then no I cannot. I have three timeslips I keep in my car that all have 1.9? on them, and the 1320 ranges from the best being 13.08 to the worst being 13.3. No reason to try to call my bluff, I didn't state my times so I could defend them with 1 person that is questioning me. I previously had a 2003 stang GT and I could pull a 2.0 with it completely stock.. I have been drag racing for years, so that could help some. And the Machs suspension is way better for the strip than the gt.. Just do some research rather than make me get back on this addictive forum crap while at work...lol..
Old 05-06-2004, 03:27 PM   #135
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

you're telling us for a fact that a stock evo can't hit 12's?

have you talked to the guy that posted the 12.9 on evom.net, or are you just ignoring that for now?

seriously.

it may not be the norm, but he did it, didn't he?

have you asked people like dave buschur what their evo could hit stock if really beat on?

doubt it.

ask some awd dsm tuners what they got a stock evo down to, or what a pro racer could get it down to.

you can't say that there's no way it will get into the 12's, especially b/c you can't back it up.
your only backing is that the people YOU have seen haven't done it...

but have you seen the guy that did it on evom.net?

or asked other people who have? hmmm

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons