Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 03:56 PM   #1
V00D00
AF Enthusiast

To do or not to? H22A swap

Ive got a wierd deal ive got a chance to buy a JDM H22A everything included (ecu tranny engine mounts etc) and installed for 400 bucks.
The engine is used (60k) thats probrally why the price tag is so low.

In this swap i know its said that i have to yank out my air conditioning and my power steering system to make room. Is this unavoidable? My car is a daily driver and yanking out the creature comforts is something im not looking forward too.

Just wondering how reliable is this swap? From what i read the engine overheats allot without loads of work,and the suspension needs an upgrade soon also because the engine ways 200lbs more.
Besides that is it a worthy swap?
Old 05-27-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
TheRebirth
Banned

400 bucks? are you sure theres nothing wrong with it? sounds a little suspicious...otherwise...thats one amazing price

anyway...it "can be" a good swap - depends on what you wanna use it for. Most Civic/h22 users go drag since it gives monstrous torque and hp, but the weight of the engine does a lot to your handling - usually provides major understeer, so thats something you might want to consider. - a suspension upgrade would be extremely smart.

I've never heard of the overheating problem...I'm sure its nothing to worry about since my prelude is hell of a lot heavier for the engine to be lugging around and its temperatures are fine. An h22 pulling around a super light civic should be waaayy easier on it, so everything should be good.

The removal of the air conditioning and power steering...i'm not to sure about

Hope this helped.
TheRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
93accordEX
AF Enthusiast

that is very suspicous considering just the install into a civic would normally be about 2-3 times more than that. then add on the price of the engine, about 2k at the cheapest, and you are saving like nearly 3k with this "deal" something definetly doesnt sound right.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:48 AM   #4
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
agreed an H22a should be running around 5g with install, so for 400 bux, id triple check everything and then get some kind of written warranty with it.

the engine is much bigger so the loss of the ac and p/s is prolly true, but when ur tearing up the 1/4mile who needs the extra weight anyway.

as far as overheating is concerned, a regular motor like that should not have any troubles, its when you start swapping the heads around and creating frankenstein motors, is when they start to be less reliable and overheat.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 05:39 AM   #5
V00D00
AF Enthusiast

I havent had a chance to look at it and i havent got a chance to talk to the seller either so im waiting on that also.My gfs manager at work tricks out all the cars he owns (4) and comes across allot of deals.So thats how i heard of this was through my gf and her manager not the actual seller.
Like all of youve said the price is a little wierd for something so expensive and ive noticed this.
Just wondering ,if i get a chance to look at the engine what things should i look for if something is bad with the engine?
Old 05-29-2003, 07:02 PM   #6
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
obviosuly make sure its not leaking any fluids anywhere, check carfully for any cracks in the head/block, maybe pull the head if you can and look at the inside of the motor to see how bad it looks.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram