Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
bullseye
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to bullseye Send a message via Yahoo to bullseye
YES another question!!

ok i coudnit fid out what a liter is like car wise i hear ppls say like a V-6 bla blah liter engin well what is it?? sorry for the dum question!
Old 05-07-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
Sluttypatton
AF Enthusiast

There is no such thing as a dumb question. The term "liter" refers to the theoretical volume of air/fuel that all of an engines cylinders can intake in one full cycle (a cycle is characterised as four strokes, intake, compression, power, exhaust). It is really only the intake stroke that concerns this term though, as it is a measure of intake volume. I said theoretical because due to engine inefficiency, an engine may not be able to actually intake this volume of air. The reason we use this term is as a guide. GENERALLY, this is by no means a rule, the more liters (or "displacement") an engine has, the more power it can produce.
Last edited by Sluttypatton on 13-54-2098 at 25:75 PM.
Sluttypatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:44 AM   #3
CAptynCrunch
AF Enthusiast

A liter is the standard metric unit for volume. A liter is defined as the space occupied by 1 liter of pure water at 4 degrees Celcius, but thats not really important in this case. All you really need to know is how big it is and thats One(1) cubic decimeter.

Now a cubic decimeter isn't something most people can picture easily. A decimeter is ten centimeters so if you have a decimeter times a decimeter times a decimeter thats the same as 10 centimeters times 10 centimeters times 10 centimeters. 10 times 10 times 10 is 1000. So Thats 1000 cc'c(cubic centimeters) which is the same as a liter. Now if all of this is to jumbled to make sense of, just go buy a 1 liter bottle of pop at the store and thats what 1 liter is.

Now how does this apply to Cars? like slutty said when a car says it has a certain liter engine it's talking about how big it is or it's Displacement. If a car says it has a 1.6Liter 4 cylinder engine then this means in total it displaces 1.6Liters or 1600cc's. Now if you divide the total displacement by the number of cylinders you'll get the displacement of one cylinder. So 1600/4 = 400cc's, so one cylinder in a 1.6L four cylinder is 400cc's or just a bit bigger than a can of coke.

The way this really works in cars though is that the displacement is determined by the bore and stroke of the engine. However I was until the wee hours of the morning last night and I also just ran out of codine tablets for my throat which isn't healed like it should be so I'm gonna end this one here, I'll finish later.

The only thing better than cars is Music... maybe.
CAptynCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
bullseye
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to bullseye Send a message via Yahoo to bullseye
R
I
G
H
T
im sure ill git that soon but for now :cry:
Old 05-08-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
LB Dinh
AF Newbie

What's so hard to understand? Liter is just a volume. A typical Soda bottle (coca cola, pepsi, etc...) is 2 Liters.

Cubic Centimeters is what it is...think of a box that can hold 1cm x 1cm x 1cm of water...that's a cubic centimeter right there.

1 cubic centimeter = 1 milliLiter
1000 cubic centimeter = 1 Liter

Think of it this way...an engine takes in a certain volume of air (air contains O2, CO2, etc...) in Liters. The fuel injection system balances mixture of air with fuel. The container holding that mixture of fuel and air is the cylinder (think of a cylinder shaped object, that's it).
LB Dinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
BeEfCaKe
AF Enthusiast

The letter basically stands for teh alignment of the cylinders. Common ones are:
V - basically two rows of cylinders in a V shaped(at an angle), this angle can vary.. probably most common, V6, V8, V12, etc.
I - Inline, all are lined up(all 4 cylinders use this), some are I6(e.g, skyline engine rb26). I6 is not commonly used because it is heavy, takes up more space with V6, and it is harder to engineer..
W - Fairly new, I *think* only engine is the W16, which is like 1000hp stock..

I think others might want to add to this, I'm really tired right now(haven't slept for at least 48 hours), and I can't think of much more..
BeEfCaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:43 PM   #7
Steel
AF Fanatic

then theres rotaries, which are nothing like piston engines, displace 1.3 liters (about the same as those suzuki swifts), but make plenty of power. Use a lotta gas though.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:36 PM   #8
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Steel
then theres rotaries, which are nothing like piston engines, displace 1.3 liters (about the same as those suzuki swifts), but make plenty of power. Use a lotta gas though.
Yeah I don't understand how they get the displacement of rotaries? The size of the triangle thingy?
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
we actually got to the bottom of that in a different thread:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t93398.html
Old 05-14-2003, 11:53 AM   #10
Hudson
Old Mod

While most of what has been said has been correct, it may be over the head of someone asking this sort of question. I'll try to rephrase.

First, a cylinder is the chamber in which the energy from a fuel is turned into the movement of the engine (in a piston engine, I'm avoiding the confusion of a rotary engine for the moment). The piston is the device that transfers this energy to the crankshaft, which, in turn, moves the transmission/axle/wheels.

Engine size is measured in volume. The measurement is the volume "displaced" by the moving cylinder/rotor. As a piston moves from its top position to its bottom position, it moves through a set volume. The cylinder (the area in which the piston moves) can actually hold MORE volume than the said displacement; when the piston is at the top of its travel (TDC or top dead center), there is a space above the piston which is not measured as part of the displacement of an engine.

Simply put, the displacement of an engine is the volume as measured by using the bore of the piston (the diameter of the piston) and its stroke (the range on which it moves) multiplied by the number of cylinders.

As for cylinder arrangement, there are basically two setups. An inline engine has all cylinders lined up. An "I4" (or "L4") engine, for example has four cylinders in a straight line. In smaller engines, this provides excellent packaging where the engine is narrow for placement in small cars. There are benefits to an engine's smoothness found in inline six cylinder engines (with negative points being engine length), but more than six cylinders in an inline engine causes additional stress on certain engine parts.

The other arrangement is a "V". The cylinders are divided into groups which are connected to the crankshaft at an angle. Most engines have two "banks" of cylinders and can be arranged from very narrow angles (15 degrees is currently the most narrow V engine) to a "flat" or "horizontally opposed" layout (180 degrees). There are some flat four cylinder engines, but angled engines are usually found with six or more cylinders. The V design allows for better packaging by reducing the overall length of the engine.

The "W" engine mentioned eariler is simply a V engine with four banks of cylinders. Volkswagen is the only company currently toying with the idea and they have a "W8" engine (two 15 degree V4s connected at a 72 degree angle) in production at the moment with W12 and W16 engines planned for the near future. Volkswagen also showed a concept W18 with three banks of six cylinders each, but it was just a concept.

I hope this helps.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:04 PM   #11
Steel
AF Fanatic

for rotaries, its the maxumum swept area volume (650cc's) x no. of rotors (2) =1300cc's.

Though some people will disagree and want to multiply by 2, because theres 3 different sides on the rotor blah blah blah. I just stick with what the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) say, and they say 1.3 liters

or 2.0 for the 20b

or... 2.6 for the 4 rotor 26b racing engine! :twoguns:
Old 05-14-2003, 04:51 PM   #12
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
rotaries are only 1.3L at rest dynamically they're a 2 stroke cycle essentially (i know it has 4 stages but they dont require 4 different rotor movements, one of their saving graces) so doubling their displacement is a good was of telling how they perform dynamically.

Also, 61.1 CID/liter, just in case that hasnt been posted.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:07 PM   #13
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
they're a 2 stroke cycle essentially (i know it has 4 stages but they dont require 4 different rotor movements

Um, so do they have "two different rotor movements?"

If you look at the chamber volume over the cycle, it sure looks a whole lot more like four stroke than a two stroke. (The chamber goes big-small-big-small over the cycle, not just big-small)
Old 05-14-2003, 09:28 PM   #14
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Quote:
Originally posted by BeEfCaKe
The letter basically stands for teh alignment of the cylinders. Common ones are:
V - basically two rows of cylinders in a V shaped(at an angle), this angle can vary.. probably most common, V6, V8, V12, etc.
I - Inline, all are lined up(all 4 cylinders use this), some are I6(e.g, skyline engine rb26). I6 is not commonly used because it is heavy, takes up more space with V6, and it is harder to engineer..
W - Fairly new, I *think* only engine is the W16, which is like 1000hp stock..

I think others might want to add to this, I'm really tired right now(haven't slept for at least 48 hours), and I can't think of much more..
Volkswagen makes a W12 for that concept i think, and the W-16 is also quad turbocharged, I'd like to know what it makes for power N/A. I think they tried makin a W-12 or sumthin like that, not sure but I'll bet there are more W engines out there, maybe not in cars though.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 04:37 AM   #15
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Originally posted by ivymike1031
they're a 2 stroke cycle essentially (i know it has 4 stages but they dont require 4 different rotor movements

Um, so do they have "two different rotor movements?"

If you look at the chamber volume over the cycle, it sure looks a whole lot more like four stroke than a two stroke. (The chamber goes big-small-big-small over the cycle, not just big-small)
perhaps my explanation was poor, but by no means do they look anything like a 4 stroke piston engine in terms of induction through exhaust cycles. 1 rotor face will draw air/fuel in, compress, combust it and then evacuate the exhaust gas in 1 sweep, much like a 2 stroke engine performs. A 4 stroke piston engine requires the piston to cross its swept area 4 times to do the same work, i didnt think that this was very hard to get

the "4 stages but dont require 4 different rotor movements" is exactly what i just re-explained above, nothing more, but i suppose the choice of words isnt the best.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical