Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
HokkaHokka
AF Newbie

Moist underlay in recently purchased car

Hello,

I took delivery of a used Toyota Verso (09 plate) from a Toyota dealer last week (described by the salesman as "mint "!), and have since some issues.
The main one being that due a blocked air conditioning leak pipe, the car smelt unpleasant (suspicions were raised due to rusting present beneath the front seats.)
After inspection the carpet underlay was described as moist but not wet by the mechanic on inspection.
The smell was explained by bacteria caused by the damp issues.

They have rectified this with an antibacterial bomb which was activated with the air conditioning on while I waited at the dealership.
As I have two very young children, I am still a little concerned about the effectiveness of this treatment and was wondering if anybody had any experience of this?

I really don't want my kids breathing in bacteria etc if the treatment is flawed.

There is also a lingering smell of some kind.

By the by, the other issues that have came to light were, heavily damaged wheel trim, which detached itself on the 50 mile drive to the dealer, missing aerial and inoperative cigarette lighters (confirmed damaged due to the damp issue) we have also noticed that the gears stick a little.

Thanks in advance

HH
HokkaHokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Moist underlay in recently purchased car

Replace the carpet. Cheap and easy. You can usually find carpet kits online for $95. Remove four seats and the center console, replace, enjoy.

Its also not bacteria that usually happens. If its a stale, musty odor its a fungus. Its pretty harmless except that it smells bad. Even if you kill the fungus, the smell will remain. The only way to fix it is to replace the carpet.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
HokkaHokka
AF Newbie

Re: Moist underlay in recently purchased car

Thanks a lot for your reply - I appreciate the feedback.
I have told Toyota that I'm rejecting the car and they have said they will exchange or refund.

Thanks again HH
HokkaHokka is offline   Reply With Quote