Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
73Runner
AF Newbie

Does a "beep beep horn" really go "beep beep"?

I recently bought a 73 Road Runner clone (which started life as a Satellite Sebring). In finishing off what little was left to be restored/cloned, I bought a Voice of the Road Runner "beep beep horn" off of ebay. From the pictures I've seen online of the real deal, this horn looks to be right (i.e. correct shape, color, decal, etc).

Rightly or wrongly, I was expecting to hear a "beep beep" with one press on the horn button... all I got was a "beep".

I'm wondering if I got a faulty horn, if there are some electrical components missing that enabled the "double-beep" in a genuine Road Runner (which obviously wouldn't be present in a Sebring), or if I'm simply ignorant of the fact that you can't get a "beep beep" without pressing the button twice...

Has anyone else experienced this confusion?
73Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Re: Does a "beep beep horn" really go "beep beep"?

The horns installed in the Plymouth Road Runners were designed to make a "beep" sound similar to the Volkswagen Beetles of the same era. They were not preprogrammed to emit a "double-beep". They will make a continuous beep sound for as long as the horn button is depressed. To make it emit a "double-beep", you will need to depress and release the horn button twice in rapid succession.

Side note: The voice of the Road Runner in the cartoon series was provide by voice actor Mel Blanc. He recorded no more than a half dozen separate sound bites in one sitting in the early 1950's. Contrary to popular belief, he did not say "beep-beep". The correct pronounciation of the sound bites is "meep-meep". Listen carefully the next time you see the cartoon.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
cahk
AF Newbie

He hit it right on the head
Old 01-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahk
He hit it right on the head
Actually, Chrysler paid Warner Bros. a licensing fee and royalty for use of the name, likeness and "voice" of the Road Runner character. Presumably they had to pay for Wile E. Coyote later on.

In a RR test, Car and Driver described the horn as sounding like an early Econoline van.

Last edited by sub006; 11-26-2009 at 12:51 AM.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Just for fun... I also recall the decals placed on Chevelles, GTOs, etc. depicting Wiley Coyote holding the RR by the neck and the caption was "Beep Beep yurass!" (:-

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Brings back good ole memories. My old running buddy back in the early 70s had a '70 Roadrunner with 440 6 Pack and we used to laugh whenever he blew his horn. I had a modded '70 Dodge Challenger R/T with the 440 Magnum engine. Last I recall and if my memory serves me correct the "beep" "beep" or "meep" "meep" horns were the same ones like used in the old Jeep CJ3.

IMO the Super Bee had the coolest decals and logos. Plus Chrysler didn't have to pay a penny in royalty or licensing fees for the use.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post
Brings back good ole memories. My old running buddy back in the early 70s had a '70 Roadrunner with 440 6 Pack and we used to laugh whenever he blew his horn. I had a modded '70 Dodge Challenger R/T with the 440 Magnum engine. Last I recall and if my memory serves me correct the "beep" "beep" or "meep" "meep" horns were the same ones like used in the old Jeep CJ3.

IMO the Super Bee had the coolest decals and logos. Plus Chrysler didn't have to pay a penny in royalty or licensing fees for the use.
But didn't the Super Bee only last one year, that is, 1969? How many were sold, vs Road Runners for the same year?

I know Plymouth was supposed to be the "cheaper", "volume" car, while Dodge is the "performance" division, like Pontiac used to be.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
maxwedge
A990 racer

Super Bees were made from 68-70. Road Runners outsold the Bee, exact number could be found on a Google search. This is a pretty old thread, in the future satart a new one, thanks.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
cobrahd1999
AF Newbie

I had a 70 Roadrunner and to make it go beep beep had to press the horn fast twice..
"The trouble with the Vietnam War it killed so many that survived"
"That's all I have to say about that. "( Forrest Gump)
Retired Carpenter Local 272 Chicago

cobrahd1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrahd1999 View Post
I had a 70 Roadrunner and to make it go beep beep had to press the horn fast twice..
Whoo close!
Missed giving "Einstein" the correct answer by only 5 years.
Wished I coulda "programmed" my Corvair horn to give me "shave and a haircut", I had to figure out how to do it manually.
I guess we were a tougher breed back then...
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical