Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
fillander
AF Newbie

Spongy Brakes

Hi, I have noticed recently that when I take my 01 Grand Caravan sport on the highway that my brakes will become very spongy after awhile. This does not occur with typical city driving though. After about 20 minutes of highway speeds I can push my brake pedal almost to the floor. There is very little resistance at first and then it will engage. It is almost like there is air in the system but I don't think so since it would be like this all the time (i.e. the air can't just disappear).
Also in park I noticed that everytime I push the pedal I hear a click in the dashboard. It sounds like a relay engaging, could this have something to do with it? Since it has rear drum brakes I also thought about this being a cause. I am not familiar with drum brakes as all my other cars had disc brakes all around.
fillander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: Spongy Brakes

Do the brakes ever smell hot?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
fillander
AF Newbie

I have never noticed the smell and I probably would but I will pay close attention tonight.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Bear
AF Enthusiast

I have this issue witm y '96 and bleeding the brakes always solves the problem (for a time). I finally put some Russel Speed Bleeders on her so it was easier to bleed the brakes. I have new pads and shoes as well as new rear wheel cylinders and yet she still sucks air from somewhere.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
fillander
AF Newbie

Thanks, maybe I will bleed them just to be sure and change the shoes. Any thoughts on the clicking sound or is that normal?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Spit
AF Regular

One of the most common causes of spongy brakes is air in the lines, but another good thing to look at is your rear drum brakes. If they are out of adjustment (too loose) there will be a bit of sponginess when applying the brakes...even if your front disc brakes are well adjusted.. It has to do with the brake systems equalizing the pressure. If it takes to much to get the rears to engage, it slows the fronts from engaging. Lots of us fool with our front discs but never mess with the rear drum brakes so it's not unusual that the fronts have been changed 2 or 3 times and the rear drums never touched. These vans like lots of vehicles have automatic adjusters for the rears. Which do their thing only when the vehicle is driven in reverse.

It's an easy non technical thing you can try...take the van to an empty parking lot...drive in reverse and hit the brakes at about 10-15 mph do this over and over.. a dozen times or so. This should get the automatic brake adjusters to tighten up the brake pads to a closer fit to the drum. See if this can help

If that doesn't work you can bleed the brakes..really not as hard as it seems, there is a real simple one man bleeder kit you can get at Harbor Freight or an Auto Parts store for less than $10. I think the procedure is covered in the Haynes Manual for the T&C

Chuck
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
fillander
AF Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I actually have a bleeder kit but I think I will try your reverse suggestion. I knew about going in reverse to adjust but not the whole procedure you explained so I will do that next.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Spit
AF Regular

It's easy, doesn't cost anything to try and can't hurt a thing as long as you're careful when driving in reverse. That's why an empty parking lot makes sense. Good Luck
Spit
Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
plymouthsrock
AF Regular

Does your parking brake have excessive travel? If so, the problem is most likely in the rear.
plymouthsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Spit
AF Regular

What you're experiencing could be refered to as "brake fade" After the brakes heat up one of 2 things happens... 1. Mechanical Fade: The drum heats up and expands away from the brake shoe, or 2. Lining Fade: the surface of the lining is heating up and losing it's friction co-efficient i .e. it's ability to grip the drum.

I would try the easy things first..adjusting the rears driving in reverse. Visual inspection of the fronts...(that's easy) 2. bleeding all the way around. Manually adjusting the Rears jack up the rear end pop out the access plug and manually turn the star-wheel till the wheel drags...then back it off a quarter turn or so.

If all that fails...you may have to pull the drums and replace the rear drums...do-able but a lot more involved than the fronts. Get a Haynes or a Chiltons and do one wheel at a time so you can have the one you haven't taken apart yet as a guide to putting the one you've dismantled back together.

Spit
Old 09-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
exalteduser
Goober

Im pretty sure that click you here in park is the safety switch. on mine you cant shift out of park without pushing the brake, that click unlocks the gear lever
exalteduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
peterjon1
AF Regular

There's also a chance that a flexible hose is starting to go. They can separate internally, thus blocking the fluid from leaving a caliper, resulting in the brakes dragging.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager