Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
broken dodge
AF Newbie

Angry 2001 dodge caravan

installed starter in van turn key and all i hear is click click fuel pump relay and starter relay and starter solenoid dash panel all light up with key on battery checks out good solenoid and relay good all connections good i do not know where else or what else to check can anyone help also i do not hear the fuel pump run when key is on i jumped the positive lead to the solenoid lead and i crank just fine but still wont start with the key on
broken dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 2001 dodge caravan

First back up. Why are you changing the starter? Same thing happening with the original starter? Which engine?

Since your starter relay and solenoid are clicking the ign switch, TRS, and the all important ground from the PCM to the starter relay coil are there. What's left? Are you getting a full 12vdc at the solenoid when you turn the key? How about at the hot bat connection all the time? If not, tripple check that battery and it's connections. May have a battery cable with internal corrosion. The lights on the dash aren't a good indicator of a healthy battery. The best test for a battery is a load test. Autozone and others will do it for free.

Have you tapped the solenoid with the key turned? Not unheard of to install a bad starter. The starter solenoid and contacts are it's weakest components.

Fuel pump will run for two seconds then shutoff when you turn the key to on. It won't come on again until the cam sensor detects engine rotation.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
exalteduser
Goober

Re: 2001 dodge caravan

Quote:
Not unheard of to install a bad starter.
True that, especially if you buy that valuecraft/duralast crap from autozone, i know its the cheapest but i swear i have to constantly replace those brands over and over, sometimes even DOA items from them.
exalteduser is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager