Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 PM   #151
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQuick
First off, the e4wd system is supposed to be used in the GT-R. This first generation of the system weighs less than half as much as ATTESA-ETS. Now e4wd has been around since 2002, so it wouldn't be surprising if Nissan is able to release an even lighter version by the time the GT-R is launched.
What beats me though is not the weight of the electric motors but the weight of a possible battery. Does this AWD system need an auxiliary battery?
Its just considering that these electric motors are going to be used for secondary propulsion they will need to have an output similar to the main engine (for AWD starts) and from this it seems likely that they would have a higher current draw then a standard alternator could supply. Therefore (like an electric vehicles) they might have a large axillary battery or set of batteries, which charge up from the alternator purely for use by the electric motors.

In any case I am no electrician so I could be going about this the wrong way.

"I am ispeptic, phasmatic even compuntious to cause you such perry combobulations."
E. Blackadder 1827
Vettribution87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 AM   #152
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettribution87
What beats me though is not the weight of the electric motors but the weight of a possible battery. Does this AWD system need an auxiliary battery?
Its just considering that these electric motors are going to be used for secondary propulsion they will need to have an output similar to the main engine (for AWD starts) and from this it seems likely that they would have a higher current draw then a standard alternator could supply. Therefore (like an electric vehicles) they might have a large axillary battery or set of batteries, which charge up from the alternator purely for use by the electric motors.

In any case I am no electrician so I could be going about this the wrong way.
Quote:
The Cube is a front-driver, but with the optional e-4WD system, when wheelspin is detected, the rears are temporarily turned by an electric motor that derives its juice from the alternator.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=6

The Nissan Cube uses a detuned form of the E-AWD system that the GTR...atleast that is what i have gathered from what officials have said. So, I am sure that the motors are either very efficient or the Cube uses very small motors. Reguardless, the Cubes system will be no where near the capabilities of the GTR's system so who knows how Nissan will work it. I am sure it would have a bigger alternator than most cars...we will have to see.

Some of you seem quick to downplay the car and say it is going to be heavy and this and that but you really have no idea. Like Vquick and I keep saying...it should contain many Carbon Fiber parts...why do you think they would use CF on the R34 but then not use it on the more expensive GTR. i think it will have alot more weight saving options than you may think.

If you think logically...Nissan/Infiniti managed to keep the current G35 around 3500lbs at a price tag of $35k. They are giving themselves an extra $35k+ for improvements and better materials. Just seems irrational of Nissan to just add weight to the car and not even consider other options to lighten it back up.

I expect it to weigh well under 3500lbs.
ZedEx Crew Member #4

Last edited by k3smostwanted; 08-18-2005 at 04:33 AM.
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #153
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
The Nissan Cube uses a detuned form of the E-AWD system that the GTR...atleast that is what i have gathered from what officials have said. So, I am sure that the motors are either very efficient or the Cube uses very small motors. Reguardless, the Cubes system will be no where near the capabilities of the GTR's system so who knows how Nissan will work it. I am sure it would have a bigger alternator than most cars...we will have to see.
The thing about the Cube, Micra, etc that use e4wd is that they are the first vehicles to have it. The system has been around since 2002. I'm sure that by 2007 or 2008 that Nissan will have an even better version of the system available. It could be lighter, more powerful, and even faster reacting. The e4wd system already weighs less than half as much as ATTESA-ETS, reacts faster, and cuts down on drivetrain losses.

A GT-R fitted with e4wd would probably be more like an FR layout car most of the time. When wheelspin is detected, e4wd would start to power the front wheels to pick up the slack and get you out of trouble.

Quote:
i think it will have alot more weight saving options than you may think.
I'm sure one of those weight saving measures will be a smaller overall size, compared to the R34. With a smaller car, you use less materials, period.

7Tune.com is also saying that the revised FM platform may be designed primarily for the GT-R, then changed around for the V36 Skylines and Z34. If this is the case, it could be very good news, as there will be fewer compromises.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons