Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 10:43 AM   #1
a007apl
Banned

1967 330 GTS Versus 1997 F355

http://www.theautochannel.com/public...er8/pg26-3.jpg

Face Off!
1967 330 GTS Versus 1997 F355
Look closely at a 330 GTS and a 355 Spider-widely regarded as two of the best all-around Ferraris-and a fascinating question emerges: How have open-air Ferraris evolved over the past 30 years? Can a modern, mid-engined V8 posess the same on-the-road magic as a classic, front engined V12? Can the engineering, feel, and performance of three decades ago hold a candle to today's sophisticated construction techniques and computer-aided design? We asked Winston Goodfellow to bring his tape recorder and cameras to a no-holds-barred face off between Glenn Burkett's 330 and Tom Jow's 355.

B efore we jump behind the wheels, let's take a look at our contestants. The Pininfarina-styled 330 GTS was introduced at the 1966 Paris Auto Show, its appearance nearly identical to its 275 predecessor. External differences included revised rear styling, slightly wider track, and a new front end with longer overhang. Inside, the 330 retained the same luxurious mix of chrome, leather and wood, though the dashboard's appearance was entirely new. Power windows were standard, air conditioning optional.

The 330's chassis is tubular, its body panels pressed steel, and dry weight is 2,640 lbs. Suspension is independent front and rear, with unequal-length A-arms, coil springs, tube shock absorbers, and anti-roll bars. Brakes are power-assisted discs all around.

The front-mounted all-alloy 3967cc V12 produces 300hp. With two valves per cylinder, two camshafts, and three dual-throat 40 DFI Webers, the power peaks at the 7,000 rpm redline, and is transmitted to the rear wheels via a single-plate clutch and a five-speed transmission.

Just a 100 330 GTSs were built during its two-year production run. In 1969, it was succeeded by the more powerful and even more rare (20 built) 365 GTS.

The 355 debuted in 1993, and was offered as a coupe, targa, and spider (1994). Its Pininfarina-designed aluminum and steel body was all new, the subject of 1300-plus hours of wind tunnel analysis. The shape of the floor pan is an aerodynamic aid: air flows through it rather than under it. The chassis itself is composed of variable-section steel tubes, and has subframe holding engine and suspension assemblies. The 355's listed dry weight is 3,340 lbs.

The electronically-controlled suspension with its "comfort" or "sport" settings, is independent front and rear, with unequal-length, non-parallel wishbones, coil springs over aluminum shocks, and anti-roll bars.

The all-alloy 3496cc V8 derives directly from Ferrari's Formula One engines. The cylinder heads feature high-swirl combustion chambers, and two cams and five valves per cylinder. Fuel is fed through a Bosch M2.7 twin-injection system. Power output is 375hp at 8250 rpm, just 250 below redline.

All this power reaches the rear wheels via a single-plate clutch, six-speed transversely-mounted gearbox and limited slip differential. Stopping power comes compliments of four ventiliated discs and four-cylinder aluminum calipers. The 355s brakes are equipped with ATE ABS system.

Four our analysis, both Ferarris had to be in pristine condition. With the 355 currently in production, the key was finding Glenn Burkett's "no excuses" 330 GTS. Truly an enthusiast's enthusiast, a number of years ago Burkett traded his Lamborghini Espada for his first Ferrari, a 365 2+2, which he subsequently sold in 1983 to purchase 330 GTS s/n 9781.

Burkett is the car's third owner. "I really wanted a spider at the time," he says, "and was drawn to the 330 because it was widely hailed as the best-driving of the Ferraris." Today, s/n 9781 has 48,000 original miles on the odometer and is in better-than-new condition. Glen drives it regularly, often participating in rigorous events such as the Virginia City hillclimb

Tom Jow, our 355 owner, shares Glen's degree of gonzo Ferrari enthusiasm. Case in point: When asked why he decided to buy a 1997 Spider, he laughed and gave this explanation: "Well, my girlfriend actually suggested we consider buying a minivan, but a few days later I surprised her by coming home with the Spider instead!" Tom also owns a Porsche slant-nose Turbo. "In all honesty," he smiles, "I haven't driven it since I bought the Ferrari. I was attracted to the 355 because all the magazines said this was the best Ferrari ever built, and I figured one day I would test a Spider just for fun. That proved to be a "mistake," as it got into my blood instantly. The next week, all I could think about was that drive, so I went back and bought it." Since purchasing s/n 106656 early this year, Tom has driven it over 1,000 miles during each month of ownership.

On paper, the Ferraris reflect Jow's initial "this-is-an-uneven-match" impression, and perusing the cars' specifications hammers the point home-how times have changed in three decades! While the 330's brochure says it's a "grand touring car which embodies 20 years of racing experience," the 355's speaks of "laser welding techniques," "damping management systems," "electronic control units," and "on-board diagnostics.''

Since Ferraris have always been much more than the sum of their parts, to find out how these totals truly add up we spent two days with our face-off contenders: a warm Saturday for a photography session and first impressions, and a balmy Monday evening for extended driving through sinuous San Francisco Bay Area back roads.

I started out in Glen's 330. Its 4-liter engine is certainly one of the most musical Ferrari powerplants, its cams, chains, and valves sounding like a choir of sewing machines singing in unison, its four exhausts trumpeting a mellifluous tone. The V12 offers a surprising amount of torque down low and pulls easily to its 7000 rpm redline.

The steering is as delightful as I recall from my old 330 GTC. The wood rim feels marvelous gliding through my fingers, the steering's weighting offering a perfect compromise between manual and power assist. The gearbox is an absolute delight, the shifting effort requiring only the proverbial "knife through butter" effort. Running hard down a straightaway while chasing Burkett in the 355, a rapid 2nd-3rd textbook shift was as satisfying as any sensation I had driving either of these Ferraris.

The seats are comfortable and do a pretty good job of holding you in place. Only in the sharpest corners, when the body roll is most pronounced, did I have to hang on a bit. The brakes grab quickly, though pedal pressure isn't as even as I would like.

Though the 355's weight is some 300 Ibs heavier than the 330's, it certainly doesn't feel it. Within minutes, I was travelling at an extremely rapid pace, the car immediately giving me a great degree of confidence. Its chassis is a marvel in rigidity, transmitting superb seat-of-the-pants road feel. Point the steering wheel and you dive into turns, this roller skate of a car remaining absolutely flat regardless of your velocity.

The gearbox and engine offer completely different sensations than the 330. The V8 itself is actually pretty quiet, offering none of that hypnotically soothing V12 symphony. Instead, this 355's Tubi exhaust wakes you up with a banshee-like wail, a bellow that proves surprisingly throttle-position—rather than engine-speed—dependent.

Slightly sluggish below 4000 rpm, the V8 comes alive as revs climb. Like so many of Ferrari's best engines, it pulls harder the higher the tachometer twists: above 4000 it blisters, gaining another second wind as you blast through 6000. The six-speed gearbox is tight and light, though it lacks some of the 330's tactile reward.

The 355's state-of-the-art brakes are otherworldly. Touch the pedal and they bite immediately. Hammer them and the hand of God descends from heaven.

Surprisingly the most startling aspect of our test was through-the-gears acceleration.

Though the 355 shows more impressive standing-start numbers, in an impromptu 20 mph rolling-start drag the two stayed nose-to- to 100 mph. Over dinner, Tom and Glen compared notes. My input was minimal, for this was the first time Jow and Burkett had sampled the "opposition." Not surprisingly, road testing brought out superlatives and Cheshire-cat grins. "The 355 sounds like a Formula One car," Burkett noted. "It has a great exhaust note, and is incredibly easy to drive fast. Its shorter gear ratios are very appealing to me."

Though the only front-engined Ferrari Jow had driven was a 550 Maranello, the 330 quickly won him over. "It must be as exciting today as it was 30 years ago," he smiled. "The engine sound is fantastic. You hear much more mechanical noise than you do in the 355. The 330 still defines the driving experience, especially compared to its contemporaries: Drive a 1967 Vette fast and it beats the hell out of you."

When asked what should be changed on each, "the 355 needs more torque," Burkett observed. "I was shifting often. Yes, it has a lot of power, but I prefer shifting less." After a few seconds of contemplation, Jow grinned, muttering "I wouldn't change a thing."

Turning to the 330, Tom noted that "while it was state of the art 30 years ago, you can feel the chassis flexing when compared to the 355. I would want it stiffer, and would like the synchros changed so that you could shift a bit more rapidly."

Burkett desperately wishes he could update his Ferrari's rubber. "Unfortunately, I can't get wider tires. Can you imagine how the 330 would handle with 17-inch wheels and 50-series rubber?"

Surprisingly, neither Glen nor Tom mentioned aesthetics when asked to name the first five items that came to mind about the other Ferrari. Regarding their own cars, "I think the 330's styling is a work of art," Burkett said. "Its sculpted line along the sideis a wonderful touch, and the rear reminds me of the 166 Barchetta."

The 330's design also captivated editor Rasmussen. "It's much more interesting up front," he commented. "It has character, with its classic grille, exposed headlights, and chrome bumpers. In comparison, the 355 looks quite flat and dull."

But to my eyes, Jow's bright red 355 is anything but dull. Its aggressive, sloping nose, sculpted decklid, rakish air intakes, and exquisite proportions define today's mid-engined exotic. "The lines are one of my favorite things," Jow notes. "For being an open-air car, I find it quite beautiful."

Conclusion

Both Ferraris are incredibly engaging but do their duties in different ways. The 330 has a regal air, with yours and its feathers remaining unruffled whether you are going fast or slow. Its engine is truly enthralling, from the music it makes at any speed to the way it pulls when you prod the pedal.

To dish up the same kind of sensory stimulation, the 355 needs to go fast. Though not as comfortable as the 330, it's extremelycivilized and easier to use in traffic. But to hear that magnificent exhaust bellow, to truly give you a sense of exhilaration, the accelerator must be buried.

Ferrari's greatest technological jumps are found in the chassis, suspension, brakes, tires and, to a lesser extent, the steering feel. Unlike the 330, the 355 exhibits no flex or cowl shake, and the suspension absorbs undulations with ease while keeping the car flat through corners. Furthermore, the 355's steering has more direct road surface communication Tire grip is also worlds apart, as is stopping power.

Still, the 330 is the more engaging Ferrari to drive at any speed. Unless you are going quite fast, the 355 lacks the V12's excitement of whirring chains, gears, cams and exhaust. The 330's interior is more interesting, its dashboard and materials making the 355's regulation-stifled helm a yawner.

Over dinner, our two owners' verdict is simple. After 30 years, Maranello's road cars still possess that special magic. "People forget that Ferraris are for fun," Jow points out. "Their raison d'etre is to make you smile, and both Ferraris had me doing that in spades. In fact, I had so much fun I actually wanted to skip dinner so that we could keep on driving!"

"To me, it's obvious," Burkett emphasizes. "The 355 feels like a Ferrari. I fully perceive the heritage between our cars "
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote