Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 09:31 AM   #1
Sashamcg
AF Newbie

Angry Scratch on Car

My newly licensed son was pulling into a parking space and he hit the car he was pulling in next to. He did not hurt that car, but the right front bumper of my car is now scratched up. Does anyone have any advise on removing these scratches. Will waxing it help? I am trying to see if I can remove it myself before paying $ to have it done. Any advise would be much appreciated.

I am sorry if this is in the wrong category but I didn't see another one that would fit my question.

Thanks!
Sashamcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 09:59 AM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
No, it's fine here. I recommend using simonize if you can get it. If the scratch is not deep and more like a heavy or deep smear, that should help out. You might have to do some serious rubbing also. Hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:05 AM   #3
Sashamcg
AF Newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I would say it is more like a smear. Can I get this simonize at an auto parts store...like Pep Boys???
Sashamcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 10:09 AM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
You should be able to. It's not like it's expensive or something. It should come in a black bottle. Hope it helps.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:16 AM   #5
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
If all else fails try high speed buffing. I highly suggest taking it to a place to have that done. This will help take care of any minor scratches, unless they are pretty deep.

If high speed buffing fails, you will have to get that spot re-painted.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 03:26 AM   #6
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

For what it's worth as a one-time professional detailer I've found 'Tetrosyl T-Cut' (find it through the web?) to be an absolutely excellent product for restoring paintwork. It comes in liquid form and is perfect for gently and progressively removing paint smears (from other vehicles) plus for eliminating/disguising fine to deep scratches and of course restoring faded finishes. It's easy to apply -and importantly, easy to remove- is safe for 2-pack (clear coat) finishes and contains NO dreaded silicones or polymers. As you may know, these compounds require either careful removal or even sanding back to bare metal before any repainting can successfully be attempted.
Regarding waxes and polishes Tetrosyl 'Trade Polish', a soft green mousse delivers a superb shine for car shows, resale etc, but is not very durable. I don't know whether 'Eagle 1' brand Carnauba paste wax is the best on the market, but I've stuck with it for regular polishing because it is also a 'pure' product and if you build up the finish with a few coats it delivers a wonderful optically clear and slippery shine.
Personally, I wouldn't let a buff anywhere near my car, especially on painted plastic bumpers where the paint adhesion is tenous.

Don't forget to mask up as required with masking tape, and feel free to PM me for any application tips :alien2:
Thunda Downunda is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical