Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
a007apl
Banned

DB7 Vantage Vs 550 Maranello

"Although DB7 Vantage is not priced to compete with Ferrari’s mighty 550M, it is still worthy to see how they compare. Bearing in mind the DB7 is not a traditional Aston, you won’t be too surprised that this Aston is so similar to the Ferrari flagship - both are front-engined, rear-drive GT and powered by a large V12 with 400-excess horsepower. In our memory, the Aston should be V8-powered.
Fire the Cosworth-cast V12 and you’ll hear a wonderful yowl which is not just the summation of 2 Duratec V6s. The hollow, multi-layer sound resembles the mighty Daytona even more than the 550M. While the 6-litre capacity feels torquey at low and mid range, it is left away by the Ferrari’s 65hp advantage at high speed. The Maranello engine feels much more sporty, pulls strongly across all the rev. It still sings beautifully and spins eagerly at red line, which is not the Aston can match.

But the Aston wins the braking match. Despite of being 90kg heavier, it has larger Brembo discs all round : 355mm diameter in front versus Ferrari’s 330mm, 330mm at the rear versus 318mm. Braking power is stronger yet the pedal feels progressive.

The Aston rides on softer suspensions setting, hence a supple ride but less sporty handling. The chassis seems not as tightly controlled as the Ferrari. The less aggressive tyres obviously generate less grip. Worst of all, although the steering is well-weighted it feels dull and lacks communication that a truly exciting car deserves. While 550M feels like a leopard the Vantage is more like a sleepy lion.

After all, the Aston is not intended to be a focused sports car as the Ferrari. Its customers are those mature riches wanting prestige yet a relax motoring experience. Drive the DB7 Vantage day to day is deemed to be a joy. Doing the same to the Ferrari always require more effort and an enthusiasm.

However, it is not said the DB7 Vantage has scored the highest marks in the fields it ought to be. The quality of craft, the material used and the design in the cabin are actually lower than Ferrari. This is also why I said it is not a traditional Aston."

EDIT: Information Courtesy of Autozine.com

Last edited by texan; 02-09-2002 at 03:07 PM.
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 03:57 PM   #2
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
Ferarri

Ferrari 550 Maranello...beats out the Aston in every category in my book. V12!!! Woohoo...sometime in my life it would be nice to say..."Oh let me go get my other car that has a V12!"

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 03:45 PM   #3
crayzayjay
CFA

Not even close. F550
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:05 PM   #4
MBTN
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MBTN
The 575M will do even more...
Old 02-06-2002, 07:16 PM   #5
Spec2 Girl
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Spec2 Girl Send a message via AIM to Spec2 Girl
Jesus, that's a toughie, they’re my 2 favourite cars. I think that the Ferarri would win in the end though purely because of what it is.

1998 Nissan Skyline R34 GT-t

Spec2 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 08:06 PM   #6
crayzayjay
CFA

575M?
Old 02-06-2002, 08:09 PM   #7
MattyG
AF Enthusiast

550 for performance, the Aston for looks.:bandit:
Old 02-06-2002, 08:11 PM   #8
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
550 for performance, the Aston for looks
i agree with that, but you obviously cant have both in the same package so which would you want? i believe thats the point of the poll, to choose one of the options and not all of them!

cheers
jay
Old 02-06-2002, 08:18 PM   #9
MattyG
AF Enthusiast

I'd take the Aston then, it may be less powerful but 400hp is plenty for me - and it looks so damn cool.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:23 PM   #10
crayzayjay
CFA

good choice, though having said that i dont think i could fault you for choosing either one!
i went for the 550 but totally see where youre coming from

cheers
jay
Old 02-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #11
MBTN
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MBTN
575M is going to be the new Maranello. 5.75 liters of Ferrari Prancing Horse Power. Look in the Ferrari forum.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:38 AM   #12
crayzayjay
CFA

thx
Old 02-08-2002, 01:24 PM   #13
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mastachi
Some hot chick: "so what kind of car do you drive?"
The BADASS ME: "ummm..nothin awesome, just my red Ferrari 550 Maranello..."
what do you when a blonde throws a pin at you? ... run like hell 'cause she has a grenade in her mouth...what do you do when a blonde throws a grenade at you? ... pull the pin out and throw it back at her...
mastachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 09:56 AM   #14
crayzayjay
CFA

is that what you dreamt last night?
Old 02-09-2002, 10:23 AM   #15
texan
Writer Mod

Re: DB7 Vantage Vs 550 Maranello

Quote:
Originally posted by a007apl
"Although DB7 Vantage is not priced to compete with Ferrari’s mighty 550M, it is still worthy to see how they compare. Bearing in mind the DB7 is not a traditional Aston, you won’t be too surprised that this Aston is so similar to the Ferrari flagship - both are front-engined, rear-drive GT and powered by a large V12 with 400-excess horsepower. In our memory, the Aston should be V8-powered.
Fire the Cosworth-cast V12 and you’ll hear a wonderful yowl which is not just the summation of 2 Duratec V6s. The hollow, multi-layer sound resembles the mighty Daytona even more than the 550M. While the 6-litre capacity feels torquey at low and mid range, it is left away by the Ferrari’s 65hp advantage at high speed. The Maranello engine feels much more sporty, pulls strongly across all the rev. It still sings beautifully and spins eagerly at red line, which is not the Aston can match.

But the Aston wins the braking match. Despite of being 90kg heavier, it has larger Brembo discs all round : 355mm diameter in front versus Ferrari’s 330mm, 330mm at the rear versus 318mm. Braking power is stronger yet the pedal feels progressive.

The Aston rides on softer suspensions setting, hence a supple ride but less sporty handling. The chassis seems not as tightly controlled as the Ferrari. The less aggressive tyres obviously generate less grip. Worst of all, although the steering is well-weighted it feels dull and lacks communication that a truly exciting car deserves. While 550M feels like a leopard the Vantage is more like a sleepy lion.

After all, the Aston is not intended to be a focused sports car as the Ferrari. Its customers are those mature riches wanting prestige yet a relax motoring experience. Drive the DB7 Vantage day to day is deemed to be a joy. Doing the same to the Ferrari always require more effort and an enthusiasm.

However, it is not said the DB7 Vantage has scored the highest marks in the fields it ought to be. The quality of craft, the material used and the design in the cabin are actually lower than Ferrari. This is also why I said it is not a traditional Aston."
Did you write that?