Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Citroen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 10:40 AM   #1
zackiedawg
AF Regular

Citroen DS ('55-'76): Most amazing overlooked car in History? Look at these features!

I have been constantly surprised at how few people seem to know about French cars, despite a car-building history of over 110 years, some of the World's most valuable cars, some of the most desired and most gorgeous automobiles ever built, and an amazing number of technical innovations (front wheel drive, crumple zones, 4-wheel disc brakes). I'm not French...but one of my favorite cars is one that seems to be constantly overlooked when people mention groundbreaking or trendsetting cars: The DS!

I probably don't know enough about the history of the cars, or all the features, having never owned one. I've driven in them, but never behind the wheel myself. I can say I've never ridden in a smoother car in my life. Anyway, here are some of the amazing designs and features of the DS:

Hydroneumatic spring-less suspension with 4-corner auto-levelling and a dial to set the vehicle to 3 preset heights - the highest of 7" for bad terrain, middle ground of 4.8" for driving, and the lowest setting which practically laid the car on the ground for loading and unloading and parking. The suspension acted so quickly that it could level the car off in sharp turns, and keep the car perfectly level when one wheel drops into a pothole!

No jack needed to change a tire! You simply raise the suspension to the highest setting, drop a metal tripod under the corner you intend to change, then drop the suspension to the low setting...that wheel would be off the ground! Another advantage of the suspension was that in the lowest setting, the wheels were so far up into the wheelwells and the body so low that the car cannot be booted (clamped) for parking violations!

4 Wheel Disc Brakes - even more amazing, the front disc brakes were mounted INSIDE the hood of the car, sealed from the elements, and cooled by special under-bumper ducts. This not only allowed the brakes to remain free of road salt and water, but the rotors themselves could be significantly larger than what would fit in the wheel on most cars.

Semi-automatic clutchless transmission - you lay off the gas and shift the lever, it does the rest.

Crumple Zones - one of the first vehicles in the World to use these...making it one of the safest vehicles in the World. Along with the very stiff frame, which created a safety cell for the passenger compartment (the frame was so stiff, the car could be SAFELY driven on 3 wheels if required!!).

The headlights turned when the steering turned to allow you to see into the turn. Engineers even figured that the headlights needed to turn a bit faster than the steering, and rigged them to do so!

The entire belly of the car was protected by a belly pan from front to rear. This improved aerodynamics, and protected underbody parts.

No brake pedal!!! The car has a variable-pressure-sensitive button mounted on the floor next to the throttle. The driver puts their foot on the non-moving button, and presses down with increasing pressure depending on the amount of brake force desired. Sounds very strange, but makes perfect sense, as the foot remains on a level floor for greater stability, and the button reacts only to pressure instead of movement.

The headlights were also self-levelling. This was not an electronic function like some modern bi-xenons which have a delayed reaction after first starting the car...they were levelled, and would 'float' on their own. Even on a hilly or bumpy road, the headlights could maintain an even keel.

The rear lights were mounted on the edges of the roof for better visibility, some 30 years before government requirements for all cars to have center-high-mounted brake lights!

Single spoke steering with automatic centering...when ending a turn, releasing the wheel would restore the steering wheel to center, or straight ahead. The driver really only put pressure on the wheel when wanting to turn, while the wheel and the car will naturally want to self-right themselves.

Now - how many people know about this car? Has anyone owned one? Still own one? Have one in the family? Please post here if you have a DS, or if you love them, hate them, or want to know more about them. We need an official DS thread on these forums...this car cannot go unremembered outside of France!!

zackiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC

stupid in 10 character min. message
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
zackiedawg
AF Regular

Okee dokee! Here ya go...pictures of the DS:

Old 08-27-2003, 12:27 PM   #4
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
isn't that what they were driving in National Lampoons European Vacation
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 02:27 PM   #5
zackiedawg
AF Regular

I think it was. It was also the car that the politician was driving in New York who Tony Montana was supposed to blow up in Scarface. When he saw the kids playing in th eback seat he couldn't do it, and shot Sosa's man in the head instead.

Old 09-30-2003, 04:56 PM   #6
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Citroen DS ('55-'76): Most amazing overlooked car in History? Look at these features!

When I was younger, this car was frightening me with these big front lights. And now, I love this car. My brother has a DS (and some other Citroën : an XM, a C5 a Xsara, a BX and a CX) and it's a phantastic car. Wonderfull and so comfortable. The XM is as comfy and however 30 years younger ! You can do 500 miles at 100 mph without being tired at the arrival !
I see many DS in american movies, that's funny : back to the future, buffy (I don't see that often ), etc.

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:00 PM   #7
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Citroen DS ('55-'76): Most amazing overlooked car in History? Look at these features!

You have surely already looked at this.... http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t85200.html

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
gaytrey1987
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gaytrey1987 Send a message via MSN to gaytrey1987 Send a message via Yahoo to gaytrey1987
I miss my DS

I had a Euro version DS , a 1957 model I believe, for a short time. Driving the car confused me at first, but I loved it. I really wish I could have afforded to keep it. They are fairly expensive to license and insure in the state of Missouri (US), and I sold it to a gentleman from Arkansas. Again, I wish I had kept the car, because it was more comfortable than most of the larger luxury cars I have owned/driven!

Bill

----
1989 Lincoln Town Car
1989 GMC Suburban 1GKGR26n4KF509600
1990 Dodge Grand Caravan
And more and more and more and more......
gaytrey1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #9
Citroenovc
AF Newbie

Re: Citroen DS ('55-'76): Most amazing overlooked car in History? Look at these features!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC

stupid in 10 character min. message
Hehe ...

few pictures of very detailed 1:18 DS:

More can be seen here:
http://suntajsp.moj-album.com/album/4367265/
Citroenovc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
John81
AF Newbie

Re: Citroen DS ('55-'76): Most amazing overlooked car in History? Look at these featu

Cool pictures, dude)
John81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #11
EddyC5
AF Newbie

Re: Citroen DS ('55-'76): Most amazing overlooked car in History? Look at these featu

Now that car made history.It had a modern design to his era and has cool dotation.Just think about it.....his front lamps where going after the corners on the road!
EddyC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
fosters ice
AF Newbie

Hi guys

in the the mid 70s i used to work at a citroen dealers in stockport as an apprentice mechanic and some times for a laugh we used to set the suspension so it was in the high position jack the car up remove any one of the wheels and lower the jack down and let the car stand on 3 wheels

graham
Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
proosen
AF Enthusiast

That is one of my holy grails in the car world. Still hasn't had one but one day I sure will.

For more history on the car take a look here; Wikipedia. It was supposed to get an air-cooled boxer-six but it got to expensive so they put in the old 11CV, pity I think.

Niclas
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
strelnik
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by proosen View Post
That is one of my holy grails in the car world. Still hasn't had one but one day I sure will.

For more history on the car take a look here; Wikipedia. It was supposed to get an air-cooled boxer-six but it got to expensive so they put in the old 11CV, pity I think.

Niclas
I have three drivers, as well as 3 x 2CVs and two Traction SAvants. They are all great in their own way
strelnik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Citroen > General Discussion