Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
jeffseby
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jeffseby
I Got $2,000, What do I Do, D16z7. Please Look...

Hey, I have money to spend and I dont know what to do with it. I want to stick to performane in the engine compartment. SOHC 93 Vtec Civic EX. Mods---CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Cleared Catty, MSD Coil, ACT Clutch AND Flywheel Kit, Plug wires. Stock Enterals, Thinking about engine rebuld with aftermarket parts, or maybe Turbo, i need EVERYONES honest ADVICE, it all counts. Also are power pulley kits recommended?? NO MOTOR SWAP, DON'T EVEN SAY IT!!! talk about cams and shit.
Thanks to all.
jeffseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
darkaccord
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to darkaccord
Turbo. Look for a kit online. Don't let anyone tell you to get nitrous.
darkaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
jeffseby
AF Enthusiast

ya, no NOS for sure, well that adds one taly mark for turbo...
Thanks man
Old 08-03-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
elitefreke
AF Regular

turbo would be nice... but probably more than what you want to spend. i would start off with the engine internals (pistons, rings, connecting rods, crank-if you really have a lot of hp,) should run about $1000 for your bottom end parts if you do the research. then work on your top end shit (cam, valvesprings, retainers). this will give you a great foundation for adding turbo, or hating to say it, Nitrous (i hate nitrous). i threw stage 3 crower cams in my dohc b18a1 and my god! it was the best bang for the buck, even though the streetability kinda went to shit. email me at webmaster@midnightracing.org if you need some help finding parts. i will do what i can!

happy building!

Silly ricer... your muffler has more displacement than your engine!
elitefreke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:34 PM   #5
Thepeug
Quem queritis?

Send a message via AIM to Thepeug
Two for turbo. It's the cheapest route to power other than nitrous. All-motor is cool, but it's more expensive and time-consuming.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:38 PM   #6
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by elitefreke
turbo would be nice... but probably more than what you want to spend. i would start off with the engine internals (pistons, rings, connecting rods, crank-if you really have a lot of hp,) should run about $1000 for your bottom end parts if you do the research. then work on your top end shit (cam, valvesprings, retainers). this will give you a great foundation for adding turbo, or hating to say it, Nitrous (i hate nitrous). i threw stage 3 crower cams in my dohc b18a1 and my god! it was the best bang for the buck, even though the streetability kinda went to shit. email me at webmaster@midnightracing.org if you need some help finding parts. i will do what i can!

happy building!
Don't forget to resleeve, that costs a pretty penny. If you don't you are limited to about 10 PSI on that D series.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:59 PM   #7
Saki0
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Saki0
Quote:
Originally posted by elitefreke
i threw stage 3 crower cams in my dohc b18a1 and my god! it was the best bang for the buck, even though the streetability kinda went to shit.
Could you possibly explain what its like?(low end, idle etc.) I am in the market for some camshafts so this would help greatly. Sorry about throwing the thread off track with this question.
Saki0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 11:15 PM   #8
jeffseby
AF Enthusiast

"elitefreke and Thepeug" you both have very good points, comeing to think about it, I think I can go propably up to $3,750, so turbo is in the lead... some one sayed, if you don't resleave a stock D-series Motor you can't go past 10 PSI, is 10 PSI still good for running a turbo?? How about I get a Turbo Kit, and maybe throw in a Cam. or something. You guys are great help!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 AM   #9
funkdaflex1
AF Enthusiast

Yeah turbo is about all you can do to get awsome power out of a D series 2 grand will get you a Greddy turbo kit and a intercooler, youve got a new clutch already thats a major bonus for a turbo and another grand like someone else said for your bottum end. Ive seen darton sleeves for like $450 so its not incredibly bad but also what you really need to get is fuel management if you get the turbo a fuel pump is a must bigger injectors would be kool to but only really needed if you build the bottum end and turn the boost up. Fuel rail and regulator is another thing you should get if you dont already have it. And for the record ive boosted my motor to 10 psi well more than once and heard people do the same and have had no problems but thats just in a race. 10lbs in a race with stock internals and you should be ok. You can learn alot about turbo d16's hereturbo d16 forums
D16y8-
-Greddy Turbocharger
-Greddy front mount intercooler
-Greddy type S BOV
-Greddy profec E-01 boost control
-Apexi N1 cat back exhaust
-Tokico Hp shocks
-Eiboch Sportline springs
-AEM cam gear
-MSD spark plug wires
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-DC sports front upper strut bar
-B&M fuel pressure regulator
-B&M fuel psi gauge
-Tenzo R Pasion 5 17" white
-Hankooks ventus hr2 tires
-eclipse and mtx speakers
-Alpine CDA-7893
-Alpine XM radio module
funkdaflex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:36 AM   #10
afroeman
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to afroeman Send a message via Yahoo to afroeman
I got 2 words for ya....TUR BO...Try a Greddy or HKS. It would definitely be the best bet. My friend got an 03 Si and put a RevHard Turbo on it and said it was the best thing he'd ever done to any of his cars. Oh yeah, by the way, being told to put nitrous in your car is like being asked to smoke weed guys.....JUST SAY NO!!!!
afroeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:43 AM   #11
elitefreke
AF Regular

this is for saki...or anyone who would like some help...

The stage 3 cams are a little extreme for normal everyday use. The idle is very rough, and it takes a good bit of tuning to get it where you can keep it running. I had to adjust the idle to 2000 just to keep it running right. If you want a good cam that will do nicely for everyday driving and still give you nice power, go with stage 2. It is not as rough at idle and you still have a nice ramp rate on your cams. Most of the power is felt after 4500rpms with mine, so i had to go with a computer that would rev to 8000+. I will say this though, cams will definately make a huge difference! Hope this helps some

Silly ricer... your muffler has more displacement than your engine!
elitefreke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:39 AM   #12
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by funkdaflex1
Ive seen darton sleeves for like $450 so its not incredibly bad but also what you really need to get is fuel management if you get the turbo a fuel pump is a must bigger injectors would be kool to but only really needed if you build the bottum end and turn the boost up. Fuel rail and regulator is another thing you should get if you dont already have it. And for the record ive boosted my motor to 10 psi well more than once and heard people do the same and have had no problems but thats just in a race. [/url]
Yeah they only cost 450 to get, but then you have to get them installed $$$!

I was just using 10 PSI for a safe number, 12-14 would be more like the breaking point for the stock sleeves.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:04 AM   #13
Ricochet
Banned

Go turbo man. You gotta realize that a $1600 Greddy kit won't give you max power. You'll still have to get a ton of little expensive toys for it to run right, and get it dynotuned. You're looking at over $6k for a decent setup.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:16 AM   #14
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet
You're looking at over $6k for a decent setup.
Whoa! 6K? That must include labor for someone to install it for you.
I good turbo kit costs around 3500, if you install it yourself I can't see it being more than 5K when it's said and done.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:20 AM   #15
Ricochet
Banned

That's why I said a "decent setup" including an intercooler, boost controller, bov, guages, oil catch can, and while not needed for 9-10 psi or lower, internals. Forged internals won't really add hp, but you can crank up the boost controller a bit more and gain more hp like that. After all that, yes, take it to a shop to get dynotuned by a professional.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote