Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:49 AM   #1
PreludeMOFO
AF Regular

Talking New guy with a few cold air questions

What up fellas im new to the site but this is tite.

ok now the questions. Im lookin to purchase a cold air induction system for my manual 94 prelude vtec. Now my first question is what performed better on a dyno test: AEM or Iceman and which has better potential?

now for the follow up: Is a bypass valve absolutely necessary for my cold air intake? my car aint turbo'd so i dont know

Thanks for the help fellas and i look forward to talkin bout the wonderful world a Honda Tuning!

PEACE-

p.s. i hate mustangs
PreludeMOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:40 AM   #2
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Welcome to AF

AEM says their better, Iceman says their better, DC says their better . . .It comes down to 1HP difference maybe on a race engine

When it comes to intakes, they are all pretty much the same. The only time you need to worry about the best flow is when your pushing over 300HP & can breathe massive CFM. I have a CAI Iceman on my 91 Si, works fine & sounds good.

Bypass valve is not neccesary unless you plan on fully submerging the air inlet under water. Even on a lowered car you would need 6" or more of water to cause hydrolock. Waste of money if you ask me
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:57 PM   #3
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by jackasssi
Welcome to AF

AEM says their better, Iceman says their better, DC says their better . . .It comes down to 1HP difference maybe on a race engine

When it comes to intakes, they are all pretty much the same. The only time you need to worry about the best flow is when your pushing over 300HP & can breathe massive CFM. I have a CAI Iceman on my 91 Si, works fine & sounds good.

Bypass valve is not neccesary unless you plan on fully submerging the air inlet under water. Even on a lowered car you would need 6" or more of water to cause hydrolock. Waste of money if you ask me
I got the AEM but for what that sh*t costs, I'd say shop around. I was totally pleased but still. I almost got the Iceman but I just think it looks to cheaply made for what it costs and basically that's what you'd be paying for on either of the three, the way it looks in the engine bay, seeing as you would'nt be able to feel the gain difference between em.
B16EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:08 AM   #4
BullShifter
AF Moderator

I agree Iceman is not the nicest looking intake, but whats looks gonna do for me on the race track. Underhood looks at that . . . Maybe I should get me a clear hood

IMO $50 is too much for a plastic/metal pipe & an airfilter.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:37 PM   #5
Teampurevision
AF Newbie

This is really a matter of what you want. I agree that Iceman arn't the best looking intakes, but at the same time AEM are a bit overpriced. I recently bought a Beltronics Accelerometer, one of those the reads power, 0-60, g-forces, etc. I found that with 3 different intakes that I tried on my civic, that the difference was +-1HP. usually the intakes added between 3-5HP. I found that even the cheepest intakes from BOMZ and other company's, performed the same as Iceman, and Weapon R.
Teampurevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
esp
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to esp Send a message via MSN to esp Send a message via Yahoo to esp
yep the bypass valve really isnt nessacary because of what jackasssi bout the 6 inches of water, plus i wouldnt be too thrilled about having to cut your intake tube with a saw to install the bypass valve.

www.fotki.com/esp

THIS OG IS GONE retired for good. peace yall. create a crew for me
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:45 PM   #7
knorsk
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Teampurevision
This is really a matter of what you want. I agree that Iceman arn't the best looking intakes, but at the same time AEM are a bit overpriced. I recently bought a Beltronics Accelerometer, one of those the reads power, 0-60, g-forces, etc. I found that with 3 different intakes that I tried on my civic, that the difference was +-1HP. usually the intakes added between 3-5HP. I found that even the cheepest intakes from BOMZ and other company's, performed the same as Iceman, and Weapon R.
How did that Beltronics Accelerometer work?...I was looking at one of those because it seemed pretty hot. Work well?

You can find me at ImportRuiner.com
knorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
I don't know anyone who used that new beltronics accelerometer, but I know ppl that have used the Gtech Pro. They liked that a lot.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:54 PM   #9
Ricochet
Banned

I see your "Location" field is blank, but the reason why AEM's are so expensive is because of emission checks in some areas. From personal experience I know PA and the Virginias have them, along with CA of course. The AEM's have stickers on them showing they are 50 state legal. Bob's $40 intake doesn't... There was a page long article in the last Super Street with an STI on the cover talking about how companies have to fill out tons of paperwork and put their products through all kinds of grueling tests, but w/out that sticker you can get in trouble if a cop finds it on your car. The emission checkpoints check your muffler's exhaust gasses, and even if you pass that they can still fail you if you don't have a 50 state legal thing on your intake... go figure. Like said above, they're all about the same, but if you want to be safe get whichever one is legal. I'm unsure whether the Iceman one is legal, but if it is get whichever looks better to you.

P.S. this is my 666th post
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:40 PM   #10
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

I don't know how it is where he's from, but in oregon it's about emissions levels and sound deibals (exhaust). For the most part, it doesn't have to have a 50 state legal sticker or CARB #, as long as it passes the emissions test and doesn't exceed the decible limit. I know thats not the case in some states though, most notibly California.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:04 AM   #11
96GSR
AF Newbie

what about short ram intakes, i heard they dont have as much gains as cold-air, but dont need as many parts. Also, if one would buy either of these (SRI or CAI), would it help to buy other parts such as a new filter to go along with it.

pretty much im trying to find out what to buy for my 96 integra GSR (VTEC), and i have no clue at the moment
Old 08-05-2003, 04:06 AM   #12
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally posted by 96GSR
what about short ram intakes, i heard they dont have as much gains as cold-air, but dont need as many parts. Also, if one would buy either of these (SRI or CAI), would it help to buy other parts such as a new filter to go along with it.

pretty much im trying to find out what to buy for my 96 integra GSR (VTEC), and i have no clue at the moment
Parts wise, the Short Ram and Cold Air Intakes have the "same" parts, a metal intake tube (or plastic is some cases) and a conical filter. The difference is in where the conical air filter lies. In a Short Ram, the filter resides in the engine bay, in a Cold Air Intake, it resides outside the engine bay in the front wheel well area, usually between the wheel well and front bumper. This is achived through longer intake tube piping. Some Cold air intakes , like AEM's, have a "Bypass Valve," that keeps water out of the engine when the filter is submerged, preventing hydrolocking. This is really only an issue if you plan out completly sumerging the filter on the CAI, which generally requires at least 6 inchs of standing water, so this is really not a required product, but more of a safty precaution. A CAI makes more power than a Short Ram intake, because cold air is denser. The colder air from near the wheel well is denser air than the warmer air in the engine bay. This is why the CAI is placed there, and why it gains more power. This is also why Turbochargers have intercooler, to cool the intake charge, creating denser air. Sense denser air equals more air molecules, this equals more power in both cases. In general, you get a 1% gain in HP for every 11 degrees F you lower the intake air temperature. For example, if it is 120 degrees under the hood, and 80 degrees outside, a CAI results in a 40 degree cooler intake charge, or 3.6%. On a 142 HP engine, this is a 5.1 HP increase, or 147.1 HP. Of course, the cooler the air outside, the cooler the intake temp, so you will get more power from a CAI (or air-air intercooler) on a 34 degree day than a 95 degree day. I hope this helps explain the difference to you. But as far as parts go, both have a conical air filter (in general) and both have metal (usually) air intake piping running from the filter to the throttle body. The difference is in the filter placment, achived throw difference is the length of the air intake piping. The Shorter Short Ram Intake piping places the filter in the engine bay, the longer Cold Air Intake piping places the filter in general in between the bumper and front wheel well, where it can suck in the cool outside air, creating more power (through the principles discribed above).
Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 PM   #13
96GSR
AF Newbie

wow, that helps

so pretty much, if im willing to pay for the longer tubing of the cold air, i should?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:43 AM   #14
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally posted by 96GSR
wow, that helps

so pretty much, if im willing to pay for the longer tubing of the cold air, i should?
I would if it was me (I have a CAI myself), it will never be any worse than a Short Ram, if you think about it. Chances are the air on the outside will not be hotter than under the hood, even in the middle of summer. The Short Ram will provide better airflow than the sotck plastic box, less restrictive. Thats where the 1-2 hp increase comes from, although I know of a few cases a short ram really didn't even add that (though on the RSX it get about 7-8 more). A CAI will give you the better airflow, plus the cooler, denser air. It's a win-win sitaution. So if you want my advice, if you are willing to pay extra for the Cold Air, do it. I feel it's worth it.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:39 AM   #15
96GSR
AF Newbie

what about brand names? any suggestions or just go generic

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical