Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > ECHO/Vitz/Yaris
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
apatey90
AF Newbie

Toyota Yaris 1999 maintenance rust leaks etc.

Hi all,

I've been running a Yaris 998cc forever. T reg, 1999. It's done incredibly well never had any serious problems. A few new batteries, a few new minor parts (not convinced they were even needed but whatever), new brake pads etc.

I am new to car maintenance really. I want to learn a bit and apply the knowledge. I really want to keep the car running for as long as possible.

I've taken some pictures and wonder what people think - is it possible/economical to keep it running another 3, 4, 5 years? To me the major issue seems to be rust. Years ago people always said that rust was basically impossible to fully resolve - but maybe things are different now with new tools and laser rust removal?

There's also a hole in the oil pan that I've tried to fix with metal expoxy, with limited success. It was a hole that leaked all the oil completely over the course of a night down to its level (50%). After draining the excess oil, and applying epoxy (2 layers) it now just loses a tiny bit of oil each night. Is it worth applying more layers of epoxy? Or do I need to get it fixed/replaced?

There's a leak just before the exhaust manifold, not sure what that is, need to fix that too.

Anyway, here's the pictures...
http://imgur.com/a/85lek
apatey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Toyota Yaris 1999 maintenance rust leaks etc.

If the hole was the right size and shape, I would take a centerpunch and tap it into the hole until the hole was approximately round. Then take a short correct size sheet metal screw with a fiber or plastic washer and screw it into the hole until flush.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian R. For This Useful Post:
apatey90 (08-30-2016)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > ECHO/Vitz/Yaris