Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Accent | Verna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
michael6390
AF Newbie

1997 hyundai accent hard to start & lack of power

I have a hyundai accent 97 sohc 1.5 in good conditions. 120 000 km but I have problems to start when the engine is cold, but warm weather outside. cold start in fresh weather usually when its raining good starting. no problem with starter but engine is popping when it starts. no problem on idle and no check engine light when running. battery, genuine sparks plugs & wires and coils are ok.

I checked intake air temperature and seems to be ok and engine coolant temperature but not sure if ok. the resistance vary between 1600 to 3200 (IAT + ECT when cold) at 68F and 200 to 300 ECT when engine hot. I also checked my mass air flow sensor and it said .260 volt at idle and .235 at 3000 rpm. the specs mentionned .7 to 1.1 volt idle and 1.3 to 2.0 at 3000 rpm. maybe I did something wrong? positive lead on terminal 1 and negative to ground.

ignition coil primary windings 1.1 ohm (terminal 3-2 and 3-1) not in the range at 68F ??
secondary windings 1-4 is 11.84 Kohms and 3-2 is 12.36 Kohm

2 weeks ago I added a product to clean fuel system in tank. hyper fuel, total fuel system cleaner, synthetic formula, stock number hpf200. www.hyperlube.com

2 days after the car was like a new one, but now there is a lack of power when acceleration and the engine still popping when starting like before I added that product. it gave to the car more power only to acceleration, but not now. thought it could help to start the engine better, but that was not the case.

someone to help please, thanks
michael6390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1997 hyundai accent hard to start & lack of power

Check engine light on? Popping through exhaust or engine? Have you maintained car according to manual?
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
michael6390
AF Newbie

no check engine light. what is the difference between popping in the intake or exhaust? sound is different?

I bought the car 3 years ago when it was 85 000 km and did my best to keep it running well, but always been hard to start

thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Michael, the popping could be a lean fuel condition or a timing problem. Fuel filter? Vacuum leak? Does the car have a timing belt or a chain?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
michael6390
AF Newbie

timing belt. water pump has been replaced and timing belt at the same time. same starting before and after changes. problems to start when the engine is cold, but warm weather outside. cold start in fresh weather usually when its raining good starting. no problem with starter. it is a matter of weather. thought it could be a sensor to replace, or maybe low compression or fuel pressure...

thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Michael, Yes I was going to mention it but I forgot, low fuel pressure could be an issue here. It's good that you used a fuel system cleaner, I might try the Hyperlube products myself.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Accent | Verna