Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Transit
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Transit The original tradesman van and perfect for robbing banks.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
LostInTransit
AF Newbie

Micro Expedition Vehicle

April 18th 2015

So the old Ford Ranger decided it's seen enough of our traveling habits and thus it was time for a new car or truck. But we never expected to be driving a van. We sold the 1995 Ranger and walked 3 blocks to the local Ford Dealer.. That meant we didn't have any means for transportation for at least 30 min. Once at the dealership, we set out to find something sporty (in my case) and something practical (in her case).

One thing I learn while attempting to site in those practical cars and small trucks, is that our government up and decided to change the rules by creating a new safely rule which states that certain cars and trucks had to have their seats redesigned to better comfort the driver. To me this meant I was hunched over and very uncomfortable. But we found a loophole in this new ruling.

We found out that the larger trucks and vans are exempt from this new ruling.. thus our search really took off. having only 14K in our pocket to work with.. we tried sitting in one of those big trucks.. but 14K wasn't going to make a dent into those payments.. We're between a rock and a hard place. Whats this?.. Over in a corner lot away from the average buying public was the Ford Vans (commercial/utility vans) I asked to look at one of the larger transit vans.. but again.. way over our budget.. then I spotted 4 Transit Connects on the lot.

At first my wife said she wasn't willing to drive a little van like this.. Mind you she had seen the early Transit Connect vans and not the brand new redesigned TC. "That's Cute!" she said.. She even said the van reminded her of when she use to drive the AMC Pacer.. you know the one with all the windows, and the car's shaped like an egg.

So, I'm looking at this ugly duckling of a van.. which actually saved us and my back. I couldn't fit or even enter those other small cars.. I could actually sit in this van and feel comfortable.. took it for a test drive and was growing more confident.

While I took that test drive, Little did I know that the paper work was all ready completed, so by the time I returned.. we drove off the lot with that van in less than 30min.. Amazing how salesmen bend over backwards when you have cash in your hands.

From my understanding, the van's body is made in Turkey or Spain and the engine (Mazda 2.5L I4) was made in Mexico. Then brought here to the US via the Baltimore Harbor, where they (Ford) removes the rear seats (to beat a tariff tax) Then those same seats and hardware sent back tho where ever and place in the next set of vans.

Last edited by LostInTransit; 02-29-2016 at 09:59 AM.
LostInTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
LostInTransit
AF Newbie

Micro Expedition Vehicle

The forums have all but dried up these days.. seems FB & G+ have drawn users away. Me, I'm here cause I can't find a forum format that I like other than the old school style (this one).

Not sure anyone even reads these thing anymore, but We're on the verge of something big for the van. All attempted to acquire a set of off road type wheels failed, except one and I feel that it was more of an impulse buy just to get it over with. But now I'm regretting the tire selection we made.. Oh not the tires themselves, we love these Maxxis Vectra tires.. it's the size choice we made.

After countless hours trying to find reliable information.. a few Transit Connect owners at different forums said they just installed 225's on their vans and I agree. Those tires would easily fit on the van, but no one told me this thus we opted for the same size tires as we had before.

I'm really ashamed at how this was all handled, tire sites are unreliable.. customer server had no clue and would just as well sell you anything you didn't want or need. all this aside.. we ended up getting the 16" Sparco wheels with the 215's Maxxis tires..

But thats not why I'm here this evening.. For months I've been working on a new storage system for the cargo area of the van. I've located a company that already manufactures products like this and all they have to do is retro fit this idea into our 2015 Transit Connect. All this should start very soon.

The reason for all this storage revamp?.. is that the Transit Connect was known to be a contractors vehicle or utility van.. after we've installed our project.. gone with the typical utility van persona.
LostInTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: A Toaster Build

Any updates on your experiences?

My daughter has acquired a 2015 Connect Titanium ... just wondering what the future holds.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 12Ounce For This Useful Post:
T0ASTERvan (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
T0ASTERvan
AF Newbie

FYI: I wasn't able to login to my old account above nor was I able to have the admins adjust the account and change my screen name.. thus a new account had to be created..

Thanks for asking.. As one can see it's been 1 year and now 23K miles later.. the van has been preforming extremely well over this last year and in part due to the wider wheels and more aggressive tires.. and let's not forget the K&N air filter which was installed only weeks after the purchase of the van.

The only regrets we've had about owning the Transit Connect, is that the center console display is blocked by a molder dash panel and I'm sure if we put our heads together we might be able to correct this ourselves. But in Europe the same model TC has a storage pocket located in that area which allows the molded panel to lift open and even off.

The next thing is that we should have opted for the bard doors instead of the lift gate.. Unless some where down the road.. the newer TC includes a foot activated lift gate opening system.. which would have been a great idea seeing how the Ford Escape already has this option.

Last slight disappointment, was purely my fault.. We elected to install the 16'' Sparco wheels with 215/55/16 Maxxis tires.. and even though the van handles remarkable well more so that with the stock wheels and tires.. I should have opted for a larger tire or the 225/55/16's

On a positive note.. we're able to sleep in the back of the van without any sort of mollification.. while TC forum members tend to turn their TC's into camper vans.. we view our van differently. This became apparent while on our travels to AK.. The van handled like a sports car and thus our sport utility Van was born. The fuel savings has been very well and because of the K&N air filter I'd have to say we've increase the over all performance and fuel economy.

1 year and 23K miles later.. we're still driving and loving the van.. The only other issue I'm facing.. is that because we've taken a different stance toward how we're wanting our van to look, feel and drive.. the other TC communities have shun our comments and have even banned us from their forums.. We're also not welcome in the van dwelling community because we don't dwell in a van..

So there is a trade off in the knowing that in this day and age.. there's going to be differences within a community based and bias to what one drives. So if you're going to keep it simple and keep it real, stay here and I'll share what I know and have discovered over this last year of ownership. if you're planning to van dwell or camper van it.. there's other forums for that which I'll not take part in.

Last edited by T0ASTERvan; 09-30-2016 at 02:23 AM.
T0ASTERvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Good to know that you are still a happy Connect ... ah, "camper".

I would like to get a 12-passenger Transit, but funds are scarce.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
T0ASTERvan
AF Newbie

@12Ounce

I hear you. Things are tight as well. But there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I've been in connect with several LED light bulb companies in an attempt to find bulb replacement/upgrades. In doing so Our shop & it's engineers have become very interested in helping light the van.

This suggestion came about when we first purchased the van back in 2015. At that time the company wasn't wiling to help. Mainly because they also purchased their own (larger) van and was setting this up for shows.. Interior lighting included. Now that this has passed and they've got their feet wet, their sending me data about possible LED bulb and LED strand replacement for the van.

But just to clue those of you who are actually reading this.. we'll be replacing the parking lamps, head lights, Break lights and Back up lights and might even add some AUX lamps to the exterior of the van with the help of a neighbor. Seems he's been given a couple LED pod lights which we might end up using as fog lights.

The strand light is someone we've been wanting inside the van. We'll be replacing the side wall mounted dome light with an LED low wattage strand lights to cast a low/ambient glow around the interior of the van when the sliders/rear lift gate is open. Good part about this.. because your shop has the means to create PC boards.. we may opt to create a terminated PC board or a plug-n-play device that fits into the side wall dome lamp without "hard wiring".

One major set back, was that several Transit Connect forums have ended up either banning me.. or not allowing me to post comments.. So essentially I've taken my "build" off line.. But I may post information here once we selected the correct LED bulbs and strand. So I can't say I'll offer any image once this system has been installed..
Old 01-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
betschlk
AF Newbie

I would be glad to hear how things are progressing. New Connect owner 12/31/16.
betschlk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to betschlk For This Useful Post:
T0ASTERvan (01-02-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
T0ASTERvan
AF Newbie

Well now interesting new today.. Since my wife and I have decided to keep the van for as long as possible.. A customization/accessory company is willing to help us install a few options which we've wanting in the van.. We'll schedule an appointment soon to talk about all the possibilities of having this done. So one might get a few more updates over the coming year..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Transit