Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Aerio/Liana
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:04 PM   #1
Captdick
AF Newbie

aerio knocking/pinging

I have a relatively new 2003 suzuki aerio s model that has just over 12,000 miles on it.

The car ran great up until about 11,000 then it started pinging or knocking upon hard acceleration on the flats or going up a grade of any sort. There is no engine service light on and the dealer has scanned it and it shows no service codes. The service dept. at the dealer where I bought the car has driven it and they say they don't hear anything. They say with no error codes being displayed on the scanner, that there's not much they can do. Nice, huh?

It would also be important to mention that I have tried different grades and brands of fuel and I also added a bottle of octane booster to one tank of gas to try and rule out any issues that might be related to bad gas or incorrect timing. The end result was the same and the engine continues to ping/knock on acceleration or going up a grade.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. It seems that a lot of the mechanics in the service departments at the dealers really don't know much about these cars.

The car is definately pinging/knocking, regardless of what the dealer said about not hearing it.

Thank you kindly
Captdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #2
Tercel GTS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Tercel GTS
try a better grade fuel
Old 10-09-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
tydog8
AF Newbie

I work on suzukis and i am going to go out on a limb and say that you are hearing the normal noises of that engine. Im not saying for sure. But I know for damn sure those things are pingy sounding to begin with.

What the dealer did is right. If you cant hear it and have no history codes. ISnt much you can do. I ran a tech bulletin search and found nothing.
tydog8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
jgodfrey
AF Newbie

Just a thought . .
double check to make sure that none of your vacuum hoses have become disconnected.

cheers,
John
jgodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:52 PM   #5
DannoAerio
AF Newbie

i've read about this alot on the suzukiaerioforum, but it's always been associated with low grade fuel.
DannoAerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:25 PM   #6
Aerio in Canada
AF Newbie

Pinging

Its not the gas quality in question here. I tried 4 different brands. No luck…. Only changing to either mid-grade or high-grade will reduce (not end) the knocking/pinging. Let’s face it folks, the 2003 Aerio has a serious pinging problem. The service technician at my dealer says there seems to be a problem with high mileage Aerios.

My Aerio will not run on regular unleaded. I have one with 50,000 miles (80,000 Kms) and yes its pings....badly ... The ERG valve has been changed twice. Oh yes, The pinging gets much worse on hot days.
Aerio in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
tydog8
AF Newbie

Re: aerio knocking/pinging

UPDATE: I have just encountered a car with this exact same problem and it happened at the same mileage you said it happened.

What ever came of this? Did you get it fixed? Im going to get on the horn with Suzuki and see what I can figure out.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
tydog8
AF Newbie

Another UPDATE: I FIXED IT! All it was is the timing was off 3 degrees too much advanced. I talked to Twan at Suzuki and this is the process he said to go thru to fix it.

1.First check timing and make sure it is exactly 5 degrees advanced.

2. Check operation of EGR system

3. Check for what type of fuel is being used and have them use a quality fuel with an octane of 89 or more.

4. Run a quailty carbon remover thru system, preferably a chemical that is sucked in thru the intake system.

All I know is this damn thing was LOUD. I adjusted the timing that 3 degrees and its totally fixed. I hope this works for everyone else.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
Aerio in Canada
AF Newbie

Re: Re: aerio knocking/pinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydog8
Another UPDATE: I FIXED IT! All it was is the timing was off 3 degrees too much advanced. I talked to Twan at Suzuki and this is the process he said to go thru to fix it.

1.First check timing and make sure it is exactly 5 degrees advanced.

2. Check operation of EGR system

3. Check for what type of fuel is being used and have them use a quality fuel with an octane of 89 or more.

4. Run a quailty carbon remover thru system, preferably a chemical that is sucked in thru the intake system.

All I know is this damn thing was LOUD. I adjusted the timing that 3 degrees and its totally fixed. I hope this works for everyone else.
Mine was VERY LOUD TOO!!!!so ....the enigine was opened ....all the carbon buildup was removed (there was a lot)...and the pinging has stopped .....for now ..... reducing the timing will cost you big time in gas mileage ...and your NOX and Hydrocarbon numbers with soar .... If your State / Province requires a regular emmissions test.... you may not pass .....The Suzuki technician suggests I run a can of carbon remover through the engine every 10,000 Kms. .... (6250 Miles) other than that .. nothing more they can do.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #10
tydog8
AF Newbie

5 degrees is the spec. It was out of spec. Im wondering if this is why some people are bitching about bad mileage.

Fix your timing and youll be fine.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:35 PM   #11
Aerio in Canada
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydog8
5 degrees is the spec. It was out of spec. Im wondering if this is why some people are bitching about bad mileage.

Fix your timing and youll be fine.
My mileage is great ...6 litres per 100 Kms ...about 46 miles to the Canadian gallon on the highway ... timing isn't the problem .... carbon build up is the problem .... The new upgraded EGR valve (did you get one?) may solve that problem ....we'll see ... going to check the engine advance tomorrow
Old 05-31-2004, 01:43 AM   #12
Roof Top Pew Wee
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Roof Top Pew Wee Send a message via MSN to Roof Top Pew Wee
Hey, all. This is my first post here, as you may see on the side. I just bought a 2002 Aerio a few weeks ago, and love everything about it except the gas mileage. Granted, the fuel gague acts funky, dropping 3 bars sometimes from time to time, then going back up, but on average, I am guessing that I am getting maybe 20 miles to the gallon.

Even more interesting is that I'm driving it EXTREMELY SOFT. We're talking slow start ups, neutral as often as I can, I anticipate lights and let off the gas coasting all the way to the light hoping to not have to brake and accelerate (annoying, I know, but for the test).

I'm kinda new to learning about cars, so I'm interested in finding out about the four things Aerio In Canada posted. Anyone have any reading or advice on this kinda stuff so I can fix my mileage problem? Thanks in advance,

--Vic--
Roof Top Pew Wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:31 AM   #13
Aerio in Canada
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Top Pew Wee
Hey, all. This is my first post here, as you may see on the side. I just bought a 2002 Aerio a few weeks ago, and love everything about it except the gas mileage. Granted, the fuel gague acts funky, dropping 3 bars sometimes from time to time, then going back up, but on average, I am guessing that I am getting maybe 20 miles to the gallon.

Even more interesting is that I'm driving it EXTREMELY SOFT. We're talking slow start ups, neutral as often as I can, I anticipate lights and let off the gas coasting all the way to the light hoping to not have to brake and accelerate (annoying, I know, but for the test).

I'm kinda new to learning about cars, so I'm interested in finding out about the four things Aerio In Canada posted. Anyone have any reading or advice on this kinda stuff so I can fix my mileage problem? Thanks in advance,

--Vic--
3 months after getting mine (2003 Aerio) the dealer replaced the level/fuel temp sender in the gas tank. Its a 1 hour job. I have never had that kind of problem with the quirky digital dash board. No wild fuel level swings here.

Ok ... further to the sting of comments posted here .... Got the 2003 back from the dealer ... engine was "decarboned" .. I have the "new and improved" EGR valve installed and after 800 miles ....no pinging on 87 octane unleaded!! ..... so far so good ....We'll keep you posted.

Oh yeah ...if you're looking to replace your tires ..the Yokohama AVID T4s are an excellent choice. I just bought 4. ... handling is great .... ride is ...sporty ....and the don't have that low rumble sound of the OEM Geolandars.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #14
Galvanize
AF Newbie

Hey All!

I own a 2004 Aerio 11,000 km and it rattles...I don't want to call it "the ping" but that what it seems to be. I have put in higher octane fuel and still it rattles on acceleration. The deal I bought it from basically told me that they don't want me to bring it in anymore ...as "they can't seem to find the problem"-- so I tried another dealership, a little more helpful saying Suzuki has had other complaints but not much they can do.

I've done a lot of research into the "detonation" problem, as it's called, and eventually it does cause things such as the head gasket and pitsons to wear out earlier then normal.

I am going to keep trying to have the problem properly analyzed, as I don't feel that a brand new car should sound like a jalopy. Doesn't look good for Suzuki either having everyone stare at my shiny brand new car when it drives noisily by.

Good tip about the EGR valve, my next attempt!!
Cheers
Galvanize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:57 AM   #15
Tim the Toolman
AF Newbie

This issue does seem to be carbon related.. The new EGR valve does not seem to help on the Aerio..

Try using a Snap-On Moto Vac on the car, that should remove all the carbon on the pistons and valves.

Tim

Last edited by Tim the Toolman; 07-20-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Tim the Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote