Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > E Series
E Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford E-150, Ford E-250, Ford E-350, and Ford E-450.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
PopeyeDCFD
AF Newbie

Alternator Not Charging after Mistake

Hello, my name is Andy.
I have a 1992 Ford E-250 with a 5.8L motor and a 130 Amp Alternator. I started my project trying to diagnose an abnormally slow engine crank. I had run some errands in the vehicle and despite the slow crank it started twice and ran fine.
When I got home I turned it off, had some lunch, and then tried to start it again to move it and the starter motor clicked and then I lost all power. After a few minutes I tried again and had dash power, but when I tried to turn the motor over again the same thing happened! No start, no power. Thinking the less than one year old battery was bad, I went and bought a new one. Same result.
Next thought was it could possibly be worn wires or the starter relay located on the firewall. So I followed the testing procedure to determine if the relay was good and found that it was. I replaced it anyway and despite the still present slow crank, it started. Turned it off again and no start, no power.
Next I tested the alternator, which is where I screwed up.I charged the battery back up and managed to get it started again. Then I disconnected the negative battery cable terminal and the alternator was giving a good charge. However, when I came back to the battery to look for more worn wires because it was still giving a slow crank, I accidentally brushed the negative cable against the battery terminal and the next thing I knew the alternator was squealing and something started giving off a burning smell. Fried alternator? Yup! I removed it and took it to the shop and had it tested. Sure enough, it was toast. The tech even said it SMELLED like toast... Needless to say I was pissed!
So I bought a new alternator. The research I did on the slow crank also suggested the problem might be worn brushes in the starter motor. So after a new alternator and new starter motor installation I hooked up the battery and turned over the engine. It still had an abnormally slow crank AND the alternator was STILL NOT CHARGING!!!
I have searched and searched for the LARGE fusible links that the book says should be in the line, and cant find any. I know the link wire is supposed to be smaller than the feed, but after two + hours of searching all the wires for them ( ) all I found were small gauge links that seem too small for the description in the book, and they aren't burned or melted or anything. They look fine. I have traced all the wires I can looking for other links, but there is so much wire loom that I can't see much. I have also checked all the fuses I can find in the vehicle and the Power Distribution Box and they are all fine. In fact, there is no listing in the owners manual of an alternator fuse save for a Mega Fuse, which I can't find. So...

Has anyone experienced a situation or problem like this?
Does anyone know where other fusible links might be or the Mega Fuse if this model year even has one?
Oh, and if anyone can tell me what the reason is behind my ORIGINAL slow crank problem, that would be greaaaaat....

The book says the crank problem could be caused by the wrong viscosity oil, but it has the right oil in it.The book also says the problem could be a partially seized engine, but I just don't understand how a partially seized engine would eventually start and purr like a kitten... (God I love this motor... )

PLEASE HELP!!! I've already lost one day of the holiday weekend and I would prefer not to lose another one!

(Oh, and did I mention I HATE diagnosing electrical crap!)
PopeyeDCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Alternator Not Charging after Mistake

This is where I would start looking. http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
altfailscharging , fuse , fusible , links , mega
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > E Series