Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod
WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod Post topics for any "Works In Progress" Muscle Car-Hot Rod vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:30 AM   #1
GTRfan01
AF Regular

1970 hemi 'cuda trans-am

I have had this kit in the stash for a while, in fact i have a pile that i bought to make into trans-am style race cars (or at least trans-am inspired)

This one i am just building as i wish, not an actual car that raced in the 70's or anything, so purely inspired by those cars that raced back then and that are now gaining alot of popularity world wide in historic racing.

so i've started with the Sox & martin 70 cuda drag car, I chose this kit as it had some parts included so i dont need to scratch build as much.
parts such as the extractors, intake manifold and carbs and the wheels (which i am now not going to use)
it included an interior without a molded back seat which was a bonus for this project too.

first thing i did was make the roll cage.ideas taken from various american race cars, again im not worried if its period correct or not.

I have filled the bonnet pin recesses (the kit uses chromed plastic items that fit into these)
I will fit PE pins

front lip made from styrene

i couldnt work out a good way to modify the standard axles and wheels so i used some spare fujimi watanabe wheels with the old style screw on fitment and some brakes from a fujimi kit as well, i think they were off the EK9 civic.
i simply got some styrene tube which the fujimi brakes fit over, and as a bonus the fujimi wheels fit into the same tube so that was the easiest conversion ever.
its hard to explain but you should be able to see what i did from the pics.
As a note the styrene was cut on a slight angle on the end which glued to the suspension arms, therefore put a bit of camber on the front wheels.

GTRfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:36 AM   #2
GTRfan01
AF Regular

Re: 1970 hemi 'cuda trans-am

Ive also pumped the rear guards out a bit, the wheels and tyre combination needed it plus thats how most were back in the trans am days.

The tyres are not from the kit. the rear slicks that came in the kit were too big.
the rears i think were from a nascar kit, but i cant be sure.
And the front slicks I think are from a tamiya group A supra.
The rear spoiler Is made from styrene strip and putty.

GTRfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
mn80228
AF Regular

Re: 1970 hemi 'cuda trans-am

Looks like a great start to a Trans Am racer "homage"...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod