Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Tailwheel
AF Newbie

Which ODB II CAN BUS Diagnostic Tool?

Hello,
I am looking for advice on which code reader to buy.

From what I have learned in the US all cars sold have standard interfaces since 1996 so one reader will handle all my headaches. Is this true?

Any links to reliable web sites that review these tools?

The cars I want use it on are:
1996 F-350 7.3L Diesel
1997 F-150
2002 Mercedes SLK32AMG
2010 undecided
Thank You.
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: Which ODB II CAN BUS Diagnostic Tool?

We need to know the price range and functions you want to have any useful advice. Are you looking for just a code reader (and no other functions) or something you can do functional testing with? You could spend anywhere from <$100 to >10,000

Since you said code reader, my pick would be a Scan Gauge. They have more on their site than I could tell you. I leave one hooked up to my car all the time, I love the MPG readout... or did before the supercharger
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Tailwheel
AF Newbie

Thanks J-Ri,
I'll study the link you gave me. I am not sure what is available yet and in the past only used these things to locate bad sensors, fuel pumps and clear codes.

At this point I will spend $500 without much thought and $1000 if the functions are really cool. I would like to know if any are really junk.

Experience wise, I am capable of engine and trans rebuilds, electrical troubleshooting and have restored 2 cars in the last 38 years. However, they are 60's machines and this year I am taking over work on my wifes SLK32 AMG and going to get something cool to blast around in. I am an engineer and not been having fun with cars for 15 yers due to work.
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

I've been using an OTC Genisys for the past several years. I'm pleased with the features, capabilities, and ability to access the powertrain, body, ABS, SRS, transmission, and other computers across the different makes of cars. You can get software for the European cars which will give you more than the standard information on the Mercedes. I also have the 4-channel oscilloscope with InfoTech software that walks through testing out various sensors and systems by application.

I don't like the cost of the updates, the way OTC/SPX phases out some of the features after only a few years. The PC applications don't seem to work very well either, they definitely focus their skills on the physical diagnostic tool rather than the PC interfaces. You can pick up new and gently used versions on auction sites for the price range you mentioned.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

The Genisys is awesome, but incredibly expensive for the hobbyist.

You might be surprised at how well the harbor freight code reader works. Get the one with real-time data... it might be enough and it might not, but at least its a low-dollar intro so you can see what you need and don't need.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

The Genisys is awesome, but incredibly expensive for the hobbyist.

You might be surprised at how well the harbor freight code reader works. Get the one with real-time data... it might be enough and it might not, but at least its a low-dollar intro so you can see what you need and don't need.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
icantbelieveitspot
AF Newbie

If it's not too late there is an android app called torque pro. It can only read engine codes so no tcm abs bcm or airbag codes. But for the money i think it's the best. $5 for app, $8 for Bluetooth obd2 connector and $5 for shipping. It's wireless so that's cool it has hundreds of different pids so you can see tons of information from engine sensors(ECT TPS RPM spark advance, ect...) it can make graphs which is useful for O2 sensor waveforms. It also works as an extra gauge cluster. And it supports mode 6 on most cars but not all. And since its just an app it gets updated for free all the time.
icantbelieveitspot is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical