Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #31
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: How strong a magnet should I ducttape to the oil filter?

How about turning your oil filter into an electromagnetic filter with a little DC instead of duct tape.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #32
shadows
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
I am surprised at your attitude concerning this question about using a magnet for the capture of magnetic particles in the engine oil system.

magnets are used in todays vehicles on the drain plugs, inside the transmission and on the diff drain plugs as well as the rear diff cover.

these magnets are a problem for the pro's that do service these type equipt vehicles as many just throw away the tranny magnets and also never clean any glued on as this cuts into the profit margin.

I have used magnets over many years. I have captured much magnetic material by doing so. also I have removed many tranny's and diff covers to find much magnetic material on these internal magnets.

back in the late 1980's I got a large magnet from a powerful speaker. mounted in on the exterior of transmission pan exactly where the sump pickup is located. when dropping the pan 30,ooomi later material was sure enough on the magnetic portion of the pan in the same shape as the external magnet. also in OEM magnet had also some material. the vehicle was a 1983 chevrolet 350 tranny. at that time the mileage was 60,ooomi. In the year 2000 I sold this vehicle with 380,ooomi on it . the engine and transmission all original with no internal parts repaired/replaced. magnets do help.

I never did test out the oil filter mounted magnet. one this that I have found over 4 decades of working on these vehicles is the first year creates the most particles. after that around 100,ooomi this drops off to very little . BUT THATS WITH PROPER CARE AND USING HIGH QUALITY FILTERS.

NOT CHINESE MADE CRAP BY CHILDREN !

Like I stated before I cut them open , thats the only way to determine how good they are made and the filter media quality.

I'm now on my 4th vehicle since getting my first one back in 1967. what/how I maintain these vehicles does not go unnoticed. I expect 200.000mi.or 15-20years.
most everything stated is suspect
"pro's" who don't clean & throw away those magnets- you haven't been arround engine/transmission experts very much
how many miles did that transmission go where it performed as designed- without someone dismantling
cracking me up

have a nice day
shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #33
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows View Post

" you haven't been arround engine/transmission experts very much "

have a nice day
at least you got that correct. I plan on keeping it that way !

I forgot to mention I worked at the dealership for a time.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #34
CobraTrans
AF Newbie

That does sound like a good idea I just wouldn't put it on the actual inside.

Most transfer cases have a slot inside the case where you can find a magnet actually. It's a very common part, some transmissions have magnets at different points also, now due to the fact that there are a lot other materials in a transmission that won´t attach to a magnet, I would say it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Last edited by CobraTrans; 12-11-2012 at 11:26 AM.
CobraTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #35
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraTrans View Post
That does sound like a good idea, most transfer cases have a slot inside the case where you can find a magnet actually. It's a very common part, now I havent heard that on automatic transmissions, I believe its due to the fact that there are a lot other materials in a transmission that would attach to a magnet, so its not worth it.
on my 2000 sil truck the engine oil drain plug and the transfercase has a magnetic plug.

the transmission has a magnet inside the pan. I also put a magnet on the bottom of the pan from a large powerful speaker.

the front and rear diff have magnets on the drain plugs. the rear cover on the rear diff has a magnet mounted on the inside of the cover.

magnets are used all over on this vehicle. oil filter magnet would work to collect any small particles magnetic less than 15 microns.

this is something I never have done . if you do this on the oil filter cut the old filter open and report back if it is effective in catching much material.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #36
nuttz88
AF Newbie

any magnet will work and it will help a little bit to catch all the fine materail the the filter dont catch u can get a roll of magnet at any craft store
nuttz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #37
Bob Barry
AF Newbie

All and all the effectivness of a magnet is best to be put near the drain plug, my option. Like stated above, probably already has a weaker one.
This is so when your ready to drain your heated oil, simply pull off magnet from the bottom of the oil pan, Open drain and all the collections will wash out. This is if your pan is steel.
If you want to see if you have any concerns to deal with, let it drain thru a paper towel or clean rag. If you got some partials then if you have not done a recent repair on the top side, you are either got to change your oil more often or your driving the car too hard for its design perhaps better listen to the engine - it's has to be telling you something is on it's way out.
This works on any fluid check by the way..
Is a magnet worth it? My option - For someone who does not maintain their car - it might just delay a pending issue.. about it.
With the exception of transmissions and differentials - I agree they should have Magnets, also where you put the magnets will be the first place to start rusting so will need coat for that..

Last edited by Bob Barry; 01-05-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add - newbie learning how to use this forum!
Bob Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #38
lance_cory
AF Newbie

I know this is an old thread. However, someone might be interested in information about the topic of effectiveness of oil filter magnets.
Most of the comments here seem to be of the opinion, that they are not useful. I beg to differ.

I have been a car nuts since before my teenage years, and I am over 60 as I type this. I have been employed as a marine engine mechanic, a race car fabricator (off road racing), and a machinist at an automotive OEM. That does not make me an expert, I am sure some of you have better credentials, this all just goes to demonstrate my long term and serious interest in things automotive.

About a decade ago I was a quality control engineer for a company which makes oil filter magnets. My job was specifically to evaluate the effectiveness of our products and new prototype designs. In those day, we manufactured magnetic filtration devices for hydraulic equipment, not automobiles.

One day I asked the question of this technology would be effective in automobile engines, and I was tasked with finding the answer to that question.

Long story short, we demonstrated that indeed, engine wear could be substantially reduced with properly designed magnets. Due to the increased market size of the automobile segment of the marked as opposed to hydraulic machinery, the company eventually switched over to manufacturing oil filter magnets exclusively. I went on to become Vice President of Engineering before retiring in 2009.

With that background, I feel qualified to address the topic. However, instead, I would refer readers to a document that exists on an automotive website, that is well researched and easy to understand. I think this is allowed here, since it is not promoting any specific product, and I no longer have any personal interest in promoting any product. The document does a good job of explaining what oil filter magnets can and cannot do, and gives information on what features make some oil filter magnets superior to others.

Are there scams out there? Indeed there are. The document will explain how to spot the difference. It is located at a site called the avenger- valkyrie website in the articles section under oil filter magnets.

To answer the OP directly, you do not want to ductape a magnet to you filter. If the magnet is strong enough to be effective, it will not require ductape, but read that article for the details, it should answer all your questions.
lance_cory is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical