Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
kendu90
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kendu90 Send a message via Yahoo to kendu90
Angry Horrible knocking/bumping noise

Hey everybody. I have a 99 galant ES 4cyl w/ 82K miles. This morning, as i'm driving, I hear some kind of knock/bump/crunch under the car on the passenger side. I thought it was the plowed snow that was clumped up and frozen. However, as it happened repeatedly every 40 seconds or so it stopped sounding like hard snow(ice) and more like a big problem. Has anyone ever experienced this? The car drove fine last night. During the week I drive the car 30 minutes per day. this seemed to come out of nowhere, as most problems do. anyway, the noise also seemed to come from directly beneath the center console also. Mostly, it was the passenger side front.
kendu90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
me.
AF Newbie

Re: Horrible knocking/bumping noise

i think my brother heard some bumping sounds on the car too. im i dont remember wat he did to get rid of it but i do remember him saying to warm up the car for a few mins. espcially that its snowing in ure area.

sry if this doesnt help, but im a newbie and trying to learn stuff.
me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
kendu90
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Horrible knocking/bumping noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by me.
i think my brother heard some bumping sounds on the car too. im i dont remember wat he did to get rid of it but i do remember him saying to warm up the car for a few mins. espcially that its snowing in ure area.

sry if this doesnt help, but im a newbie and trying to learn stuff.
Guess what? I think my girl's paranoia with every single sound in her car has rubbed off on me. When I got in the car Friday evening and drove home there was no noise at all. The roads were clear. I drove to Philly Friday night and saturday night w/ no problems. I think it is safe to say that this was a false alarm. I guess the cold weather in combination w/ the snow and rain caused the road to have chunks of ice or very hard snow to keep banging up under my car. We'll see what happens when it snows again. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
me.
AF Newbie

lol, im glad nothings wrong wit the car.
me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
1999mitjd
AF Newbie

Check Transmission Mount
1999mitjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
kendu90
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999mitjd
Check Transmission Mount
Well, it seems like what I heard was actually a problem. I never looked under the car that snowy day. Anyway, today I am walking to my car and see something hanging under it. It was some sort of bracket or something that seems to have broken off the exhaust whatever it's called. I'm guessing it is the exhaust something or other, but I'm not sure. So i guess the noise I heard that day was either that bracket thing breaking or getting knocked around by the snow/ice.
My question is do you guys think it's just a simple weld job? Or something more expensive. I also hear some sort of looseness on the driver's side front tire. I hear it when I hit a bump or somewhat uneven road at slow speeds. I have never had any suspension work done.

99 Galant ES - 82K
Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
1999mitjd
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendu90
Well, it seems like what I heard was actually a problem. I never looked under the car that snowy day. Anyway, today I am walking to my car and see something hanging under it. It was some sort of bracket or something that seems to have broken off the exhaust whatever it's called. I'm guessing it is the exhaust something or other, but I'm not sure. So i guess the noise I heard that day was either that bracket thing breaking or getting knocked around by the snow/ice.
My question is do you guys think it's just a simple weld job? Or something more expensive. I also hear some sort of looseness on the driver's side front tire. I hear it when I hit a bump or somewhat uneven road at slow speeds. I have never had any suspension work done.

99 Galant ES - 82K
The transmission mount is under battery it is hard to see may need to take the battery out also check strut mount my 99 needed trans mount
Old 01-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
1999mitjd
AF Newbie

Quote:

99 Galant ES - 82K
The transmission mount is under battery it is hard to see may need to take the battery out also check strut mount my 99 needed trans mount
Old 01-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #9
1999mitjd
AF Newbie

Quote:

99 Galant ES - 82K
Old 01-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
kendu90
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Horrible knocking/bumping noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999mitjd
Thanks for the reply. Can you give me a generalized cost for this type of work? Would you get this type of work done at a dealer or at a trusted mechanic?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
1999mitjd
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Horrible knocking/bumping noise

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Can you give me a generalized cost for this type of work? Would you get this type of work done at a dealer or at a trusted mechanic?
The transmission mount approx.$200.00 struts if you replace all 4 cost anyware from $150.00 for 1 to 750.00 for 4 and yes take it to a mechanic dealers cost much more. Hope this helps

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant