Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
18sHonda
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 18sHonda
Boosting a 95' NA 300zx?

Hey guys, been a avid reader of these forums for awhile and I recently had a choice between buying a 89' 240sx with a Blacktop SR20DET in it or a 95 300zx NA. Alwyas loving turbo cars my first choice was the 240sx but looking into the great past of the Z turned my view. Anyways I bought the 300zx But I still want a turbo...now I dont have the money to buy the Full Front Clip of a 300zx TT but I was wondering do they sell turbo kits for the NA? If not why, and what are other possibilites of getting a turbo in my Z. Any info would be much appreciated.-Mark
Old 02-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

If you are looking for a setup like the one GReddy or JimWolf offers for the 350Z then I must say I do not think a ready made kit exists. However, provided that you know what you are doing, running low boost levels on a well kept VG30DE motor is certainly doable.

I would suggest that you talk with ZGringo, I believe he said he has a few Z owning cohorts that have boosted NAs.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Re: Boosting a 95' NA 300zx?

Its for the most part cheaper to save and buy the TT front clip than tring to boost a NA.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
18sHonda
AF Newbie

hmm yeah I guess ur right since what im hearing is that u can only boost on low levels on a NA engine then yeah i would save for the front end clip. Imma do some more research in the forums on what else I need for the whole NA-TT Conversion. Thanks alot guys.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #5
RB25DETZ
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RB25DETZ
Cool

nissan is racing a skyline with a twin turboed VG30DE block. I don't know if the VG30DE block is different from the 300zxtt block, but i think you could slap 2 turbos on without swaping a whole clip. and you could build it better, make itstronger, and make it faster.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

VG30DE, is a VG30DE.... in other words there the same engine. VG- Iron V block engine, 30- displacement DE- Duel over head cams, electronic ignition.

You can boost a VG30DE but with a static compression ratio of 10.5:1 you would at best be able to push 4-6PSI and stay on pump gas (93 octane).
To really build the VG30DE up you would have to spend pretty near 10k (US dollars) and even then you most likely will not be able to run anything less than 100+ octane fuel.

So RB25DETZ you can not break the laws of physics, only bend them and work with them, any other way and you end up getting beat by them. Slapping two exhaust plugs on the VG30DE and tring to build up the bottom end of the engine you will just end up spending alot more in the long run and frankly its not worth it unless you have ALL the equiptment handy for alot less than a VG30DETT front clip.

I hate saying something cant be done, but its just not practical to turbo charge something that has already been done for cheaper and more reliably by someone else. Now if you want to talk supercharging one I can help otherwise, sorry.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Hodo is right about the VG30DE engine is the same in the N/A and TT with a few changes to allow for oil in the turbo's and lower compression pistons. The important thing to remember is the effective compression ratio. The VG30DE engine, due to it's combusdtion chamber design can handle about 18:1 compression ratio with proper air cooling and proper A/F mixture with pump gas. This means about 12# boost is the limits for boost with a N/A engine without going to exotic fuels or changing the pistons. By going to Toluene and high loads of water/alky injection you can go to very high boost levels, but then you run into bottom end problems as you do with the TT and need to change some parts to add to the strength of the bottom end. If you want to boost your engine I'd do as Hodo says and consider a supercharger over turbo's for cost and installation reason's. You'll end up with a car without turbo lag, easer to add more boost, simpler to install without all the plumbing, no cool down problems and a wide power band.
Read everything in these web sites and see if this is what you want to do.

http://www.snowperformance.net/
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...fo/SCTech.html
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
18sHonda
AF Newbie

Alright then supercharge I guess it is even though I love the BOV sound to death....but uh wouldn't I be going down the same path as money wise for the TT engine price for a damn supercharger? Im only 17 and a junior in HS so money is a prob plus I just blew 1500 on my audio so yeah.

-mark
Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #9
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18sHonda
Alright then supercharge I guess it is even though I love the BOV sound to death....but uh wouldn't I be going down the same path as money wise for the TT engine price for a damn supercharger? Im only 17 and a junior in HS so money is a prob plus I just blew 1500 on my audio so yeah.

-mark
First of all how far do you want to go? Right off the bat, to TT you'll need the turbo's, plumbing, intercoolers, headers and down pipe to connect to your N/A exhaust, change the chip in your ECU and install 370cc injectors and fuel rails.
With the supercharger you'll need the supercharger, water/alky injection, Chip in ECU and 370cc injectors and fuel rails, and build your adaptor or have one made. Cost wise, much cheaper to go the supercharger route, and later on when you have enough money to upgrade your bottom end, you can increase your boost level and won't have to buy new turbos.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

depending on the setup, yes supercharging can be cheaper. BUT, supercharging a Z32 300ZX is not a easy task. Not many have tried and even less have succeeded. Most of what Albert says is true, except you will need a custom intake plenum, both upper and lower, and a custom throttle setup. These are some of the biggest minor problems you will run in to. As for the rest of it, you could lose your AC compressor and upgrade a few pulleys to 6 rib count and install a Vortec s/c in the place of the AC and run it through a 2-core front mount 1:2 intercooler and keep all the rest of your engine pretty much stock except the injectors.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #11
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

I was thinking of the Whipple supercharger Hodo. No need for a upper and lower plenum, just a adaptor from the heads to the supercharger. I used the VH45 throttle body and MAF. The supercharger sets down between the 2 heads. Just made up a underdrive pulley with a extra 8 rib grove in it. Now to change boost all I have to do is change the upper pulley. I'd give my left nut to post a few pic's but ImageShack don't work for me????? Anyone want to help me with this problem?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #12
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
I was thinking of the Whipple supercharger Hodo. No need for a upper and lower plenum, just a adaptor from the heads to the supercharger. I used the VH45 throttle body and MAF. The supercharger sets down between the 2 heads. Just made up a underdrive pulley with a extra 8 rib grove in it. Now to change boost all I have to do is change the upper pulley. I'd give my left nut to post a few pic's but ImageShack don't work for me????? Anyone want to help me with this problem?
yeah imageshack has been actiong shitty for me too...try using AF gallery.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #13
18sHonda
AF Newbie

so how much does a whipple cost and then the custom fab stuff then the Q45 stuff...gaurenteed I hopefully find the Q45 on ebay.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #14
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18sHonda
so how much does a whipple cost and then the custom fab stuff then the Q45 stuff...gaurenteed I hopefully find the Q45 on ebay.
I wouldn't recommend this unless you know what your doing or have someone with the knowledge do it for you. It does make a nice setup but not something you just bolt on. I wouldn't even recommend building a high performance engine unless you know what you were doing or had someone with knowledge do it for you.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

hell I am leary of it and I do know what I am doing.... If you dont worry about a build then you arent building it to the max.

Ok I see what you were saying Albert. But unfortantly Whipples chargers wont mate up to every head package so you have to go and fab something as a go between, like I am working on.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)