Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Bass_dude
AF Newbie

Arrow Teach me the Basics of exhaust

Im looking at upgrading my exhaust system for a 2009 Nissan Frontier. My question is performance based: would it be better to upgrade my muffler, cad converter, and tailpipe... or would an entire system replacement be a better option? Im just getting into this, so the only knowledge I have is minimal. Thanks for any advise...

If you are curious to see the systems I am looking at here: http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...A0A9A97A1.aspx

Magnaflow and Flowmaster are my choices. They sound the best from my research. However, they are expensive at $500 - $610. I could save if all I need is the muffler and tailpipe...

Last edited by Bass_dude; 03-03-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Bass_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Teach me the Basics of exhaust

What type of "performance" are you seeking - visual, towing, acceleration, or just the way it sounds?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Bass_dude
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
What type of "performance" are you seeking - visual, towing, acceleration, or just the way it sounds?

-Rod
Im looking for acceleration and sound. Borla is a good company but doesnt make systems for my model. I've done more research and it sounds that a system (cat backs) are more expensive but easier to install. No welding I guess...

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

If an exhaust is your only modification (especially just a cat-back), you won't gain a significant amount of power unless the stock system is extremely restrictive. I'd suggest making your decision based on price, look, and sound, rather than actual power gain. If you plan to add intake, engine, and tune modifications, your exhaust choice will have more effect. In that case, I would recommend a full system that includes headers from a well-known brand.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Bass_dude
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post
If an exhaust is your only modification (especially just a cat-back), you won't gain a significant amount of power unless the stock system is extremely restrictive. I'd suggest making your decision based on price, look, and sound, rather than actual power gain. If you plan to add intake, engine, and tune modifications, your exhaust choice will have more effect. In that case, I would recommend a full system that includes headers from a well-known brand.
The only other engine upgrades I plan on doing would be ignition. I dont want to void the warranty, or have to worry about malfuntions. Im not a mechanic, so messing with the pistons, displacement, valves, and the other componants would be risky. Changing my exhaust system may add ten to twenty horse power Im expecting. Thats all I need. I would like better sound though...
Another question about air intakes... Im sticking to using a K&N filter because I heard a cold air intake can damage your engine if water gets inside causing flooding. Is this true? If so, those intakes are better for cars not trucks...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

A cold air intake isn't going to cause an issue as long as you don't try to ford a river with it.

Ignition upgrades on mostly stock engines are usually a waste of money. A tune up with quality parts is all you need (unless your stock setup is very poorly designed). Save the money you would spend on fancy coils/plug wires and put it toward a better exhaust system.

What engine is in your truck? You will find better information if you ask on a forum dedicated to the truck or engine family. The wiki lists either a VQ40DE or a QR25DE. The Q series came in Altimas and Sentra SE-Rs, and the VQ series came in just about everything else, including the Z.
The Following User Says Thank You to vgames33 For This Useful Post:
Bass_dude (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Bass_dude
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post
A cold air intake isn't going to cause an issue as long as you don't try to ford a river with it.

Ignition upgrades on mostly stock engines are usually a waste of money. A tune up with quality parts is all you need (unless your stock setup is very poorly designed). Save the money you would spend on fancy coils/plug wires and put it toward a better exhaust system.

What engine is in your truck? You will find better information if you ask on a forum dedicated to the truck or engine family. The wiki lists either a VQ40DE or a QR25DE. The Q series came in Altimas and Sentra SE-Rs, and the VQ series came in just about everything else, including the Z.

The engine is a VQ40DE V6. I have checked the Nissan forum, but had nothing interesting to me. The way I found this site was from a member of another forum. He recommended me here.

About the tune setup, is that the factory chip that restricts the engine? I have seen a Frontier hit 180 mph before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P3SPqCUo48

I dont need that much performance. I just like the sound, mpg bonus, and slight hp bonus an exhaust would give me. I will go with the cat back from Magnaflow. It has the best reviews, ( my preferance)best sound, and best warranty.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

The factory tune is set up for a compromise between power, MPG, compliance with emissions laws, and reliability. When you change intakes, exhausts, etc, altering the tune can help the computer to make better use of your new parts. Actual gains are dependent on how competent your tuner is, parts choice, and how "safe" the factory tune is. Rev limits, shift points, and speed limiters are all a part of the tune.

"Bolt-on" items like intakes and exhausts can be used safely without a new tune.

I am not familiar with any tuning solutions for modern Nissans.

The model specific forums here are very slow. Check google and find a Frontier or VQ specific forum.

Watch your video again. That's 180 KM/H.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical