Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
TownCarTechi
AF Newbie

Question Radiator Fan

My daughter has a 99 Galant with the 2.4L SOHC 4 cylinder engine. The radiator fan stopped turning while she was visiting friends out of town. One of the friend's dad said he thought the relay had gone bad. I pulled the cover off of the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment and I believe it shows a 50a fuse (#17) and a relay (F) for the radiator fan.

I pulled the fuse out and it is good. I looked at the relay but I'm not sure if it simply pulls straight out or if I need to move a clip or two out of the way. I also didn't see any other relay that is the same size as "F" in the compartment. I also didn't see any other fuse or relay that has the radiator fan symbol.

How do I jumper the radiator fan to verify that the fan itself is ok?

What else can I do to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks for any and all advice.
TownCarTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Re: Radiator Fan

The relay is just tough to get out. A bit but not too much side to side wiggling while pulling with some force should allow it to come out. Best way to test the relay is swap it with the horn relay(if it is the same 4 terminal relay) and see if the horn works . If you have a test light you can check for power/ground at the fan. If it is getting power and ground then it should work, if it isn't under that scenario then the fan is most likely bad.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
TownCarTechi
AF Newbie

The engine cooling fan on my daughter's car finally died. The replacement part from the Mitsubishi dealer lists for $277.56 and the p/n is MR312238. I've looked through several local parts shop websites and RockAuto.com and cannot find this exact p/n. The dealer will order the part on Thursday and deliver to me on Tuesday unless I find it quicker and cheaper somewhere else. Has anyone had luck with getting Mitsubishi parts from a source other than the dealer?

Last edited by TownCarTechi; 07-13-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
IAL Japan
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to IAL Japan

A quick Google for your part number brought up this. From your information it seems to be the right part but u should double-check for yourself of course.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...-/260627706243

I guess it comes down to a question of cheaper part from Ebay vs. expensive part from the dealer (but 100% reliable). If you searched again there might be more parts available, I found this one quite easily so there might be more available in your local area if u check.
IAL Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
TownCarTechi
AF Newbie

Thank you, IAL Japan, for the information. My wife has good experience with eBay and tells me that a 95+ rating for reputation and the presence of a warranty is all that is needed to insure that this is a good business decision.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
TownCarTechi
AF Newbie

I have not been successful in locating a replacement part. None of the DIY yards have one, and the eBay website as well as a Mitsubishi dealer in Florida reported that the part is no longer available from Mitsubishi. The part I need is just the fan control module. I've verified that the motor itself is good, and I've verified that I have power to the module. Attached to this post are pictures of my fan motor/module. I have the single motor setup, not the dual motor setup I've seen in other year Galants. Do any of the later model year Galants use this same type of motor/module? I was told by the same Mitsubishi dealer from Florida that they do not, althought the diagram of the cooling system that is also attached looks the same. The website for this dealer is www.rchill.com. The plug going to the module has the blue wire for power, the black wire for ground and an orange/blue wire in the center which I believe is probably for a sensor. What harm is there to simply bypassing the fan module entirely and wiring the blue and black wires into the motor? This will cause the motor to run at a single speed and maybe this will be too fast. Could someone please provide advice?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
IAL Japan
AF Newbie

Is the part number you have, MR312238, definitely correct? I can have a look for you in Japan if you'd like, though there would be no guarantee (until I ask Mitsi.) that the Japanese Galant was made using this same part. The number does look like a Japanese part# though.

If you want to try rewiring it yourself this will be cheapest & simplest of course, but I don't think I'd do it myself, the control module is prob. there for a reason. I'm not an expert in electrics though..
Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
TownCarTechi
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Radiator Fan

HI IAL Japan, yes, the p/n MR312328 is correct. I was able to finally locate the part on RockAuto.com here in the states at a very attractive price and it looks like it is the entire fan assembly -

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=2181

When you click on the link above, goto the first part ($56.79) and click on the diagram - that is the correct part for my daughter's car. I hope and pray that RockAuto will not contact me and tell they cannot get the part - I just ordered it last night.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
IAL Japan
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Radiator Fan

It seems very cheap considering what Mitsubishi had it for, but if its a universal part rather than OEM I suppose it's within the realms of possibility.

Hope it's the right part! let me know if you need any more help though
Old 08-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
TownCarTechi
AF Newbie

The rockauto website sent the wrong part by mistake and finally told me they could not locate the correct part. After additional searching, I was able to find the correct part (Denso 499300-3051) in Europe. A friend over there found it and is sending it to me. Should arrive any moment. It is the smaller assembly, but at least I can take the fan module/motor out and put it into my daughter's car. I've never had this much trouble getting a part to repair a car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg europe part.jpg (41.0 KB, 1 views)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant