Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
wrenchfenatic
AF Newbie

2.2 L Engine Turns Over Hard

I got this daytona for 150 dallors needed a timing belt. So i got it all back together to find that the timeing was all messed up. Once we got it to run for about a minute on its own the engine stoped and would not turn over again. I took all the spark plugs out and tried turning the engine over using the cam shaft and was unable to move it. The battery had lots of juice. We through it back together and tried it again for the hell of it and the engine actually turned about half way over. This engine is not vapor locked ( note i had the spark plugs out) and has plenty of oil in it. Any explenations on why its almost imposible to turn over?runaround
wrenchfenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
jeffcarr
AF Newbie

Re: 2.2 L Engine Turns Over Hard

pull num 1 plug turn engine over clockwise not by the cam sprocket by the cranke shaft look at the timing window on tranny next to head to your right make sure mark is at o and lined up with groove on fly wheel now take a small screw driver and stick it in num 1 cyl to verify Tdc now youre on num 1 top dead center. youre cam timing sprooket hole should point strait up in middill of valve cover center line loosen belt tention turn intermittent shaft to whear roter points to num one cyl 10 30 am now put on belt carefully so nothing moves tightin belt cheak timing window tp make the crank didnt turn looson dis clamp a littel it should fire right up with life if i cranks over hard turn distributercouter clockwise util it turns over normall with no kick back good now set timind by dissconnecting temp swictch lead on front of engine on water housing start up set timing to 12 degrees bftdc you should be golden now run high octane for turbo cars and never lug thease engines when thear hot you will the damm head gasked jeff71
jeffcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
87 Shelby Z
AF Newbie

Re: 2.2 L Engine Turns Over Hard

You probably have it running by now, but check the timing marks and the timing belt tension and torque the idler bolt to 45 ft #. Also make sure the crankshaft sprocket bolt is torqued to 85 Ft# as it can/will shear the woodruff key if not torqued correctly. If the timing belt loosens it can jump teeth and cause the problems you mention, possibly leading to piston/valve interference.
87 Shelby Z is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona