Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
lindude
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to lindude
Unhappy lincoln markVII air suspension droping(please help)

i have just purchased a 88' lincoln markVII.great car but the front suspension drops all the way down after driving it a short distance.both front sides drop at the same time.if i let it sit and idle for a few minutes the car goes back up.and if i leave the car parked for several days it stays up.only drops while driving it.please help me this is driven me crazy...
lindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
Matthew_14
AF Regular

Re: lincoln markVII air suspension droping(please help)

You have leaks in your front air bags. The cracks are not exposed when the car is at it's parked highth so it does not leak down when parked. However, when driving the cracks are exposed as the bags contract and expand causing the front of the car to drop. Any questions just post back and I will be glad to help as much as I can.
Matthew_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 AM   #3
lindude
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to lindude
thanks for the reply matthew...it does make sense to me.i will remove them and replace them.when i do pull them will i be able to see the cracks upon visual inspection?
lindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Matthew_14
AF Regular

Yes, you should be able to see the cracks at the bottum of the bag where it folds. There should be several small vertical cracks where it folds under. If you need any help with suppliers or help with the install once you get the parts just post back and I will do my best to help.
Matthew_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Adam012985
AF Newbie

Another problem area with these is the rubber o-ring that is on the part of the air dryer that hooks to the compressor, usually replacing the o-ring will make the air bags rise quicker and also help them stay up longer. Somtimes an air leak can be heard at the pump for this reason.
Adam012985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
ErickTR
AF Newbie

These old lincolns have height sensors on them. They work in concert with the opposing sensor.
You have two sensors in the front. One will determine the height of the car, the other will match that height no matter what it is.
Either sensor can be the decider.
If you have a leak on one side and it drops, the other side will drop to match the height.
The leak is usually within cracks in the lower air spring but it can also be a faulty solenoid.
Each spring has a solenoid that allows a controlled amount of air to enter and leave the air spring.
One of these could have gone bad.
Use soapy water to help you find the leak.
If you do have to replace a bag or a solenoid be careful to replace the o rings back exactly where they belong to assure a good seal.
If you don't know how to change the springs on a air ride lincoln, Check out this link.
http://reviews.ebay.com/RR-Lincoln-M...00000001802303
ErickTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
himself1934
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to himself1934

I have a slightly different problem with my 1990 Bill Blass VII in that it is only the left rear which will collapse and it does in while driving, and sometimes it will go down while parked. There is no rhyme or reason to when it will go down, and I just need to pull off the road, and restart the engine. I had the mechanic check, and it appears the bag is not leaking (water test) so I am open to any suggestions. I have purchased new KYB shocks and struts but have held off having them put on until I can somehow crew the lazy left hand rear bag.

Thanks in advance.

Himsefl1934 1990 Mark VII Sivler 58k
1994 Mark VIII Red Garnett 56K
2008 Ford Mustang GT Orange 300 miles
himself1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

How old are the air springs in your Mark?? The average life of the rubber is 15 years. If the air springs on your car are original, they are living on borrowed time.

One possibility is that you have a small leak in the air spring that sometimes "self-seals" with enough air in the spring, but begins to leak when the spring collapses to a certain point. I had the same thing happen on one front air spring in my 1989 BB. You said your mechanic checked it with a water test. Did he use plain water or soapy water?? Soapy water is preferred.

Another possibility is a faulty spring solenoid on the left rear that might not seal tight all the time.

I replaced both front air springs on my Mark, which were original, with rebuilt air springs from Bagmaster (www.bagmasterair.com). There are other companies out there and they are all less expensive than OEM Ford. I did the work myself and it was very easy.

If you haven't done so already, check out the following web site:
www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
himself1934
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to himself1934
Talking Re: lincoln markVII air suspension droping(please help)

Well I finally took positive action on my sagging Mark VII. I replaced the shocks with new KYB's and at the same time had the two rear air springs replaced as well. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with a Mark VII that acts like it just came off the assembly line. Total investment was $ 312.00 for parts and $ 180.00 for labor. I wasted too much time thinking instead of gong ahead and taking the proper action.

himself1934
Mark VII
Mark VIII
2008 Mustang GT
himself1934 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > General Discussion